Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not happy with pre op diet

I'm on day 4 of my 5 day pre op clear liquid diet. Any suggestions on how to beat this sluggish feeling. Not feeling so well. Also, any ideas on why there are so many varieties of pre op diets? A month, a week, 5 days. Clear Liquids , Protein Shakes, food. I do have a Protein supplement totals 65g a day, very curious... Why clear liquids...

Edited by i82often

I don't understand either. I'm on a two week liver shrinking diet. I have my Booste high Protein shake twice a day with small fruit for snack and very light dinner. I have no idea why they would want you to have clear before the surgery. I just know it works. This will clean you out too so you don't crave carbs.

I'm on day 4 of my 5 day pre op clear liquid diet. Any suggestions on how to beat this sluggish feeling. Not feeling so well. Also, any ideas on why there are so many varieties of pre op diets? A month, a week, 5 days. Clear liquids , Protein shakes, food. I do have a Protein supplement totals 65g a day, very curious... Why clear liquids...

Every doctor is so different in their pre and post-op protocols. There not much you can do about the sluggish feeling, but it sounds like your about to have surgery?

My doctor had me on 1,200 calories a day; low fat, low carb, for two weeks prior to surgery. Two days prior to surgery I was on full liquids. The only time I was on clear liquids, was for three days after surgery. Then onto full liquids.

I love when they call it shrinking your liver. Your organs do not shrink the fat does so what you are really doing is making your liver less fatty for surgery. This is not a permanent thing and yes you will probably be on clear liquids after surgery for two weeks. Try to find something to do to keep your mind occupied and maybe you are not drinking enough Water also.

Have you cut down on caffeine? That could really cause sluggishness. Just push through. You can do it and it will be over soon. Best wishes!

Hi there, sounds like you are detoxing. Just think how great you're going to feel when you are stepping on the scale a month from now! I know what you mean about the variation in protocols. Just stick with yours and you'll be good. He relationship with your surgeon is long-term -- aftercare in first year very important. Think of yourself as a team. My pre-op was two weeks liquids then post-op was one day clear, one week full liquids, one week mushies then smooth foods. I worried because I didn't have the clear liquid protocol for a week like some others but I just did what was in the plan provided by my surgeon. Congratulations on your upcoming surgery. Keep your eyes in the prize and that prize is a healthy happy you!

My Dr. did not care what I ate. or what I did...AS LONG AS I LOST THE WEIGHT...otherwise he would postpone the surgery....

Having gone through so much preparation, waiting, anxiety....to have the surgery day within reach...I would have done ANYTHING so as not to ruin it at that point!!!! Too much to loose to sweat the little things....the biggest day of my life was approaching...or the first day of my new life was approaching, I should say.....

Complain about the pre-op diet??? NO WAY....I would walk on broken glass barefoot if asked to at that point!

HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT??????

side note: My surgery was scheduled for a Monday morning...my final weigh in and pre-op office visit was Friday....so, after the office visit friday afternoon, we all went out and I had my Last Meal....a real pig out party at a 5 Star restaurant I knew I would never step into again...and ate like I knew I will never eat like again....

Then Saturday and Sunday I fasted with just Water and broth, and very little food......Monday morning all was fine and good to go....

I should also say...that was the LAST TIME I ever felt "Full" (still trying to figure that one out)

Edited by B-52

As said before, every doc is different and most docs will look at each patient as an individual. Low BMI patients may not need to go on a 2 week pre-op diet. I know I didn't. But if you have 200 lbs to lose, it may be necessary?

Trust in your doctor. He/she may have more insight into your health than anyone on an anonymous website forum?

tmf

The first few days of my pre-op diet I felt like you did. I had zero energy. After that I started to feel better. My mind even felt clearer. The whole 2 week diet really helped break my sugar cravings. It also broke my diet soda addiction. It was hard, but after the first week it got easier. Just keep going. You're doing this for a great reason!

Thank you all.

As far as the caffeine and sugar- bad headache for the first 2 days. Glad to be over that, I'll buy the detoxing, it explains the sluggish Feeling.

One day at a time. Just have to make it to bed time. The protocol thing is just confusing

Once your clothes are loose and baggy all of this will be a memory. The pre-op diet sucks but remember you're about to have a complete life change. This is just training your body for the rest of your life.

Good luck you can do it.

Hey, it doesn't last forever, you are almost there! best wishes. Karen..aka.kll724

no one likes the (pre op or the post op) diets

but is something that must be done to prepare our insides for surgery (pre)

and post op diet is to allow our insides to heal....

do the best you can and remember why you are doing this...to get healthy..

and even though it seems like forever, its just a speck of time that you have

to endure this.....it can be done.....focus on the outcome..

Thank you all.

As far as the caffeine and sugar- bad headache for the first 2 days. Glad to be over that, I'll buy the detoxing, it explains the sluggish Feeling.

One day at a time. Just have to make it to bed time. The protocol thing is just confusing

These are the questions that you should have asked your doctor so that you would be absolutely clear on your journey. Hang in there. It gets better with time.