Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, I've been over at the lap band forum. I started my WLS path last summer, got approval through my insurance, they required a visit to a psychologist, and to a nutritionist before speaking to surgeon. I've researched the band, got comfortable with the idea of it, learned about the pros and con, and for the past six months that was the direction I was headed in. Until today, I finally had a conversation with the surgeon and he was less than enthusiastic about the band. He made a good argument, didn't pressure me one way or another, just based his judgement on his experiences and observations. He recommended the sleeve as an alternative. I hadn't originally wanted to get that invasive, I also liked the reversible option of the band. This has shaken my world, and I have to wrap my head around this. Did anyone else run into this?

I was just reading another thread where someone said that happened to them. http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/296212-undecided-lap-band-vs-sleeve/

I started out wanting a sleeve and that is what my doctor suggested.

We'll I had the lap and several years àgo. It was not successful for me. I was hungry and never felt full. The band at times was uncomfortable. Last September I had a friend that has the sleeve and was maintaining her weight loss after a year of reaching her goal . Maintaining the weight was a big sell for me. I was a yoyo person..lośing /gaining. I researched the sleeve ..pros/ cons ..étc. I decided this was for me cause I was literally exhausted from losing and gaining weight . I was scared, nervous, and anxious to have the sleeve..but something in me said this is for me. So I am 8 Weeks out and am doing just fine. Happy with my weight loss and looking forward to reaching my goal this year. I don't get hungry much anymore, which before surgery I was always hungry. I eat cause I have to.for nutrition. At the hospital at had the surgery...they are ñot performing lapband surgery as before.'

• Did the surgeon give you solid reasons for his preference? I know I wanted the lap-band because it was reversible, but that's the only reason I wanted it. Deep down inside I knew that it would be easy for me to "back" out of the program by somehow figuring out how to get it adjusted to where it didn't function. I know the gastric bypass is my best option because of me comorbids. Request the the surgeon give you articles to read and have him substantiate is opinion, you need to be comfortable with your final decision, not him.

I had originally decided on the band for the same reason you did....it was reversible and there was no cutting out or re-routing of any internal organs. Then I started reading about the sleeve. At first I was like...Oh no. Not going to go that extreme. But then I really started to visualize life with the band vs the sleeve.

With the band there is so much maintenance involved....filling, loosening, adjusting the fill amount. The problems associated with the band were also ongoing....slippage and erosion. At any point in time after having the band placed, problems can occur. Wether it is days, weeks, months, or years later slipping and erosion can be ongoing problems.

With the sleeve there is more of a risk for problems in the very beginning, right after surgery, but not after the physical healing has taken place. Once the sleeve is healed it is just like any other stomach...only smaller. The % of patients with complications are low.

Then I had to come to grips with the idea of it being reversible. Why exactly is reversing the restriction important? So I could eat larger amounts of food? I have already proven to myself that I cannot self-regulate the amount of food I eat. I'm obese. Point proven. I ALWAYS gain the weight back after loosing it. I ALWAYS end up fat again. I want to go through this extreme form of weight loss....and then NEVER be fat again. I have decided that I need something permanent so that my weight problem can be over for good.

It has taken me two years of kicking the idea around in my head and a solid eight months of serious committed research to get as far in the decision making process as I am currently. I am still pre-op and am still deciding between two doctors. I will be having my surgery sometime in June.

Research research research and Read everything you can get your hands on. Visualize what life would be like with the sleeve and with the band. Give yourself time to let the idea settle in and see how comfortable you can get with it so when you do make your decision you have given both options thorough and equal consideration.

Good Luck!!

I had a band in 2007 because I needed colon surgery and the surgeon said it was too risky unless I lost weight. I went from 308 to 237. Fast forward one year, the port flipped, I had to have surgery to fix it. Got a major infection that wouldn't heal. Not good. Finally got over that, and they couldn't fill the band. Port problem again. They did another surgery, and they did one fill, but I was unable to swallow anything. Eventually I had a slip and the band was removed in April 13. I did research and decided on a sleeve. I love my sleeve. I had the surgery 12/9/13. I'd gone back up to 257 when the band wasn't working. I weighed myself today and I'm at 219! My pants have changed from a 24-26 to a 16-18. My shoes went from an 8 1/2 wide to a 7 1/2 regular. It's amazing.

With the band I couldn't swallow pills, had to crush them. With the sleeve, I have no problem swallowing the pills.

No matter what option you choose, the surgery is just another tool to help you succeed. It's tough to do the liquid diet, it's tough to give up coffee, and it's tough to meet all the insurance requirements. But it's worth every bit of effort.

Good luck to you whatever you decide, and let us know how you are doing.

