Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

accessories for a formal cocktail party - the little black dress

I picked a sleeveless dress with a fairly high neckline. I am thinking of skipping the necklace because I would feel like June Cleaver in a close fitting string of pearls and not sure what else would go with it. The neckline part of the dress is lacy so I think it is simple and enough of a statement itself. Thinking of dangling earrings and my hair up. Cant afford diamonds so considering some kind of dangling earrings that are NOT fake diamonds but something else. I have dark hair - lady at Macys suggested black dangling earrings since hair will be up ... will still be noticable. when I put my hair up, I always let loose some curly tendrils.

Shoes - well, I have black and I have some cool blue ones that might be just a pop of color. Then I have some pretty hot shootie bootie shoes.... but this is a work related event, so maybe not. :)

Ideas?

This event is a big deal, high visibility so it is important to me to look good, but very career appropriate and I NEVER go to cocktail parties so have no idea what is hip. Help!

Can you show us a picture of the dress? That would help with suggestions. Maybe I can put together a look or two for you on Polyvore.

Jane, help us out. What is the cut, color and length of the dress? Better yet post a pick. Barring that info however I own an awesome pair of red patent and suede pumps that are always a great pop of color. Same thing with two skinny belts I have one in navy and one in red patent. I can add one of those three items to any plain dress to jazz it up. Also consider a Bracelet since you are skipping the necklace.

Blue earrings and Bracelet to match the shoes?

Blue shoes, shiny baubles from your ears, bracelets. Sounds like the full neck and lacy fabric will be enough for your neck area. A picture's worth a thousand words show us with the dress on.

The front of the dress is the slightly lower neckline, the back has a button. Kinda hard to see in pix. The dress is a bit body conscious, form fitting, all black.

these are the shoes I am considering to wear with.post-122684-0-49257300-1391801539_thumb.jpg post-122684-0-32516700-1391801543_thumb.jpg post-122684-0-29166500-1391801535_thumb.jpg

Yep earrings that shine, no necklade and some bangles. You're going to be gorgeous! hair semi up and down.

I like the shape and color of the shoes, but not the texture with the highly textured dress. Maybe go with black. I do think some solid color chandelier earrings... maybe even that shoe blue? That will bring some color near your face, black hose.... you might even consider the same sheerness as the top of the dress.... or opaque. Whats in? Get your nails done blingie blue.... or switch the accent color to whatever you like.

http://www.google.com/search?q=blue+nails&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=8UH1Usf0LI73qQHvtoDoBA&ved=0CCYQsAQ&biw=1357&bih=914

http://www.google.com/search?q=blue+chandelier+earring&client=safari&sa=X&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=zED1Us6fOY-_2QWy6oHYDQ&ved=0CEUQsAQ&biw=1357&bih=914

http://www.google.com/search?q=blue+chandelier+earring&client=safari&sa=X&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=zED1Us6fOY-_2QWy6oHYDQ&ved=0CEUQsAQ&biw=1357&bih=914#q=blue+bangles&rls=en&tbm=isch

for a rap, either a coat that can be checked, or a black knit shawl... even a shortie sweater would look cute with that dress. Black. (you know me, its all about the black!) If you don't like the color element, go with silver instead. Have some extra fun time! Big Shot! :)

Edited by feedyoureye

I would add a pop of color with your handbag. Too much "matchy matchy" is the quickest way to age yourself. That's what major stylist say... don't flame me please. :)

Agree on no to the textured shoes for sure, and def yes for bracelet! I like the idea of the color pop being in the handbag too. :) :)

Love the links. I like the idea of the blue nails with blue earrings. Damn, nails done, one more thing to add to my to do list.

I do my own nails normally but i might need to go all out and have them done. i need to do it AFTER I pick up and move hay this weekend...haha. It's hard to be a girlie girl when you move hay and horse manure everyday...LOL

I also agree on being careful about too matchy matchy.

I have some black shoes that might work, need to dig em out. I love those blue shoes, very comfy but i see what you mean about the texture. A certain person also told me they look too much like business shoes (really?) but his tastes perhaps run a little more adventurous than average.

Thank you all!!!

A certain person also told me they look too much like business shoes (really?) but his tastes perhaps run a little more adventurous than average.

I started to type that and then erased... :)

You'll look like a young and gorgeous Elizabeth Taylor with blue earrings! That woman was just stunning in her "hey day." ;)

haha

And for hosiery, I was thinking either sheer (ie flesh colored) or the very lightest of black sheer. I like the idea of the black, but I worry about being in black head to toe.

I have a silver little handbag/large wallet made for this kind of thing. It is a decent brand too, nice looking. If I can get earrings that have blue and silver that might be nice. I also have a thin silver belt, but i think I will skip that. And I too like the idea of the Bracelet. I am not opposed to a necklace, but i just thought pearls are too... I don't know... old fashioned (although i LOVE Audrey Heburn even though she was a skinny bitch).

I will try to get a pic of me in that dress if I can... I look like hell right now, been doing deep cleaning, moving furniture etc...

Legs should be bare nowadays for cocktail.

Either way I would for sure skip the nude hose 100%, I just read an article about this and they said the leg should be hose-free and never wear nude hose because it is aging and outdated.

You're gonna look great!!