Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling guilty for living in Florida...

Love North Florida. In the summer heat I have a pool and air conditioning. In the winter, I have fireplaces. I just drove to Kansas and was thrilled to get back South to the Gulf and the Atlantic Ocean. Blessed to live here all my life.

post-185260-0-98257700-1401973083_thumb.jpg

Linda, that's beautiful!

I'm from here originally but lived in Chicago for 17 years. I'm so happy to be back home it's not even funny. My daughter (she will be 13 in 2 weeks OMG!!!) says she misses Chicago and having 4 seasons. I told her I only seem to remember 2 seasons there, Harsh winter and the short road construction season. :) She has a bleeding disorder and the humidity helps her about 90%. In Chicago we dealt with bleeding bouts at least once a week, and averaged about 2 ER visits a month for cautery, we haven't had to go to the ER for a bleed since moving here almost 3 years ago! We discovered how amazing the humidity was for her 3 summers ago, we have a wedding, a family reunion and my Grandmother's 80th birthday all about 2 weeks apart. She and I came down and stayed with my Uncle for about 5 weeks, it was cheaper than going back and forth for all 3 events. She was perfectly healthy the entire time we were here. When we got back to Chicago I called a meeting with her pcp and her hematologist and was very blunt and asked why she was so sick in Chicago but perfectly fine in Florida. They explained that the humidity and the air quality played a part in her disorder, something I had never heard of before. They also explained the some kids in Florida may thrive and flourish in Chicago while some kids in Chicago may be better off in Florida. Each case is different, and each child reacts to outside stimulus in their own way. We got back to Chicago in early July and had packed and moved here by August 1st. My hubby stayed behind until Feb of the following year to wrap up the details of selling our home, and I did a ton of the computer work to help him get a job here in Jacksonville. My parents were amazing and allowed my daughter, and my self along with our little dog to stay with them until my husband was able to join us here. It saved me a ton of money because I didn't have to pay living expenses on 2 homes. And it gave me a chance to see the different areas around us, and to check out schools before commiting to a place to live. We sold our home in Chicago, and right now we are renting an apt, I have a few areas that I really like, and I'm starting to look into houses in those areas. We have one more year of middle school, and my daughter wants to attend one of the magnet type high school programs here in Clay county. She is looking into graphic design, advertising, or graphic arts with computer aided drafting. Most kids change their minds 100 times about the career they are interested in, we were told when she was in pre-school that she wanted to be an animator for Disney, her dream has never really changed all that much. Any of the careers she is looking into would let her make that dream come true. And thanks to the programs offered here in Clay county, she can finish high school with an associates degree, and she will only be 17. If she goes straight to college she can have her BA at 19. She is a brilliant young lady, and has amazing artistic ability. I'm glad her teachers have all encouraged her love and talent for Art, they actually take her abilities seriously and that has really boosted self esteem and self confidence.

Linda, that's beautiful!

I'm from here originally but lived in Chicago for 17 years. I'm so happy to be back home it's not even funny. My daughter (she will be 13 in 2 weeks OMG!!!) says she misses Chicago and having 4 seasons. I told her I only seem to remember 2 seasons there, Harsh winter and the short road construction season. :) She has a bleeding disorder and the humidity helps her about 90%. In Chicago we dealt with bleeding bouts at least once a week, and averaged about 2 ER visits a month for cautery, we haven't had to go to the ER for a bleed since moving here almost 3 years ago! We discovered how amazing the humidity was for her 3 summers ago, we have a wedding, a family reunion and my Grandmother's 80th birthday all about 2 weeks apart. She and I came down and stayed with my Uncle for about 5 weeks, it was cheaper than going back and forth for all 3 events. She was perfectly healthy the entire time we were here. When we got back to Chicago I called a meeting with her pcp and her hematologist and was very blunt and asked why she was so sick in Chicago but perfectly fine in Florida. They explained that the humidity and the air quality played a part in her disorder, something I had never heard of before. They also explained the some kids in Florida may thrive and flourish in Chicago while some kids in Chicago may be better off in Florida. Each case is different, and each child reacts to outside stimulus in their own way. We got back to Chicago in early July and had packed and moved here by August 1st. My hubby stayed behind until Feb of the following year to wrap up the details of selling our home, and I did a ton of the computer work to help him get a job here in Jacksonville. My parents were amazing and allowed my daughter, and my self along with our little dog to stay with them until my husband was able to join us here. It saved me a ton of money because I didn't have to pay living expenses on 2 homes. And it gave me a chance to see the different areas around us, and to check out schools before commiting to a place to live. We sold our home in Chicago, and right now we are renting an apt, I have a few areas that I really like, and I'm starting to look into houses in those areas. We have one more year of middle school, and my daughter wants to attend one of the magnet type high school programs here in Clay county. She is looking into graphic design, advertising, or graphic arts with computer aided drafting. Most kids change their minds 100 times about the career they are interested in, we were told when she was in pre-school that she wanted to be an animator for Disney, her dream has never really changed all that much. Any of the careers she is looking into would let her make that dream come true. And thanks to the programs offered here in Clay county, she can finish high school with an associates degree, and she will only be 17. If she goes straight to college she can have her BA at 19. She is a brilliant young lady, and has amazing artistic ability. I'm glad her teachers have all encouraged her love and talent for Art, they actually take her abilities seriously and that has really boosted self esteem and self confidence.

Sounds great, she might actually have a chance to work for Disney being here in Florida, not so much in Chicago!So glad that she is healthier here, too. I am in Central Florida, and my family is here too. Both my daughter and I wish we had rented for awhile before choosing where to live. We have seen a lot of nicer places. But we like our house and community, too. Plus my house is paid and pool are paid for! Welcome back to Florida!

...OK...that moment passed...time to go work in the garden. B):P:D

Lol! Funny!

Gary, that's awesome! In the 20's and 30's here in New Mexico. Snowed yesterday. Spring is just around the corner, though! Besides, doesn't cold destroy fat cells? :P

Cold destroys fat cells huh? I only wish because I froze my A** of this winter! And I didn't lose any fat cells! Lol. Which is why I'm lucky enough to be moving to south Florida in two weeks! ;-

Wow, piercedqt78, that is an amazing story about your daughter and I am happy to hear it. Thankful her health improved so much. We have awesome magnet schools that get you into the top colleges. She sounds like a great young girl!