Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is there any foods that you totally miss?

I can eat pretty much anything since being banded. As long as I chew it to death, I'm fine. But some things take a bit TOO much chewing, so I don't bother anymore. Steak being one of them. If it's a really good filet, then it's okay. But overall, unless it's ground meat, I don't gravitate to it anymore.

I don't really miss any foods. What I do miss, is being able to snarf it up; whatever I'm eating. Sometimes I just want to take a BIG bite, and finish what's on my plate. It's not the food I miss, it's the old way of eating the food. And in the next breath I will tell you how much I LOVE my band! If it weren't for this surgery, I would have probably gained another 10-15 pounds since last March. The band/plication is doing its job......a miraculous one at that :)

Krispy Kream Donuts!!! not the fluffy ones, but the dense, fritter yummy deliciousness...come to think of it, i miss anything fried. mmmm county fairs and their giant turkey things.

County fair food - yeah! Now, my husband will get something like garlic fries and funnel cake, and I'll have a couple of bites. But the days of having a big county fair food-fest, are long gone. But the best part is that I don't leave the fair feeling bloated & swollen, having to unzip my pants in the car. Ohhhhh.....how I don't miss that.

Oh, did I mention how much I love my band?!

Nope, none. My band is there to keep me from eating too much and keeping me satisfied sooner. If I really want something I'll have it. Of course, some foods are harder to have than others. Steak, hot dogs, sushi are foods I can eat but I prefer to eat them in my home due to high stuck factors.

Anything that is not good for you is what I crave.

I'm like Mrsto. I eat everything but would love sometimes to eat alot of it...especially Pasta. Thank goodness I don't but there are times I pass an Italian or Chinese restaurant and want to have a whole baked ziti or pork lo mein. So because I can't do that, I don't want to bother with a few spoonfuls if I'm by myself. If I'm with others, then I can try a taste of what they ordered and I'm OK.

I'm like Mrsto. I eat everything but would love sometimes to eat alot of it...especially Pasta. Thank goodness I don't but there are times I pass an Italian or Chinese restaurant and want to have a whole baked ziti or pork lo mein. So because I can't do that, I don't want to bother with a few spoonfuls if I'm by myself. If I'm with others, then I can try a taste of what they ordered and I'm OK.

We have a Chinese stir fry a couple times a month. It's good but OMG I loved Chinese buffets. Scary to think how many calories were in those 3 plates of food I devoured? And all the deep fried wings, rolls, crabcheese wontons?

We have a Chinese stir fry a couple times a month. It's good but OMG I loved Chinese buffets. Scary to think how many calories were in those 3 plates of food I devoured? And all the deep fried wings, rolls, crabcheese wontons?

Okay TMF, now you just pressed my appetite button! OMG, crab cheese wantons?? Wings??? It must be coming up on lunch time, because I'm salivating :D

If you think you can handle the numbers TMF, plug in all that food into myfitnesspal. I did that several months ago just to get an idea of what I was consuming pre-band and I was horrified...though not surprised to find out that I was eating sometimes 3,000+ calories a day. Actually...it's a damn good idea for people to do that. It's not just a great way to track your eating habits now, but to come face to face with just how much we were eating before being banded. There's no way you can whine and say, 'but I don't eat that much' when you see it in black and white so to speak....

I just remembered this one and posted it on the other food thread:

"My Exception: I haven't had the guts to try a pastrami on rye. OMG...A pile of fresh pastrami on two slices of dark rye bread, lightly buttered with a smear of Dijon mustard, sauerkraut and provolone cheese. Pure heaven. I could eat half of one now but the thought of making the pile of pastrami into a few slices, cutting off the crust of the bread just taints the entire experience. And I'd be an idiot to try it in a restaurant without checking to see if they had several bathroom stalls to slime in :P

I'm pre-surgery, but I already miss egg rolls, fried wontons, chicken tempura, and cheesecake.

Quick story: Back in the 70's I lived in Boulder, Co. The name of the restaurant was "TOA TOA". Chinese of course. Special dinner for 10 was the special. Required 10 or more people to order and had to be reserved. We'd meet up before the dinner and medicinally prepare ourselves(remember, this is Boulder, home of University of Colorado, the party college). We'd enter the restaurant and we'd gather in a small room where the staff would bring one main large platter after another. If we finished a platter, another different dish would appear. As soon as we didn't finish a platter, the food train would end. It's been a while but I recall that we'd down at least 8 main dishes in one evening. I'd nearly die from overstuffing myself. But, fond memories long long ago.

tmf

Edited by 2muchfun

I'm pre-surgery, but I already miss egg rolls, fried wontons, chicken tempura, and cheesecake.

I still have cheesecake on occasion. costco has these frozen cheesecakes. There are 3 flavors, cut into 1.25 in squares. Probably about 90 squares to a box? Maybe once a month I'll pull 3 out and the wife and I split them. One of our only sweet indulgences.

Quick story: Back in the 70's I lived in Boulder, Co. The name of the restaurant was "TOA TOA". Chinese of course. Special dinner for 10 was the special. Required 10 or more people to order and had to be reserved. We'd meet up before the dinner and medicinally prepare ourselves(remember, this is Boulder, home of University of Colorado, the party college). We'd enter the restaurant and we'd gather in a small room where the staff would bring one main large platter after another. If we finished a platter, another different dish would appear. As soon as we didn't finish a platter, the food train would end. It's been a while but I recall that we'd down at least 8 main dishes in one evening. I'd nearly die from overstuffing myself. But, fond memories long long ago.

tmf

Hahaha........for many years, I had many planned eating sessions around the "medicinal prep". Then, when sick to my stomach from eating, I'd hit the medicinal pipe again - LOL! Really helped with the after math, but THEN it would giddy me up again for another round. OMG - what we did to ourselves :blink:

I still have cheesecake on occasion. costco has these frozen cheesecakes. There are 3 flavors, cut into 1.25 in squares. Probably about 90 squares to a box? Maybe once a month I'll pull 3 out and the wife and I split them. One of our only sweet indulgences.

I know those cheesecakes.... They're so good, I can't even keep them in the freezer. I'm okay with many things, but when it comes to sweets, it's like crack cocaine to a crack addict.

Yeah...I miss that stuff too sometimes...but again..it's not that I can't eat it, I just chose not to. Just you watch...when you lose enough weight to not miss things like wearing smaller sizes, fitting into spaces you couldn't before, walking without knee pain, and all that other good stuff, you'll find you don't miss these foods as much as you think you will. :)