Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Introducing myself: Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery

I have a terrible memory side effect from graves/ thyroid. I knew going in that I would always forget to take my Vitamins it's especially hard because some need to be taken several hours apart. I set my alarm on my iPhone to go off 4 times a day to remind me to take them. I also carry a small stash in my purse so that I have no excuse. For me the Protein and Vitamin was so stressed pre-op by my NUT!

I am also a very slow loser thus far 3+ weeks post op I have only lost 16lbs :(.

I also track all my food on MFP.

Good luck!

Sallyawbc,

Thanks for the great advice and words of encouragement. Exactly what kind of pureed Soups do you eat? Cream of chicken or pureed Soups in the box or can such as Tomato, etc. Yes, I will cut out the chocolate, although it's only been once in awhile. My go to food has always been carbs of some sort and for some reason, I gag easily now and most foods smell weird to me. I know I sound like a nutcase, but I thought my green tea smelled like fish yesterday... yuk! Cheesesticks are the easiest form of Protein for me now along with a little Peanut Butter. Dee 1111 recommended I start keeping a food log, which is an excellent idea. I think most days I am eating around 500 calories, so a log will be great. I also saw a youtube video that a husband and wife made who both had gastric bypass. They recommended Fitness Pal to daily track food. Anyway, it's nice to know you're not the only one struggling. Best of luck to you!

You're not a nut case. For a month or so after my surgery everything smelled and/or tasted 'funny'. It will gradually go away. I am still a somewhat picky eater (never was picky before!). And I've gotten weird about expiration dates - I've been throwing things out a week or more before the sell-by or use-by dates. I know it's all in my head but I imagine the taste is 'not quite right'. :-)

Hello Jane..Let me reassure you, that at this stage of your journey, if you didn't lose weight, you'd probably be the first in WLS history not to do so!...I cant even imagine what one could eat or not eat, at this stage to STOP the natural progesssion of WLS... I don't even want to do my research and find out. Cuz there's always someone out there who CAN buck the system because they didn't follow instruction.

That's not your case. I am 4 years out and still cant eat freely like most WLS people can. My "CANT EAT " list is so fricken longggg! now THATS depressing. You, like me, might be one that has to eat 'organic' as much as your wallet will allow, I heard you say 'migraine'. Now that your a WLS person, you might be more sensitive to foods then you were before, I am.

It has been a long ass journey to find foods that DONT make me sick or drowsy. Im still looking. I now have staple foods like--> chicken, all veggies, oatmeal, and some very specific fruits ( I don't like them all). So longs as your don't eat gobs of sweets, treats, and crappy dead process foods, you should be ok. My Doc says if something makes you sick this month, try it again next month. I don't eat breads, pasta's, sugar, potatoes (only sweet potatoes) rice, or any dairy (the surgery made me Lactose). At first it was a down right FIGHT not to eat those things. It was what I was use to. But now I don't miss them. Im still holding at 115 lbs, 4 years later. The food struggle is on going but I plow threw the sick feelings, and makes notes to self. Oh and KEEP A food LOG!!!!!..it is sooooooooo important to look back on later. Its my survival and accountability guide.

I know what you mean about Protein. I make my own shakes, I never buy them. I use rice Protein, Water, blueberries (frozen) mixed fruit (frozen) bananas, ground flax (keeps the pipes clear, if ya know what I mean..lol) and cinnamon..blend the hell out of it in my 'bullet' and Im good to go. NO chemical in my shakes, and I trade off..I have choco flavor also and make that with coffee instead of Water, for a 'starbucks' flavor cofffe shake..yumm..the combos are endless. Think outside the box. The food world is at your fingertips, we just have a lot of experimenting to do. Your taste buds are waiting, don't be afraid...good luck :)

Hi,

I just wanted to follow up and let you know that today I started tracking in MyFitnessPal. Wow, it has really changed everything for me. First of all, it's really cool, second, it's really puts there in black and white exactly what you've eaten and I can be accountable instead of always guessing how much protein, etc. I've eaten. it's 7:30pm and I've had 700 calories today, and 38 grams of protein. I am thrilled because I've up'd my protein today with Light and Fit Greek Yogurt, eating a Medifast Soup that had 12 grams of protein and eating 3 chicken breast nuggets at dinner. I bought the Carmel Corn Rice Cakes and tomorrow will try some natural Peanut Butter on them. Before tracking, I would just eat nothing or grab some crackers w/PB on them when I was starving where now, I am super motivated to up my protein and hopefully I will feel better and my weight loss will be better. I need to still find the articles you talked about and I have to figure how how to copy and paste my ticker. I've tried, but it's not working. thanks again for the great advice!

Jane4180, Here are the Soups my MD recommends, Campbell split pea, condensed Beef Barley, chicken veg, chicken gumbo, clam chowder, Italian wedding, lentil.

Puree until all lumps out or strain. I love the pea Soup and clam chowder, I have only 1/3 a cup, if I have more I get sick.

Saw my MD for post op and he advanced me to puree mushy food. Had refried Beans and cheese for lunch, great Protein and tasted so good. dinner was pureed dark chicken with mayo and a little cheese. He was very pleased with my progress so I feel like I'm on the right track. He said the cheese sticks were good also.

Hope this helps, let me know!

