Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

weight loss with sleeve

I had my lap band removed a month ago today and will have my sleeve surgery on March 10th. I did great the first year and a half with my band and lost 80 lbs until my port was punctured after unfilling and refilling for a hysterectomy. Needless to say I hit a wall and couldn't lose and gained 50 lbs back. I ate minimal amounts and had restriction but couldn't lose. Will I be successful with sleeve or should I go rny? How has everyone else done with losing weight after revision from band to sleeve?

I had my band removed and conversion to sleeve on 11/27 and am down 62 pounds.

I lost 42 pounds on the pre surgical diet and was sleeved on December 23rd. Since then I have lost an additional 43 for a total of 85 pounds.

My decision to do the sleeve vs another option was simple in my mind. I eliminated the band right away. As you mentioned there are a lot of complications. The rate of a future revision is high and my Center of Excellence discouraged me from doing it. With RNY I was concerned about the absorption issues and all the rerouting of my digestive system, which seemed unnatural to me. So when the Surgeon recommended the VSG, I said thank you very much. Very happy with the decision so far.

I had my revision to the sleeve on 1/13. 4 weeks ago today. I've lost 23 pounds and I love the feeling of not having the band! I can't explain it but I feel so much better without it.

All the research I've done people seem to have great results with the sleeve. As of right now I'm very happy!

I had my band removed in April 2013 then was sleeve 10/22/13, so far I am down 47 pounds. I had nothing but problems with the band - stuck feeling in chest all of the time, regurgitation and couldn't even nibble any type of bread without paying high price AND still didn't loose any weight. Needless to say I am loving the sleeve and wish I had considered it before having the band.

I had my lapband removed and sleeve done in January. I did a preop diet but i was told I didnt need too. Having the lapband removed felt great I I can finally hug my little girl with out pain.

Lucky and Bella that's awesome! I'm so happy to have my band out I could dance lol.

I'm 4 weeks and starting soft foods. It's so wonderful to see a light at the end of the tunnel! 21 pounds since my pre-op appointment. I'm pretty happy with 20 pounds in 1 month! I just have to work on more calories and more protien.

Hi there...I had my band removed and gastric sleeve done at the same time 2/3/2014.. I have to admit this is so strange. I have had my band for 10 years and did rather well with it.I lost 100 lbs and was able to keep it off.Then the past 6 months it was getting me sick and they removed all my fluid.In one month I gained 25 lbs.I think it was because I deprived myself of foods I wasn't able to tolerate with the band.Well im on a new chapter in my life and have the gastric sleeve.First week I lost 10 pounds and was very happy.Today at the end of my two weeks I didn't loose a pound.Feeling disappointed.Today I was able to eat cottage cheese 4 oz.and had no problem eating the whole thing.Im scared I made the wrong decision.When I was a band I would have not been able to eat the whole thing without getting sick. Please anyone who can give me encouragement

Asinger, don't give up on the sleeve. 10lbs down in a week is a lot so perhaps your body is catching up with the loss. There are many threads on this board about what is referred to as the 3 week stall - many helpful tips and thoughts on what is happening when we hit a stall, if that is what you may be experiencing. I have found this very helpful. By the way, yea you for those 10lbs!!! :)

Hi everyone I have hit a three month stall. I loose a kilo a month and it's frustrating in starting to consider revising to rny. Help I think I hv lost restriction. What else can I do

You know we've done this before, the weight loss part, and i have only lost 1 pound this past week and 1 pound the week before. I'm trying hard not to get discouraged. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not going up and according to my dr I'm not getting enough calories in and that can cause the body to hold off losing. This sure isn't an easy journey but it never has been. I've stopped eating after dinner which is driving me crazy lol! I know it's my head not my tummy. I will have a sf ice pop if I really want something.

We can't give up!

Edited by dlm59

I weighed about 272 when I was banded in March 2001. I never got under 200# and regained after I had to have Fluid removed due to issues with reflux and vomiting all the time.

I revised to the sleeve in 2011 and weighed 308. I have since lost 160# and am at a normal BMI weighing around 148-150#.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches