Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Second guessing my decision for surgery in Mexico...

I have a date set to have VSG with Dr. Aceves in March. Both my husband and I have done a lot of research and felt really comfortable with this decision. But after talking with my Dad recently about it, I'm starting to second guess myself.

Of course my Dad is just being a concerned dad... worried about me, my family, etc. We lost my mom just about 6 months ago to cancer, so I'm sure for him to watch his only daughter run off to Mexico for major surgery isn't an easy thing. So these are his concerns that got me thinking...

1. What happens if there are some major complications and I'm stuck in MX? For weeks? For a month? Longer?

2. The surgeons in MX don't have any health history on us. Do they care? To just show up to a stranger, never seen before and have major surgery looks a little crazy? Doesn't it?

3. What happens if there are complications when I get home? Who takes care of me then? Would my insurance (who doesn't pay for the surgery to begin with) cover any hospital stay if I were to have a complication or infection or whatever?!?

There was a lot more to the conversation, but I'm sad that it's making me rethink my decision. They are all pretty valid concerns, and I don't really know what I would do if complications arise. :( I'm just hoping there are no complications! Is that realistic?

hey girl,

I don't know about Dr Aceves but i can tell you i had surgery with Dr Ortez at OCC and everytihg went FINE, BETTER than fine. they are set up there for any possible problem it's a full hospital. they know what they are doing and do bloodwork ekg and all t hat before surgery. they get a full medical history on you and after having done over 13,000 of this same surgery VSG they know what they are doing TRUST ME! it's totally natural to second guess yourself WE ALL DID IT! All i can tell you is this is the greatest gift i have ever given myself. I m not even a month post op down 30 lbs and feeling awesome!!!!!

i had 0 complications pain nausea vometing nothing...... do y our research, pick your surgeon with care and you will be FINE.

Not to say that there will be complications, but there always is that chance as we all know. If you had a complication directly from the sleeve, say like a leak for example, my understanding is that insurance will not cover it at all.

If there was something separate, such as dehydration, your insurance would cover it as you would be getting treated for dehydration itself which would be considered a separate issue from the surgery.

The risk of serious financial repurcussions is what made me decide against using Mexico as an option. Just my preference, I was not comfortable with risking my family's financial future and potentially all of our savings on it.

I know many people have been and they are more than happy that they did. I also found a lot of self pay options in the US that were reasonably priced. Some offer a complications insurance and some don't.

I can only speak to #3. As a self-pay, I asked this question. My insurance, BCBS of Nebraska, will not cover any complications that arise from a non-covered procedure. My clinic offered supplemental insurance, which was very expensive.

Hello, I know your decision should not be taken lightly but I too have done a lot of research and as we speak I'm committing to a date of Feb 26th in TJ. I'm really scared, full of mixed emotions but I know it's the right decision. Commit to it and say I will do it. Diane

I am not 100% sure of about coverage for life threatening complications because of the health care act. I am not sure even all the insurance companies are up to speed with the rules and regulations of pre existing conditions. For me with my surgeon and my health history, I am comfortable with the risks of that I will be okay. I have recovered from a bankruptcy before so if it would come to that it would.

As far as medical history, I was required to list any surgeries and the hospitals that the surgeries took place at. In this day and age getting that information should they require it is a matter of a phone call and a fax. Maybe I will fill out a HIPAA form allowing any facility to release any information to my surgeon just to be sure. They also do standard preop testing for surgery prior to surgery so they have a better picture of your health that day then what your health was 15 years ago.

All that being said, my mother is absolutely against me having this done in Mexico. I have decided that it is my body and my health and I need to make the decision for myself, not for her because she will not have to live with the risks of me being obese or living with complications from the surgery. Most of their worry is because they have not done the research and will need to see you are okay with their own eyes.

Talk to YOUR insurance about complications, I did and they don't cover it.

I am battling the same thing in my head about complications ans cost/where to have it dealt with. Talk to the Doctor that is doing the surgery about his policy.

I also used Dr. Ariel Ortiz at OCC and had a very good experience. Feel free to read some of my previous posts. I had a situation arise the day after my sleeve surgery explained in past posts (I wouldn't call it a complication necessarily) and OCC recognized it and took care of it in short order. They very easily could have discharged me and sent me on my way but they did not turn their back on me. It was not anything caused by my sleeve surgery. I actually left Mexico in better shape than what I came in. I know there are so many variables and I can only speak for myself, but I haven't had complications so far. I am 7 weeks out. I totally understand your concerns, I thought pretty identically to you. In my heart I felt it was better to take a small risk in Mexico than do nothing and take the absolute certain diabetes diagnosis that was coming my way. Losing weight "on my own" just wasn't working and had not worked in 30 years.

Good luck with your decision, I understand your hesitation completely.

If your insurance excludes the surgery they typically will not cover any costs due to complications. The affordable health care act has nothing to do with this. Every policy is different. Check with your insurance company. If a major complication arose, you would be stuck there till you are well enough to travel.

