Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Second guessing my decision for surgery in Mexico...

I traveled to Mexico to have my gastric sleeve done in September 2013. I was close to backing out up until I went to sleep. I had a few bad dreams and anxiety attacks along the way. However, now I am so glad I did it, I would never go back to the way my life used to be.

I had my sleeve done at OCC on 01/13/14 and couldn't be happier. I have watched my beloved mother battle with obesity related illness for the past 15 years including diabetes, high blood pressure , open heart surgery , copd, neuropathy, eye problems knee problems from excess weight and statin drugs the list seems endless and her quality of life is so poor. I love her with all my heart and sadly they think it's boarderline too big a risk to do the surgery on her now...... I never want to walk down the road she has but I had to admit before surgery I was walking in her very footsteps. I'm so grateful to the team at occ for giving me my life back. It's a deeply personal decision that we each make alone. I hope you find the tight answer for you. You are in my prayers.

I have a date set to have VSG with Dr. Aceves in March. Both my husband and I have done a lot of research and felt really comfortable with this decision. But after talking with my Dad recently about it, I'm starting to second guess myself.

Of course my Dad is just being a concerned dad... worried about me, my family, etc. We lost my mom just about 6 months ago to cancer, so I'm sure for him to watch his only daughter run off to Mexico for major surgery isn't an easy thing. So these are his concerns that got me thinking...

1. What happens if there are some major complications and I'm stuck in MX? For weeks? For a month? Longer?

2. The surgeons in MX don't have any health history on us. Do they care? To just show up to a stranger, never seen before and have major surgery looks a little crazy? Doesn't it?

3. What happens if there are complications when I get home? Who takes care of me then? Would my insurance (who doesn't pay for the surgery to begin with) cover any hospital stay if I were to have a complication or infection or whatever?!?

There was a lot more to the conversation, but I'm sad that it's making me rethink my decision. They are all pretty valid concerns, and I don't really know what I would do if complications arise. :( I'm just hoping there are no complications! Is that realistic?

I have 2nd, 3rd,4th and 5th guessed my decision to have surgery in mexico. I'm still not 100% with my decision. Then I think. What's the alternative? If I continue on this way I'm gonna die. I have read the posts on this site and the good out weighs the bad. So I'm moving forward. I pray that all goes well with the surgery. I've had family members tell me not to do it, that they dreamed I died in surgery and that totally freaked me out. Almost made me change my mind. Then I came back to my senses. I am also having surgery in march with Dr Lopez at MI Doctor! Think I will feel so much better about the surgery when its done.

I had my surgery in the states as my insurance paid for it. One of my friends did not have insurance that would cover he rsurgery,so she went to Dr Aceves in Mexicali. She did wonderfully. She and I are both RN's and her opinion of the hospital was top notch. Much cleaner than US hospitals. They gave her all her records and 2 days after surgery she was walking, and feeling great. I am very impressed with her care and her comfort level. She seemed to recover much faster than I did.

I had my surgery in the states as my insurance paid for it. One of my friends did not have insurance that would cover he rsurgery,so she went to Dr Aceves in Mexicali. She did wonderfully. She and I are both RN's and her opinion of the hospital was top notch. Much cleaner than US hospitals. They gave her all her records and 2 days after surgery she was walking, and feeling great. I am very impressed with her care and her comfort level. She seemed to recover much faster than I did.

Those are the kind of stories that keeps me pushing on!

Those are the kind of stories that keeps me pushing on!

I'll be there solo and it's around the same time your going!!! All I can say is yes I'm scared but we can do it!!!! U have 3 beautiful children at home that I want to do so much with but can't do to my weight and I am putting a final stop to it. Dr. Ortiz has my heart!! I'm going with him because unlike other surgeons he cares. I can't wait and I hope u join me on this exciting trip.!!!

Those are the kind of stories that keeps me pushing on! I'll be there solo and it's around the same time your going!!! All I can say is yes I'm scared but we can do it!!!! U have 3 beautiful children at home that I want to do so much with but can't do to my weight and I am putting a final stop to it. Dr. Ortiz has my heart!! I'm going with him because unlike other surgeons he cares. I can't wait and I hope u join me on this exciting trip.!!!

I ment to say I have 3 beautiful children

Sarah, I'm a realtor too but in Colorado. Where in Mexico did you go to have your surgery? I'm so concerned about safety. My husband has more doubts than I do.

I used dr. Ponce de leon,

I think every single one of us has had these fears. My husband was very quiet about all this when I started talking to him last November (2012) about it. Then one day I said tell me what your fears are because I have come to the conclusion this is what I Am doing with or with out you and I want you to be ok with this. We finally spoke about his fears and concerns and he was very much on board with this.

I worked very hard to be sure we had enough money in the bank for the surgery and for any time I needed off. I am a realtor, the main bread winner and I needed to be set for a few months!

These were his fears as well.

WHAT IF???? So I asked everyone. If I needed help I would go to the ER and get help. Period. They cannot not help you. I was close enough to the boarder/San Diego that they would take me there by ambulance if necessary. When I got home and needed something I had a doctor who takes cash petients and could help me.

Guess what I had an amazing expereince! I had a safe surgery! I was back on my feet, flying home in fantastic condition 3 days later. I took the largest listing of my life the next day I was home (I had surgery Friday afternoon came home monday).

I only needed to see a docotor once to get some blood work done and my insurance covered it and I needed to try a couple acid reducer until I found the right one ( over the counter zantex) .

I lost large amounts of weight and my giggest complaint is how am I going to keep up with my work clothing. LOL I personally have sent 3 freinds and 1 stranger down to Dr. Ponce De Leon and they have all had the exact same experience I did.

If you are not feeling these fears I would be concerend for you, the fact that people who love you are worried thats a good thing. BUT this is your body, this is your surgery, this is your money. You go there with your head held high, get your stomach out of your body and come home.

I can't wait to see your results!

Sarah

If you want a texting buddy I do that for people. just PM me

Those are the kind of stories that keeps me pushing on! I'll be there solo and it's around the same time your going!!! All I can say is yes I'm scared but we can do it!!!! U have 3 beautiful children at home that I want to do so much with but can't do to my weight and I am putting a final stop to it. Dr. Ortiz has my heart!! I'm going with him because unlike other surgeons he cares. I can't wait and I hope u join me on this exciting trip.!!!

I ment to say I have 3 beautiful children

I will be there. 2 weeks to go. OMG are we really doing this?