Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oddly emotional post op?

Anyone else in their first post op week feeling randomly emotional? Like I just had the intense urge to call my dad and weep. Not having regrets, no pain or even serious dicomfort and my boyfriend is taking excellant care of me, just felt like crying. I assume it the hormonal changes and most likely having to skip my BC for two in the hospital. Oh well, still happy to be on this side of the surgery!

Very common - RELAX!

Me too! I used to love sad movies-can't watch them anymore! It isn't depression, just like the floodgates have been opened! Yes, I think it's hormonal, but for me--all that emotion I used to stuff down with food is coming out now. I guess that's a pretty good thing. :)

Very common after surgery. I bet you will find a lot of information on that if you googled it.

This is kinda funny cuz I'm definitely emotional....I've cried so......I just want my hubby to hold me and LOVE on me. I couldn't understand why I was so emotional!

its a combination of it being just highly emootinal to have the op anyway its actually phyiscal too.

when your body starts using the stored fat cells for fuel it also releases allllll the stored hormones within them too which floods you making you go up and down all the time.

Yep. I am not known to be an emotional person, in fact quite the opposite. But after surgery I was an emotional wreck! I felt sad, depressed, isolated, lonley, angry, agitated, you name it. What's worse was I had no reason to feel this way. I have a very loving, supportive family who took good care of me, I didn't have to rush back to work, my weight loss went very well so I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on. Then it made sense when I realized that all of the hormones stored in the fat were being released as I lost weight. That, plus the changes in brain chemistry caused by the surgery/healing process, it was no wonder I was such a mess. It was comforting to know that I wasn't losing my mind along with my weight! The emotional swings should level out about 6-8 weeks post op. Hang in there and good luck! :)

Edited by BerryChic

I'm fresh out of surgery too. 2/6/2014, and I have this knot in my throat. I've experienced it one other time in my life for several weeks and my pcp told me it was anxiety. I'm assuming the changing hormones and the sudden changes this surgery have brought into my life is the culprit.On Saturday I was an emotional wreck because I was terrified that I would feel as miserable as I did forever. Anyone else experience this? Please tell me it gets better.

I'm fresh out of surgery too. 2/6/2014, and I have this knot in my throat. I've experienced it one other time in my life for several weeks and my pcp told me it was anxiety. I'm assuming the changing hormones and the sudden changes this surgery have brought into my life is the culprit.On Saturday I was an emotional wreck because I was terrified that I would feel as miserable as I did forever. Anyone else experience this? Please tell me it gets better.

I can only share my experience but day after surgery was the worst! I was like how in the hell am I supposed to go home tomorrow.... and low and behold.... I felt better. Each day I have felt better. Today I had my post op follow up visit. I am doing so well with tolerating foods... what I thought was 'full liquids' was really more like pureed (oops) so the P.A said I can advance to soft diet. I came home made one scrambled egg and two little french toast sticks because I felt I deserved it!! Tolerated it superbly! I had a few table spoons of Soup for lunch and Protein shake for dinner. scale isn't moving but I feel still pretty swollen from surgery. I am going to wait for one month post op to weigh myself again (March 3rd) b/c I am getting too obsessed with the scale. The P.A. also said the stomach spasms subside in time (thank God). Feel better.

Hello. We have the same date. I was sleeved 2.6.14. I haven't felt emotional. But I wasn't going to b surprised if i was. With all the emotional situations going on right now. We r reborn into a new n different world. I am struggling with logistics of what to eat what not to eat. I seem to tolerate things just fine. I found some chips that r high protien. And Power Crunch bar...OMG heaven! But we r support a b on full liquids. So idk. I am feeling over whelmed.