Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling guilty for living in Florida...

Yeah yeah yeah. Tell me how you love Florida in July and August!

I may be an odd duck but I love the heat. I worked last summer outside digging and running a wheel barrow in the worst of it and, outside of the cramps at night, it suited me fine. You just have to keep chugging Water and gatorade and hit pickle juice when the cramps start. :D

So how funny is this?

I was reading the thread(from frozen CT) and was going to post a quippy reply along the lines of " yea ,yea but try to get a decent italian meal or restaurant in FL)"

Then it hit me like a brick....... How much my life will change on 2/24.....

The idea that food or a decent italian restaurant has been some weird barometer for me shows how much food and eating has become so central my life.

. My life and lifestyle is going to change drastically and that food and eating shouldn't be such a focus for me. Eat to live , don't live to eat, right?

Gary, that's awesome!

In the 20's and 30's here in New Mexico. Snowed yesterday. Spring is just around the corner, though!

Besides, doesn't cold destroy fat cells? :P

So how funny is this? I was reading the thread(from frozen CT) and was going to post a quippy reply along the lines of " yea ,yea but try to get a decent italian meal or restaurant in FL)" Then it hit me like a brick....... How much my life will change on 2/24..... The idea that food or a decent italian restaurant has been some weird barometer for me shows how much food and eating has become so central my life. . My life and lifestyle is going to change drastically and that food and eating shouldn't be such a focus for me. Eat to live , don't live to eat, right?

It's true that it is hard to find a decent Italian restaurant down here! But your outlook will definitely change! I still enjoy food and all it has to offer but now, 18 months out of surgery, I am much more conscious of what it can give to me and my health rather than just it's taste! Good luck with your journey!

I'm in Jacksonville, and it was too cold for me last week, so I did a last minute deal on a Bahamas Cruise. :) I was born and raised at Jacksonville Beach, move to Chicago in my teens, and lived in the freezing cold hell for 17 years. I moved back here 2 years ago to help with my daughters health issues (the humidity is better for her) and I'm in heaven here. Love having the beach just a short drive from home, and only being 2 1/2 hours from Orlando. :) Also being able to throw a bag together and do a last minute weekend getaway cruise for 80% off rocks!

post-1845-0-54848400-1391715133_thumb.jpg

Edited by piercedqt78

So how funny is this?

I was reading the thread(from frozen CT) and was going to post a quippy reply along the lines of " yea ,yea but try to get a decent italian meal or restaurant in FL)"

Then it hit me like a brick....... How much my life will change on 2/24.....

The idea that food or a decent italian restaurant has been some weird barometer for me shows how much food and eating has become so central my life.

. My life and lifestyle is going to change drastically and that food and eating shouldn't be such a focus for me. Eat to live , don't live to eat, right?

Interesting observation. Restaurant priorities certainly change once food is shoved down the list of important things. Food is important for life....food is not life.

I have some dear relatives who visit me here in this land of sun and fun. Florida offers many, many fun things to do besides the theme parks and beaches. What do my relatives want to do? LOOK UP RESTAURANTS! Yes, we have many ethnic eateries and high class noshes of every variety here but....it's just eating! And eating at restaurants eats up money big time...money that can buy a lot of happy memories down here.

I am soooooo not talking to you Gmanbat! Send some sunshine and heat over here please to raise my measly 2degrees to something more agreeable... Lol!

My family and I just moved back to upstate NY (where I'm from) after living in Las Vegas, then tulsa for the last 13 years...I hate the snow!!! We have already begun the search for southern relocation. Love my fam but we just can't hack this cold!

I'm from Boston but moved to Tampa for 16 years. I hated every last second of it. It was too hot for me. I love the 4 seasons. Even snow!!!!! I'm the odd man out here but I just need the seasons!

I live in the purple area - yep that's cold. I'm visiting San Francisco right now and it's 50 and rainy and cold.

I need to take a trip down to Florida to thaw out!!!!

I'm from Boston but moved to Tampa for 16 years. I hated every last second of it. It was too hot for me. I love the 4 seasons. Even snow!!!!! I'm the odd man out here but I just need the seasons!

You know, that is very common here. Amazing that you stayed for 16 years. Many folks sell out and move here and hate the steamy heat. Then they have to move away and take a hit financially. Tampa is the most moved to city in America second only to Atlanta. Could be the most moved out of city as well, I don't know.

There is a forum called city-data where Floridians give potential Floridians hard advice. I consulted it frequently before my move. One of the main pieces of advice is ...spend a summer here. Or, if you can't afford that, spray yourself with Water and stick your head in an oven for a half hour. :D

I had extensive experience with Florida and Louisiana and understood what it is like to live in the South. It's not for everybody.

Tampa was very transient. Hard to get the neighborhood or community feel. It was especially difficult having 3 kiddos. I think I may have liked it a bit more if we were more north.

Oregon<3

Tampa was very transient. Hard to get the neighborhood or community feel. It was especially difficult having 3 kiddos. I think I may have liked it a bit more if we were more north.

True on the transient. There are pockets of community feeling but a lot of moving in and out and snowbirds. I liked Dade City and I like Zephyrhills but I have not made any friends other than relatives and their friends.

For kids I would be careful moving here anyone reading this and considering moving. There are good schools and communities but you need to do your research.