Jane... You seem to know what to do and what not to do! The surgeon just gave you the tool.. Visualize the 30#s as 120 sticks of butter! That is a lot of fat that you are not carrying around anymore! Look to your own success's not others! Your body is doing exactly what it needs to do. I drink a bottle of Isopure clear fruit flavored Protein Drink daily... It gives me 20 ozs of Fluid and 40 grams of protein... NO carbs! The apple melon is good! I don't eat meat so the 80grams of Protein is always a struggle but I am so worth it.. Just ask my 10 Grandkids! Lol. I also eat cocktail / small salad shrimps almost every other day! Just chew awhile and only eat 3 of the bigger ones.

You've got this!! My stalls last for weeks but they always level off each time! Positive attitude and belief in the journey will be your best friend! Focusing on just ME is difficult for woman our age... But it's your turn! Learn to be selfish for YOU .. Don't think twice about others the next year! Celebrate our differences but remember you have many caring friends all sharing in this WLS journey! Please add me as a friend! I am here for ya! Dyan in Ohio ( buried in snow)

I'm also new to the post-op world having had my surgery in Jan 2014. I also have stopped losing weight already. Well, for over a week now, not one pound gone. Of course, it hasn't gone UP either but very frustrating because I also heard people say how the weight just melted off. I'm down about 20 pounds but it isn't obvious to others yet and they all look at me like it is not working. Kind of embarrassing.

But protein--have you tried edamame? It's a bit carby but very high in Protein and my nutritionist said to go for it. Many restaurants have it on the menu now so that has saved me when I have gone out to dinner.

When I have cottage cheese or yogurt or ricotta cheese, I mix them with sugar free Jello and it tastes great then. Sometimes I mix in the Jello that is made and sometimes I mix in the powdered jello without making it. Totally changes the flavor of cottage cheese, etc. which isn't that tasty on its own. Some people put in cinnamon and vanilla extract, too.

I would say that for people like us, it's going to take a bit longer but we'll get there. At least that is what people keep telling me.

I have also had the thought that I will be the first person to not lose any weight after having the surgery! I guess that is a common thought. lol

best of luck!

I'm also new to the post-op world having had my surgery in Jan 2014. I also have stopped losing weight already. Well, for over a week now, not one pound gone. Of course, it hasn't gone UP either but very frustrating because I also heard people say how the weight just melted off. I'm down about 20 pounds but it isn't obvious to others yet and they all look at me like it is not working. Kind of embarrassing.

But protein--have you tried edamame? It's a bit carby but very high in Protein and my nutritionist said to go for it. Many restaurants have it on the menu now so that has saved me when I have gone out to dinner.

When I have cottage cheese or yogurt or ricotta cheese, I mix them with sugar free Jello and it tastes great then. Sometimes I mix in the Jello that is made and sometimes I mix in the powdered jello without making it. Totally changes the flavor of cottage cheese, etc. which isn't that tasty on its own. Some people put in cinnamon and vanilla extract, too.

I would say that for people like us, it's going to take a bit longer but we'll get there. At least that is what people keep telling me.

I have also had the thought that I will be the first person to not lose any weight after having the surgery! I guess that is a common thought. lol

best of luck!

Thanks for your post and suggestions. It's great knowing that there are others out there going through the same things you are. I think because of our nature, we tend to think "we will be that one who does not succeed" or the one that this procedure does not work for. I told my surgeon that yesterday and he basically chewed me out telling me that weight and emotions should have nothing in common and one should NOT affect the other. I told him weight and emotions always go together and I guarantee that every one of his bariatric patients feel that way. Some more extreme than others, but he felt they are two separate things. Maybe in a perfect world when you are 280, 300, 400 lbs. that it in no way affects how you feel about yourself or does not affect your well-being, but with him weighing around 130 and never having a weight problem, he could never understand the marriage of the two and the constant struggle to stay emotionally healthy in spite of what that damn scale says!!!!! I cried in his office yesterday at my 7 weeks check up as he told me I should NOT be concerned about the weight loss, yes, he said that. He said I was obsessed since I started tracking on MyFitnessPal.com. I am only doing that so that I can be sure I am getting my Protein in. Before logging my food, I was getting in less than 10 grams of protein a day. In the last 2 days, I have gotten in 58 grams on day and 40 yesterday. I am not counting calories at all. The scale has barely moved in weeks. I'm done 3 lbs. this morning; I attribute that to my logging my food and being mindful of my protein and applying many great tips that folks on this website have shared with me! :) He also was angry that I would look to the internet for advice instead of relying on the "training" I was given prior to surgery. My feeling is that I am proud of where I am today as we all know this is a huge journey and learning curve that is individual. I love learning and sharing on this site; that's what we do right? Share, learn, grow! I tend to keep everything in and deal with life on my own, that is how I was taught. And with my roux-en-y surgery, who do I have to really talk to about it? Most people are pretty much just watching for results. We are the ones going through the daily struggle and making changes. I would say the majority of people I know, except for my mom, feels that the surgery is a way of cheating or an easy way to lose weight. They are not mean about it, but they think once that surgery was done, that the weight basically just melts off! It's so much more than that, but no one understands the struggles(good and bad) except other folks who have gone through it. I use both the knowledge from my surgeon and what others have shared with me. Anyway, thank you for your suggestions, it means the world to me. Just keep on keeping on....... whether we are losing fast or slow, as long as that scale is going in the right direction, it's good. I know for me, I am focusing on increasing my protein, getting my Vitamins and finally starting to do some form of exercise. I had 3 surgeries on my left in 5 months and have some permanent damage/numbness and 2 broken joints still, but... I can ride a bike or use a rower. Just need to do it!!!