Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I ever drink water normally again?

Hi,

I'm one week out of surgery and I don't mind drinking Water. Prior to surgery, I was good about having 4-5 16 oz bottles each day. Now, every time I drink one swallow it hurts. Does this get better? How long is it like this?

I wish I could tell you. I had surgery dec 23 and Water still bothers me to drink and I use to chug it all day long. Actually have a hard time eating and drinking anything still and doctor doesn't know why. I've had two ER visits for IVs. Everything feels like a rock when it hits my stomach.

I am sorry that you are having difficulties. It does get better but will never get back to guzzling a bottle of Water right down. I am one year out and still sip. I take a large mouthful sometimes but then swallow it in several small swallows. It is not difficult nor does it hurt but it is not good for my stomach and I still get a lot of noises when I eat or drink too fast.

I'm about a month out and drink about a half ounce of Water at a time. Otherwise, I get slime, or my throat hurts. I miss chugging Water, but figure in time I'll be able to at least drink instead of sip.

So, the good news is "YES", you will be able to drink normal again. The even BETTER news is, you will have a new definition of what "normal" is. Just like you will be able to eat a normal amount of calories and consume a normal amount of potato chips.

No, you will not be able to do anything "normally" like you did pre-op. That includes eating, drinking, exercise, getting up from the floor, getting dressed, washing yourself, wiping the nether regions, seeing the nether regions, having sex, sitting in an airplane, going to an amusement park ...

I love my new normal.

Thanks PdxMan, love that. esp the part "washing yourself, wiping the nether regions" because I was just telling my boyfriend today that those things have already gotten so much better!!!

I'm three weeks out and while I can't chug down a 20+oz bottle of Water in seconds like I used to, I can take a normal mouthful of Water every few minutes without any issues.

The first week was pretty rough though. 1oz of room temp water every 10-15 min was all I could get in.

Edited by mythbuster1304

I'm almost 8 weeks out and can take about 5 big swallows at a time, definitely enough to quench a thirst if needed.

I'm 3.5 months out, and I'm now able to comfortably chug down about a third of a 16.9 oz water bottle. I'm so glad that it doesn't hurt anymore to drink Water, that was terrible the first few weeks where I could only take a few sips when I felt like chugging down the whole thing!

It gets better with time. It was difficult right after surgery but now I will take a big gulp and swallow little amounts at a time as well.

Atlanta how are you doing?

I'm over a year post op and I can gulp down half of a 16 oz bottle at a time easily.

I always chugged my Water pre op. Now post op .....I can now finally chug a little , but it took time to get to this place. Just be patient .. U will get there.

Hi,

I'm one week out of surgery and I don't mind drinking Water. Prior to surgery, I was good about having 4-5 16 oz bottles each day. Now, every time I drink one swallow it hurts. Does this get better? How long is it like this?

It does get better, honest! Without getting technical, Water is hard for our stomachs to take - think about insects skating on water. They do that because of the tension in the water. To make it easier to drink, you need to break the tension. And you do that by putting a few drops of anything in it - in my case, I put in a splash of sugar free squash. Made getting it down much easier :-)))

Im 4 months post op and can't drink Water. I drink propel zero. Its sugar free calorie free plus has Vitamins.< /p>

Yes, I feel like it took a week or two before I could get a good sized swallow. Now, at neatly 4 months out, I can certainly gulp enough to quench a thirst.