Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I got mad at my sleeve tonight :-(

I went out with my family, and we went to this pizza place I used to love. I used to order this big pizza slice and fold it in half and eat it in a few minutes. Tonight I ordered my slice, I ate three bites (of just some of the topping) and was done. Full. And I found myself sitting there, staring at the slice that is oh so good, and felt angry at my sleeve for a few secs.

:-(

I know I know.... This I what got me here in the first place... But still... Hmmm... I'm rather glad now that I wasn't able to get all these calories in. Lol. Smh...

I haven't been sleeved yet. I go Thursday. But I have been banded and know exactly how you felt and its normal. food used to be more than food. It was a part of being social, it was comfort, it was many things. So of course you will have times when you're mad at your sleeve. Just know its okay and you're not alone. And like you said, later on you are glad you couldn't eat all that :)

I haven't been sleeved yet. I go Thursday. But I have been banded and know exactly how you felt and its normal. food used to be more than food. It was a part of being social, it was comfort, it was many things. So of course you will have times when you're mad at your sleeve. Just know its okay and you're not alone. And like you said, later on you are glad you couldn't eat all that :)

Thanks! It's good sometimes to know that we're not alone. I def felt not only mad at my sleeve but so alone since everyone was so deep into their pizzas!

I know this feeling! It is a little better now at 11 months out. But at 4-5 months I remember going to restaurants and really missing my big stomach. Now I give the rest of my steak to my daughter who is skinny and happy I have a small stomach. And when we got pizza I would be in the habit of finding the biggest damn slice. Now I am retrained (just barely) to choose the smallest. During stress I still find comfort in food which is a work in progress. But at least now I can't go over the edge and eat 10 peanut better Cookies. At worst maybe fit in 3. It's hard to change 48 years of behavior but I'm trying!

I know this feeling! It is a little better now at 11 months out. But at 4-5 months I remember going to restaurants and really missing my big stomach. Now I give the rest of my steak to my daughter who is skinny and happy I have a small stomach. And when we got pizza I would be in the habit of finding the biggest damn slice. Now I am retrained (just barely) to choose the smallest. During stress I still find comfort in food which is a work in progress. But at least now I can't go over the edge and eat 10 peanut better Cookies. At worst maybe fit in 3. It's hard to change 48 years of behavior but I'm trying!

I do hope it only gets better for me too. It IS so hard to change years and years of habits all so quickly.

I understand completely. I now know how much food is a gathering place of people and emotions coming together.

It is obvious to me the sleeve is giving me a chance to break from the cycle so I can eat to live rather than living to eat.

Now to try and face my hot hollow spot acknowledge it and to try to relax into the feeling - yikes! Much work to do between my ears.

I know what you are saying. For me, it's a more of a little bit of surprise that I want to eat more, irritation that I can't revert to my old habits, and relief that there is enough restriction to stop me before I go too far. I can still over eat and eat around my sleeve, so the irritation (and desire to eat too much) I feel is unsettling. I know that it's all up to me, and that even though I can't eat a lot at once, I can eat enough to get fat. When I get that feeling that I'd really like to eat a lot, I am fearful I won't be able to continue managing my weight...wish there was a surgery for that. Then I remember that I used to feel like that when I was fat, so it's way better to continue the battle while being much thinner!

I had the same experience last weekend with curly fries..But I was totally happy that I had the sleeve. it stopped me dead from eating more then 1 small piece...They did not like me at all..Not willing to try that again....My tool worked for me and as I watched everyone else gobble them down...I was thrilled I had my sleeve......

When I go to my nieces house for holiday gatherings she puts out the massive food variety like you wouldn't believe, and every last bit of it is killer delicious.

I caught myself saying out loud, "Sometimes I wish I could have my old stomach back!"

Then I look down at my flat stomach and say to myself, "Liar!"

I totally get it! Going out to eat used to be all about over indulging on greasy, fried goodness, but now I don't find it enjoyable in that way. I try to focus on the social part of it not the food, but it's very hard to change the brain! It's still a work in progress and I think it's something I'll always have to work on. Went to a Super Bowl party and heard so many comments on my weight loss and realized that nothing tastes as good as those comments feel!! I love my sleeve!!

Yep, me too.

Sometimes I get frustrated when I spend 30 minutes preparing a meal only to sit down and take a few bites and be done. Sometimes I WANT to eat more, but my tummy won't let me. It's a good thing, but, WOW it can be frustrating.

A few weeks ago, I got really hungry. I waited too long between meals. I was ravenous. I wanted to eat fast and I wanted to eat more. I looked at my husband and said, "Oh my god, I am so frustrated right now!" Of course in about 10 minutes I felt better, the food was settling in my stomach. Then I thought "it's working. It's doing what it's supposed to do."

When I go to my nieces house for holiday gatherings she puts out the massive food variety like you wouldn't believe, and every last bit of it is killer delicious.

I caught myself saying out loud, "Sometimes I wish I could have my old stomach back!"

Then I look down at my flat stomach and say to myself, "Liar!"

Haha. Yeah, I caught myself thinking that for one second and quickly stopped telling myself how untrue that is.

I totally get it! Going out to eat used to be all about over indulging on greasy, fried goodness, but now I don't find it enjoyable in that way. I try to focus on the social part of it not the food, but it's very hard to change the brain! It's still a work in progress and I think it's something I'll always have to work on. Went to a Super Bowl party and heard so many comments on my weight loss and realized that nothing tastes as good as those comments feel!! I love my sleeve!!

You are so right!

Ha!! I actually cried about it last night! I am three weeks out and feel like everything I know has changed. I have no energy. I finally was able to eat some food yesterday.. had three bites of an egg and couldnt do it. I felt pain and so so sad. I have lost 31 pounds and I keep telling myself that its going to be ok but no one quite understands what all this feels like . When I tried to talk to my bf about it... all he says was... What did you expect? I know you researched this before you did it so you must have known what was going to happen. I guess thats true but certainly not very comforting .... Its gonna get better and that slice of pizza will mean nothing to us some day. but right now... I just want to sit down and have a meal with my kids and not just watch them eat and feel like an outcast!!!

Thanks for sharing your story... it helped me!!! sorry I couldnt help you too

<p>Ha!! I actually cried about it last night! I am three weeks out and feel like everything I know has changed. I have no energy. I finally was able to eat some food yesterday.. had three bites of an egg and couldnt do it. I felt pain and so so sad. I have lost 31 pounds and I keep telling myself that its going to be ok but no one quite understands what all this feels like . When I tried to talk to my bf about it... all he says was... What did you expect? I know you researched this before you did it so you must have known what was going to happen. I guess thats true but certainly not very comforting .... Its gonna get better and that slice of pizza will mean nothing to us some day. but right now... I just want to sit down and have a meal with my kids and not just watch them eat and feel like an outcast!!!</p> <p> </p> <p>Thanks for sharing your story... it helped me!!! sorry I couldnt help you too</p>

I think it might be like having a baby. You can research and read and talk about it until you are blue in the face but until you actually have the baby you don't know how you are going to feel. And you are glad you had her but it sucks too!!

That's how I'm seeing it preop.

I'm curious though, I thought pizza would be a no no because it's not enough Protein?