You raise great questions. All of self pay due to insurance exclusions had to make the choice. I did not have complication insurance. I had my surgery done state side. Believe me, I thought long and hard about the what ifs. I eventually decided to do and pray for a favorable outcome. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut.

Good luck to you. You will be well informed with whatever decision you make.

I will be having surgery in Mexico on 2/27/14. I did all of my research and I will be going with Dr. jaime Ponce de leon. I also contacted my insurance who informed me that they would cover complications. It is important to talk to your insurance company to clarify with them.

Good Luck and Well Wishes!

I used dr. Ponce de leon,

I think every single one of us has had these fears. My husband was very quiet about all this when I started talking to him last November (2012) about it. Then one day I said tell me what your fears are because I have come to the conclusion this is what I Am doing with or with out you and I want you to be ok with this. We finally spoke about his fears and concerns and he was very much on board with this.

I worked very hard to be sure we had enough money in the bank for the surgery and for any time I needed off. I am a realtor, the main bread winner and I needed to be set for a few months!

These were his fears as well.

WHAT IF???? So I asked everyone. If I needed help I would go to the ER and get help. Period. They cannot not help you. I was close enough to the boarder/San Diego that they would take me there by ambulance if necessary. When I got home and needed something I had a doctor who takes cash petients and could help me.

Guess what I had an amazing expereince! I had a safe surgery! I was back on my feet, flying home in fantastic condition 3 days later. I took the largest listing of my life the next day I was home (I had surgery Friday afternoon came home monday).

I only needed to see a docotor once to get some blood work done and my insurance covered it and I needed to try a couple acid reducer until I found the right one ( over the counter zantex) .

I lost large amounts of weight and my giggest complaint is how am I going to keep up with my work clothing. LOL I personally have sent 3 freinds and 1 stranger down to Dr. Ponce De Leon and they have all had the exact same experience I did.

If you are not feeling these fears I would be concerend for you, the fact that people who love you are worried thats a good thing. BUT this is your body, this is your surgery, this is your money. You go there with your head held high, get your stomach out of your body and come home.

I can't wait to see your results!

Sarah

If you want a texting buddy I do that for people. just PM me

Just got back from Mexico with my partner. I had my surgery in NY. I had a bmi of 40 so insurance covered it. She only had bmi of 32 so we went to Mexico after we spoke to my bariatric surgeon about it. We are both nurses and even my surgeon supported Medical Tourism. He says they are just as qualified. We used Fernando Garcia. He is an accredited bariatric surgeon. he does about 10 sleeves a week which is more than my surgeon in NYC. We were in an actual hospital. She received blood work, x-Ray, EKG and check up from 3 doctors (2 worked with Dr. Garcia and one was an internal medicine doctor.) we also met the anesthesiologist prior to the surgery. Everything happened just as they said it would. The hospital was simple ( florence hospital) but clean. The hotel (Marriott) was great. Everyone spoke English and answered all of our questions. she had her surgery exactly 2 weeks ago and went back to work today 12 pounds lighter. as far as the insurance coverage after you should call your insurance company and also ask your primary doctor if they can follow you after the procedure to monitor the surgical site and lab work. They will also know what they can do within insurance guidelines. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions. We were very happy wih our choice.

Ugh I misspelled a couple words, How do you edit? Or just overlook my couple typos K!

Such valid concerns! I had surgery 2.5 months ago & am so much healthier (cholesterol down from 215 to 150) that my insurance company should send me a rebate on my premiums, lol . I have an individual policy from the ACA exchange & I chose it because I was able too see its fine print ahead of time. It reads that WLS is not covered, but that revisions or adjustments to it are covered if they remedy a life-threatening situation.

Best wishes in making your decision. The surgeon you have chosen is certainly well-regarded & has probably trained many of the most reputable US docs. You also get 3 nights in a full-service center of excellence hospital with him and he is a fellow in the American College of surgeons. (I personally felt that his costs were unnecessarily high compared to the Mexican surgeon I eventually chose, but I strongly considered him before I got comfortable with my choice).

I am the health insurance manager at my company and I went over and over this with my insurance broker. The truth is, if your insurance does not cover the procedure it will most likely not cover complications. But here is the thing, it doesn't matter if you self pay for the procedure in the US, Canada or Timbuktu. Going to mexico has nothing to do with getting complications paid for or not. This fact actually helped me to decide Mexico was best for me.

I researched and had total confidence in my doctor (Dr. Quinones) but with any surgery I also knew there was a chance of complications. I elected to stay in mexico a couple of extra days, thinking if anyajor complications came up Dr. Quinones could address them (at a quarter of the cost of a self pay Surgeon here in the US).

I am a week out now, just got home yesterday. I feel great and have had no issues at all - not even any pain. Of course, I don't know what the future holds and I could have some kind of complication come up. If it does I will have to deal with it and I know my insurance won't cover it but again that has nothing to do with Mexico and I would have to deal with that possibility no matter where I had surgery.