Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

accessories for a formal cocktail party - the little black dress

By the way I happen to like the super sheer nude hose, just passing along what I heard LOL

My answer will be probably more conservative, but I also work for a European company (but you said this was going to be 90% Americans in this event?). If I were going to wear that dress (I don't do sheer bits for business stuff, just a personal choice), I would go super conservative on everything else. hair up, stud or small huggie earrings, sheer tights (not bare legs here, but maybe fine there?) and conservative-ish pumps, likely in black. If it's a high-visibility event, you're not going for sex appeal, but for overall attractiveness, 'executive presence' and gravitas to a certain extent. I just think you want the right kind of attention and to be taken seriously -- it never hurts to catch the eye in an attractive way, but it shouldn't venture at all into deliberate sexiness. This is all JUST MY OPINION lol...based on a pretty conservative work environment, which just gets moreso the higher up you're dealing with.

And again, I haven't been to a cocktail reception in the US since like 2003, so times they may have a'changed! ;)

At any rate, CGJ, you're beautiful and will do great regardless of what you're wearing.

Sounds like fun, and what's not to love when you get to dress that gorgeous new bod up! I think your dress is lovely, and splashy enough with the sheer neck line. I would not wear anything around the neck at all. I like the color of those blue shoes, but I would go with plain black for this - too much texture in the blue ones. Definitely bare legs, too. As for the pop of color, I'd add it with one or two items - maybe bangles and a color matching but conservative ear ring. I probably would not do blue nails, but that's just me. I'd go with nude or french manicure, in this case. You'll exude confidence and understated elegance. When you look as good as you do, you just about can't go wrong no matter what you choose :)

Once you decide or when you are ready for the event, show us a pic of what you decided and how you look!

So many takes on a look, and I think all good! Just depends on your personality (which they must already accept to some degree or you wouldn't be there) and the culture you want to move into. I move in a "bohemian", Movie and artists culture mostly, so I usually go a little (or a lot) over the top.... I'm sure thats not what your looking for, but a little standout detail is memorable. Not so bad in this case since you are the new girl who slayed a couple of big dragons for them (and one big one for yourself as well!)...why not?. Classy with just a little standout detail of your choice.... just riffing here. Anyway, I love the dress, hair up and you will look and be smashing!

LOVE the blue shoes and I agree with the blue accessories to match - earrings, handbag, bangles - maybe mix in some silver or gold for a bit of bling :)

And I'd go with the sheer nude hose :) BEAUTIFUL dress!

I just love the dress it is perfect, a gunmetal based or titatium chandelier earrings would look wonderful and bring the look to the romantic yet stunning effects. I love a dark midnight nail Opi has a dark blue russian nail polish that is almost deceiving and could be black yet it is not. A perfect nylon is a light black sheer too. Wear your fabulas smile and your will be a knockout! Also you can top it all of with a pasmina shawl with a pop of sparkle. Have a wonderful time!

Edited by BellaHugz

Well, I never did find earrings that I thought were spot on for the dress and I did wind up finding a vintage necklace that I liked. the new profile picture is of the dress as I was heading out the door for this party.

Anyway I got tons of compliments that it was a beautiful dress that makes you go va-voom and killer shoes. Several of the other ladies wore lower cut dresses and everybody was sleeveless so I felt that the sheer neckline was appropriate and modest enough but the dress still had a bit of sexy to it. It worked and I can visualize wearing it to other events too.

thanks everyone for your ideas and thoughts. I hope to be getting out to more plays and all that where I might actually wear it.

Well, I never did find earrings that I thought were spot on for the dress and I did wind up finding a vintage necklace that I liked. the new profile picture is of the dress as I was heading out the door for this party. Anyway I got tons of compliments that it was a beautiful dress that makes you go va-voom and killer shoes. Several of the other ladies wore lower cut dresses and everybody was sleeveless so I felt that the sheer neckline was appropriate and modest enough but the dress still had a bit of sexy to it. It worked and I can visualize wearing it to other events too. thanks everyone for your ideas and thoughts. I hope to be getting out to more plays and all that where I might actually wear it.

Hi Jane when wearing the dress on another occasion try it with a really skinny colored belt. Red or silver would look great, bare legs, black shoes, silver earrings and silver Bracelet. It would look amazing.