Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling

Ok help people I need some tips!! I think I have hit a platuea I'm at about 84 pounds down my goal is another 50. I had my surgery last sept 2013 so it's been well over a year. I'm really frustrated!! I have had quite a few fills, I get stuck regularly so I feel like another fill isn't an option at this time. I eat 1000-1200 calories a day!! I use my fitness pal, and I just can't seem to budge the scales lately! I paid for my surgery out of pocket, and I'm really getting down on myself right now. I feel like a failure! Any ideas or tips to get the loss kick started again???

Just asking.... Have you vamped up the exercise? Or switched the exercise routines? I was told that your body gets used to a routine, so do things a little differently while exercising..... You know... MIX IT UP. Sometimes that reboots the weight loss.

getting stuck regularly is not good. my doctor indicates up to 3 stuck issues a month is normal. okay now my suggestion. you may not be filled to the amount you need to be to be satisfied. what you need to do is really concentrate on eating tiny, eating slowly, eating smaller and see if you can stop the stuck issue. if you can do this and go a few weeks without getting stuck than you can get another fill. our stuck issues is generally our own doing not the restriction of the band. close your eyes when you are eating and imagine the food as it takes its trip down your esaphagus and into your pouch and than the seconds it takes to go through the band. and than take another bite of food. i make the mistake of filling my pouch and thinking i am stuck because of a full pouch that takes 20 min's to empty. just try this with 1 meal that generally causes you to be stuck. i am learning a whole new word , patience. i want to eat mouth full after mouth full . even though i make it small i eat to quickly for my band. now with all of my posts discuss this with your doctor , they know what a normal amount of fill the different size bands generally will cause the green zone. set a timer, someone uses a egg timer to count bites of food. try that. good luck

I'm confused..... Sept 2013 isn't well over a year. It's only 5 months?

Losing 84 pounds is certainly not being a failure. Bravo!!!! ALL OF US hit a plateau throughout the journey so that the body adjusts to the changes. It's a normal part of the process. Don't worry you're fine.

I'm confused..... Sept 2013 isn't well over a year. It's only 5 months?

sorry I mean Sept 2012

getting stuck regularly is not good. my doctor indicates up to 3 stuck issues a month is normal. okay now my suggestion. you may not be filled to the amount you need to be to be satisfied. what you need to do is really concentrate on eating tiny, eating slowly, eating smaller and see if you can stop the stuck issue. if you can do this and go a few weeks without getting stuck than you can get another fill. our stuck issues is generally our own doing not the restriction of the band. close your eyes when you are eating and imagine the food as it takes its trip down your esaphagus and into your pouch and than the seconds it takes to go through the band. and than take another bite of food. i make the mistake of filling my pouch and thinking i am stuck because of a full pouch that takes 20 min's to empty. just try this with 1 meal that generally causes you to be stuck. i am learning a whole new word , patience. i want to eat mouth full after mouth full . even though i make it small i eat to quickly for my band. now with all of my posts discuss this with your doctor , they know what a normal amount of fill the different size bands generally will cause the green zone. set a timer, someone uses a egg timer to count bites of food. try that. good luck

You bring up some great points!! Learning to chew longer and taking smaller bites is a problem for me and was my New Years resolution lol I know when I get stuck it's usually my fault for swallowing to fast! I get stuck daily so I'm definitely gonna work on that!! I hear about the green zone I can't wait to get there. I feel hungry often only 2-3 hours after eating, especially in the morning. So I may need a fill, I will try wheat I suggest and see if it works.

Just asking.... Have you vamped up the exercise? Or switched the exercise routines? I was told that your body gets used to a routine, so do things a little differently while exercising..... You know... MIX IT UP. Sometimes that reboots the weight loss.

Yes the exercise is a big thing I know I need to switch it up and do more!!

I think you're doing beautifully! 84 pounds is amazing and maybe your body is just adjusting to that before starting the next loss period. Don't give up! And don't forget it's February and I don't know where you live but it's a long winter here and easy to get discouraged in all aspects of life. Think spring!

I was banded the same month as you and we are about at the same amount loss. 84 pounds is certainly NOT failure. It's AMAZING!!! If you are being honest with your calorie intake then you're doin great. Maybe try to alter the percentages you intake ie: decreasing the fat % of your diet and increasing Protein. When I was in my plateau i was consuming somedays 50% of my calories from fat. Once I decreased that I was not only full longer but the scale moved. And changing up the workout is very big. Good luck

Hello, I feel like I have struggled since having the lapband done, I have so many bad habits from the get go, Have gotten rid of some but many to go, and carbs is just not leaving, I feel so guilty everytime I eat, I had my surgery Oct 2013 and its April 2014 and I have only lost 30 pounds, I have slowed down eating tremendously and chewing my food till there's nothing left. When I hear people who eat only 4 oz of something or less at a meal I just cant see that...I eat to much at a meal just to feel full. I have had 3 fills, the only time I have had any issues swallowing is when I didnt chew some thing up good enough. I feel like I have let myself down and feel foolish around peers when I have lost so little. Really in need of some support....

Well Lana08...I think you are doing awesome!!! and there has been lots of suggestions giving on this post...so best wishes to you that you get off that plateau and get moving in the right direction. Nothing is simple with the lap band we are all on a learning curve...but it is a good thing to learn something new everyday!!! So hang in there...the needle will move soon if you listen to some of these wise folks!!!

As for Brenda1958...please don't kick yourself so much...you are farther along than I am...but sometimes I feel that I eat too much too. I was told increasing my Protein each day would help...so I did and it works!!! just remember that when they say eat about a cup a food per meal that you have to do your part too, the band only works if the bander does their part too. You'll be fine...but according to loads of folks on here...you might need another fill...I'd get back in touch with my doctor if I were you. I am sending you some prayers that things get better for you soon!!!

To all that made posts on here...YOU ARE ALL THE BOMB!!! I JUST LOVE YOUR IDEAS-THEY ARE GETTING ME THROUGH EACH DAY!!!

Ummmm...you're doing great...I had mine in oct of 2012 and have to date only lost 55 lbs. been unfilled twice and now finally getting back to some help from the band. Not set where it needs to be but getting close!

I too am very frustrated but I just think back to the weight I started and am thankful I am not there anymore. It could be better and it will get better but I know I will never be thin but I will be healthier and that is all that matters. I will keep plugging away and I keep telling myself ... losing slow is better that gaining.

Dont be down on yourself...that is a fantastic weight loss already :)

Edited by PJ Geeser

I really like reading about other banders. Try to remember what life without the band was like. Lose 20 gain 20. Maybe more Over and over and over. Feel like failure. Now. It's not as much loss as you want but it is staying off. And w/o your band perhaps you would steadily be going UP.

For me I am so grateful to change my life at 50 !!!

7 years plus and only a little came back. And I can work hard and get most of that off

Don't despair. Life is better for almost all of us

Even 5% -10% of your body weight off helps you be better❤️