Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"run before you can walk"....

This may be in the wrong place so if so please move it!

I just wanted to do this post as food for thought (oh yes picked that for a giggle lol)

I think a lot of us try to “run before we can walk” with this surgery.
I know I read for days about others both before and after my op what to expect at what stages how I should do things how I should eat etc etc
I did freak out on a few things puking pain etc
So what I want to really say is this STOP lol
Its great to see what others do and how their journey is going but it seems the second we are home it’s a worrying stress fuelled time.
Not drinking enough, not eating enough, pain, lbs not going fast enough, Protein, meds the list goes on and on.
And in the first few weeks worrying about what you will be able to eat in 4 months or 6 or a year.
For me when I stopped comparing myself to others and going by my own body I felt better.
I read a lot of posts about people weighing there self more than once a day every day.
This is not good for you it becomes a obsession- no joke people were stepping on the scales before and after Breakfast then later in the evening constantly watching the scale to see movement.
Me honestly I do not weigh myself at home only at the hospital or doctors I personally do not want to become obsessed with the scale it can be very disheartening when you don’t see movement.
If I have ever stalled I have never known about it because whenever I go I am always down from the last time so I never have experienced the feelings of that myself which suites me fine.
Pushing the Fluid intake even if it hurt or taking protein when not told too.
Follow your own medical teams advice on these things I wasn’t told to introduce Protein shakes for 1 month after my op I asked about the liquid ones he said I can if I want as its not milk but I am healing and not to worry just yet.
Being told the general food/drink capacity is another we are all told this much at this stage this at this but end of the day your sleeve may not be the same size as mine.
Mine is small more wasn’t taken away the same 80% as every other person having the op I just happen to start out with a smaller stomach to begin with so its smaller.
After the op we can have sleeved stomachs ranging from a 4oz-10oz holding little thing that’s a VERY big size difference and it all depends on the size of your stomach before the op.
The bigger sleeves are not even meant to test or push to see if its bigger and go by the recommended portion size regardless of it being bigger to actually lose weight.
I know I try to be careful with advice yes I still give it but I don’t say do this or that this is what you should do as I did, I say what I did say I have a smaller sleeve and do what your told or your body feels is right for you- just be a little responsible with the advice and not do as I do replies.
To sum up before I go off on a major what the hell she saying tangent don’t try to run before you can walk- don’t try to heal before your able to, drink more than your body allows be it food or Water, willing weight off wont help it will come.
This is a day to day process for at least 2 years it gets easier of course you listen to your body and know what you can and can’t do/tolerate.
To get to the end result you HAVE TO walk first and listen to your body and work out whats best and right to fit you.

Anyway thanks for reading if it helps anyone I am glad I stood on my soapbox!

To sum up before I go off on a major what the hell she saying tangent

Too late......

lol trust me it could have been worse i got sidetracked twice lol

Thank you for providing us with such useful advice. You have lost over TWO HUNDRED pounds--that is quite an accomplishment! Congratulations! :)

why thank you :)