I am still pre-op, My surgery date is Feb. 10th. :-) I can't wait. I started researching WLS about 10 years ago and at that time the only things being offered were the RNY and the lap band. The RNY seemed so drastic and the lap band did not seem appealing to me at all. I didn't relish the thought of that port being visible to others and the thought of all of that maintenance was just too much to think about, not to mention the cost involved. Over the years I attended a number of seminars at different hospitals and with various surgeons. I just wasn't ready to pull the trigger I guess. Then last year while researching weight loss programs I came upon information about the sleeve. I started reading everything I could about it in books and on the internet. I looked at videos on the internet and I thought it was the best solution for me. By the time I could get an appointment with the surgeon to discuss it, months and months had passed by but she told me she was glad I was interested in the sleeve as she had decided to discontinue performing the lap band procedure due to all of the complications involved. I was sold again. Anyway, I've heard nothing but wonderful things about the sleeve and the before and after photos and videos Ive seen on the internet are amazing. Anyway... good luck in which ever one you choose.

Hello! I've posted my story here a couple of times so I won't go into a lot of details but I had the lap band for almost 2 years and it didn't work for me. When my surgeon removed it he found the band had caused erosion in area between my stomach and esophagus, If I hadn't had it removed I would have had a serious issue. I love my sleeve! I feel healthy, I eat small portions of nutrient dense foods and finally feel in control of what and how much food I put into my mouth. I am 46 pounds down, 39 of those since sleeve surgery 3 1/2 months ago. Definitely research the sleeve it has been one of the best things I have done for myself.

Best of luck & health to you,

Trina

My doctor (practicing in a major University hospital) is not a fan of the band either. Too many complications. I was interested in it a few years ago, even got as far as an appointment. Glad I waited. Nothing is fool proof or perfect but the data does not bode well for the band.

Oh, I should probably add that my surgeon really wanted me to have the gastric bypass when I went through the pre-op for the lap band, I'm still torn on whether or not I should have listened to him as I was afraid of how invasive bypass surgery is/was and turned to the lap band because the sleeve wasn't being approved in 2010 by my insurance company. I did learn a lot from having the lap band such as eating healthier and smaller portions. Unfortunately I only lost about 35 pounds and then gained almost 50 pounds back when I quit having band filled due to constant vomiting and a constant stuck feeling in my chest. Sorry if TMI but it was not a good feeling & I'd rather you know about it.

First post for me! I also had decided on the band until I went to the initial required information session and the surgeon flat out stated that he would only very rarely do the band and listed the rate of complications for years down the road as the reason. I too had to wrap my head around considering the sleeve due to this. After researching and thinking, I have concluded that it is the best option for me. Once healed, the risk of complications is very low. As an RN, that is wanting the best long term solution, I have decided to pursue the sleeve. My first consultation is this Friday! Good luck with your decision.

I too had only considered the band as my surgery of choice. I have looked into it for years but was always too afraid to go thru with it. I had a friend lose a lot of weight with it. This past summer I went on a low carb diet and giving myself a year to see what I could really accomplish on my own. Well, I'm at a standstill and the holidays did me in. With all of my efforts I managed to lose 30 pounds, but have gained a little more than 10 pounds back. I just can't do this on my own (been over weight almost my entire adult life). My best friend did the sleeve in August. It took her a total of a month and a half from the time she decided she wanted the surgery till she was having it. Lucky girl! A few weeks ago when I decided I would go ahead and start the ball rolling on surgery, I came straight to the sleeve forums and started taking it all in. I'm not looking back. I think this will be the best surgery choice for me. Now to get started on the unexpected 6 months supervised diet.

First post for me! I also had decided on the band until I went to the initial required information session and the surgeon flat out stated that he would only very rarely do the band and listed the rate of complications for years down the road as the reason. I too had to wrap my head around considering the sleeve due to this. After researching and thinking, I have concluded that it is the best option for me. Once healed, the risk of complications is very low. As an RN, that is wanting the best long term solution, I have decided to pursue the sleeve. My first consultation is this Friday! Good luck with your decision.

The part that bothers me most with my insurance is they put the surgeon at the end of the process. If we had a conversation 6 months ago, I might be doing something by now. Instead I almost feel like I'm starting over.

• Did the surgeon give you solid reasons for his preference? I know I wanted the lap-band because it was reversible, but that's the only reason I wanted it. Deep down inside I knew that it would be easy for me to "back" out of the program by somehow figuring out how to get it adjusted to where it didn't function. I know the gastric bypass is my best option because of me comorbids. Request the the surgeon give you articles to read and have him substantiate is opinion, you need to be comfortable with your final decision, not him.

Yes, he legitimized a lot of what we see in our research, and he was once the top lap band surgeon in a major research hospital. So I respect his opinion. But I hadn't considered or prepared for the result of our meeting together, I guess that's a weakness on my count. Why the lap band? I guess it seems less drastic than cutting out body parts or rearranging what nature spent thousands of years putting there.

That is weird putting the consult at the end. Most places start with an overview class with a surgeon, followed with a consult, then the long wait through insurance requirements.

I will echo what others have said.. started out looking at the band. I didn't want anything rearranged or removed, but more importantly it was reversible. as I researched the issues, I came to realize that I didn't feel fully committed. I finally had to re-evaluate whether I was ready to fully commit. Once I did, I decided to get a more permanent solution in the sleeve.

Good thing too, turned out my center doesn't do the sleeve any longer

Edited by belunos