Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't drink, so it's no bother to me, but alcohol is a big no-no on my doctor's list of things to avoid.

Wow!!! I don't know how you'll do it!! Lol I'm only 3 weeks post surgery, and I'm def dying to have some red wine. Good luck to you! I'm sure it's going to be a challenge, but it will be well worth it!

OH red Red wine, some day..But i know that I have to wait for a special occasion perhaps. GOAL would be a good time. But wine tasting at the CA coast is something we love to do!!

Edited by BellaHugz

When I was a sailor on liberty in Tijuana, free White Russians given by a bartender which a friend of mine knew put me and my buddies on the sidewalk trying to help each other back up to the vertical world. Happily, we managed to remain un-robbed and not arrested.

A few months ago I tried to recreate the powerful but easy to go down drink. Alas, it has lost all previous charm. It just burned and did little to my hard head. I shall never be drunk again. I can't drink enough and I don't like it. I'll have to make a fool out of myself without chemical help. :D

I got trashed on alot of wiskey at 16 months and woke up 3 hours later with no hangover I have a friend with RNY and he has the same thing no hangover and fast recovery.

I have a couple glasses of wine at home once a week and it doesn't affect me any more than it did before.

Lol, wow... My surgeon says after an entire year. It's more about empty calories though.

My surgeon said no alcohol until a year after surgery, as well. Interesting.

I was 5 weeks out and went slow the first time. I am now approx 10 weeks out and have gone out for drinks about 4x total. I have decided to stick with vodka/water with an occasional shot of tequila in there. I have had no issues and my tolerance has been somewhat impacted. Take it slow and see how your body handles it. I always have a Powerade Zero waiting at home or in my purse because it can take up to 2 days for me to feel fully hydrated if I do not stay on top of during my drinks and the day after.

Interesting reports of increased alcoholism risk after Roux-en-Y. I don't know that the sleeve has been studied. See: http://www.m.webmd.com/diet/news/20121015/addiction-risk-weight-loss-surgery?page=1

I used to drink before socially, I'm not worried about alcoholism, but that's a pretty interesting study.

Transfer addictions are a very REAL problem with post bariatric surgery patients! I work in psychiatry. I hope to have exercise be my T.A.

The dehydration after drinking can be very problematic. I remember getting up in the middle of the night after drinking couple glasses of wine (pre sleeve of course) and just guzzling Water... we can't do that anymore. I will be seriously limiting my intake of ETOH.

I was ok 8 weeks out with wine but by 13 weeks out I can't handle it any more. Went right to my head. I am a cheep date. Appitizer for dinner and cannot Finnish 1 glass I wine.

God I am gonna be rich!! I will be saving A LOT on food and wine.

I had my first drink at 2 months, second and third drink between then n now. I am 3 months post op at this point. I drink Rum n coke, (I know I need to find a diff drink.) :P It burned my stomach and each time I got NO buzz! I just figured drinking is not for me anymore!! -_-

I was not a huge drinker pre op. I would go out every now and then for a few, and to be honest, I don't really miss it. I am almost 8 weeks out. BUT.....in just about 2 weeks my husband and I are going on a cruise. THAT was always a drink-fest! I haven't had any alcohol since surgery and I am afraid to try! I can't see going on the cruise and NOT drinking, so if you were me what would you try drinking? You know those frozen fruity drinks are always being passed around. What do you think is the easiest going down?
Please don't get on my about empty calories and all that. I already know. It's vacation....and we are celebrating my 40th!

I would try a drink at home before the cruise just so you know how it is going to affect you.