Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to expect in a year?

Huh? Do you mean 1 year after surgery? It depends on the person, but you will be able to eat more 1 year out. You'll know when enough is enough.

My doc says never eat more than 4 oz at a time. So, 4 oz. Why test it? What does your doc say?

it really does depend on the person I am 2 years out this coming may and I still can't eat 4oz at once!

you will also know when you put too much in because it comes right back out, some times with no warning just blugh and your running with your hand over your mouth lol

the amount of times I have been drinking a cup of tea and projectile vomited over myself has become funny to me now.

don't stress it or go by everyone else we are all different end up with different sleeve sizes in the end that's not because they took more or less away its all to do with how big your stomach is before surgery.

if its bigger you are left with a bigger stomach sleeve if its smaller its smaller mine happened to be smaller and I haven't stretched it out.

I go by my body not stats not others at the same stage as me etc just me myself and I it really is the best way to go.

What you do at Thanksgiving? Well, you eat 3oz of turkey and a spoonful of green Beans. Simple.

I thought I would get to a cup. I'm just wondering what you do at a Thanksgiving dinner.

we don't have thanksgiving in the uk but I can tell you this past Christmas i had a small slice of turkey a small brussle sprout and a small cube of roast potato and i was done.

i could of maybe tried for more 30mins or so later we were all still at the table talking and eating but i didn;t feel like it and i was down one end far away from the door so if it was too much and i had to puke that's a lot of people to get by lol

what you don't want is to get food anxiety or to feel the pressure around family events/parties or holidays you will learn how many forkfuls of what you can eat, what food is denser than others so you can't tolerate as much etc

it all becomes second nature to you, you know your bodies signs for hey whoa full stop it gets a lot easier.

How does it work if you want to eat a salad?

salad isn't the best to eat- not a whole lot of nutrition there. You eat a bite. Or you just skip it. I don't mean to be negative at all, but your head might not be ready for this.

im 10.5 months out and have lost over 100 lbs. today I weigh 184.5 lbs and ive been inbetween 181-185 for the last 2 months so I think this is the weight im going to stay at and im ok with this. to answer your question, I can eat about 6oz to 8oz of food at each meal. this fills me up and leaves me very satisfied. if the food is dense, like steak or Pasta, its more near the 6oz. if I eat salad and softer foods then I can eat about 8oz. on rare occasions if I add in a soft desert like a greek yogurt or some no sugar added ice cream as a treat, I probably have eaten 10oz. hope this info helps, but im sure if you ask 10 people this question youll get at least 5-6 different answers.

I had a lot of food anxieties. The day before surgery I almost changed my mind b/c I was freaking out over the fact of eating 4 oz. I am 10 wks. out and that has gone away. I can’t believe it. Food really was controlling my life. I actually enjoy eating more now than before surgery. It’s hard to explain but I think with the less I eat the more I taste.

I'm right over a year out and maintaining my weight at 116 lbs. I can eat a lot more than I could a year ago, but definitely not what I could eat before surgery. I'd say I can eat 6 ounces of dense Protein and a small side if veggies or Beans. It depends on the day. During pms I can eat considerably more. Other times I get full quicker. I eat salad daily, usually for lunch. I'll have a grilled chicken salad with feta cheese, tomatoes and cucumbers. No dressing. I average 1500-1600 calories in maintenance. During weight loss I was at 600 calories a day and 20 carbs. Now I average about 130 carbs a day.

I am only 7 weeks out, but I have been told I will be able to eat about 8 oz. eventually. Right now 2-4 oz. is usually enough. Again, you'll learn your body's signals, but if you are feeling anxious about food for a special occasion, it's OK. Find someone to talk to. Psych. evals. are really helpful!

I'm about 13 months out from surgery. I can't eat a whole lot at once. However, I'm said to say that my appetite/hunger has definitely made a reappearance...