Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

struggling a little

I have had some recent things in my personal life that needed to happen, but are still stressful. On top of that, the personal trainer at the gym had me WAY over do it so I am rehabbing that injury and so exercising less intensely. I don't think I am eating more, but the scale says otherwise. (I don't track and haven't since about 3-4 months post op so I am not 100% certain).

Yesterday was superbowl madness - I treated myself to some nuts and two beers - no chips, no nachos, no chili - really just some nuts and beer and i am up several pounds. I know it is just temporary but you know, sometimes i just need to vent. argghh

This all started with a particularly carb filled day a week or so ago and I think that I have just been letting carbs sneak into my world. Dang it.

In general, maintenance hasn't been that hard for me over the last year, but I am just starting "year 3" and I suspect new challenges are emerging. The key for me is constant monitoring (ie weigh daily) and immediate adjustment.

So glad I have all of you to vent to because you all would understand.

Vent away!

You have been a real inspiration over the time I have been on the site. You have been strong about all you have been through and thoughtful about the way you recount your story. So I am sorry to hear that you have been stressed by your life recently.

I am not going to tell you off for anything you said about what you've eaten - I might if I was perfect but I ain't! But rather than beating yourself up about what you've done, what would you have done in the past when stressed? I bet by comparison, the last week has still been a fraction of what you would have eaten in the past.

Great thing is your self-awareness. You know what you've done - and you know how to fix it. You're out your exercise routine and that will come back. You're a bit squashed by life, but that will pass.

You've got this. Be kind to yourself as you have been to others when they have slipped. So, CGJ, time to get back on the horse and get on with it !!!! :-)))))

Cowgirl Jane you are one of my favorite ladys to listen to for words of wisdom.

Today is a new day and it starts "Right Now" this meal, limit you carb intake and know that when you have alcohol it take 3 days to clear out of your system so you will start seeing the weight loss come back on the scale. Thought a cold beer does sound good it is a treat and you enjoyed it, simple. Dont beat your self up over it.

Now that is a new day just get back on track and be encouraged all your hard work will keep you going on the path you were meant to be on!!

Jane, one word for you...stress. I am a strong believer that stress plays a big part in hindering weight loss.

Have you tried yoga?

I also wanted to add that if I have a day of eating more junk than usual I do not weigh the next day. I know a lot may have different views on this and that's ok. I will wait until after I have gone back to my normal eating for a few days and then I weigh.

If I have made the decision to eat that way I know what the result is from eating a lot of salt and such, the scale will be up the next day. Why torture myself and look at the number when I know that after a few days of normal eating I will be right where I was before? To me, it's just a mean mental game that I would be playing with myself, like a punishment for eating that way. I look at it as normal to have some days when I might eat more junk foods. This is just life, for me anyway.

My disclaimer to this would be that if I was doing this day after day and not going back to my usual eating routine, then there is a problem and I need to step on the scale and make some changes.

Hi Jane,

My year three begins in May. I'm with you- constant monitoring and adjusting my diet based on that is needed for me to stay at goal. I wish it were different but that's my life.

Lynda

Most of the time I accept that I am not normal when it comes to weight management...but it occasionally still ticks me off. Exercise, eat really well MOST of the time. Heck I dont even eat "meals" by most people's standards and yet a small deviation and it shows up on the scale. That is my reality, just pisses me off sometimes. Grump.

I have said many times I am very content with my weight at about 150, but at 5'5" that is not exactly skinny. You would think that would be easy to maintain...and with my active lifestyle, even get smaller...but truth of it is that my body gravitates toward being heavier and that's just the way it is.

Carry on...what other choice do we have?

Most of the time I accept that I am not normal when it comes to weight management...but it occasionally still ticks me off. Exercise, eat really well MOST of the time. Heck I dont even eat "meals" by most people's standards and yet a small deviation and it shows up on the scale. That is my reality, just pisses me off sometimes. Grump.

I have said many times I am very content with my weight at about 150, but at 5'5" that is not exactly skinny. You would think that would be easy to maintain...and with my active lifestyle, even get smaller...but truth of it is that my body gravitates toward being heavier and that's just the way it is.

Carry on...what other choice do we have?

I'm with you Jane. At almost 5'4", I'm far from thin, but I have a body that is happy where it is. If I deviate the slightest from pretty minimal intake of around 800 calories, I don't lose. If I eat something salty, I immediately hold on to Water. If I have a day where I eat over 1500 calories (and I rarely do), I gain. Real fat. The whole thing just pisses me off most of the time, lol. I'm starting to come to the realization that maybe this is it for me. I'd like to hit 160, and I think with plastics maybe I'll hit 145 - maybe. One thing is certain, we must carry on. I could easily weigh 300+ pounds again in no time flat, so I'll keep fighting to never go back there. Thanks for your vent - you know what they say about misery ;)

I have had some recent things in my personal life that needed to happen, but are still stressful. On top of that, the personal trainer at the gym had me WAY over do it so I am rehabbing that injury and so exercising less intensely. I don't think I am eating more, but the scale says otherwise. (I don't track and haven't since about 3-4 months post op so I am not 100% certain). Yesterday was superbowl madness - I treated myself to some nuts and two beers - no chips, no nachos, no chili - really just some nuts and beer and i am up several pounds. I know it is just temporary but you know, sometimes i just need to vent. argghh This all started with a particularly carb filled day a week or so ago and I think that I have just been letting carbs sneak into my world. Dang it. In general, maintenance hasn't been that hard for me over the last year, but I am just starting "year 3" and I suspect new challenges are emerging. The key for me is constant monitoring (ie weigh daily) and immediate adjustment. So glad I have all of you to vent to because you all would understand.

I think January has been harder to eat clean and low carb than December was. You'd think the holidays would be worse. I've posted before about my experience and injury with a personal trainer. It's so frustrating. If I ever get another again, it's going to be someone who rehabbed from WLS and became a trainer. Now that's an untapped market! Our joints are not ever going to be the same as someone who has been mildly obese, or unless you are in your 20's. From what I've read, pain from arthritis is erased but not the structural damage. I hope you feel better soon. Everyone around me is in a mid winter funk. Me included. You are one of my biggest inspiration CGJ so hang tough. You've got this!

I think January has been harder to eat clean and low carb than December was. You'd think the holidays would be worse. I've posted before about my experience and injury with a personal trainer. It's so frustrating. If I ever get another again, it's going to be someone who rehabbed from WLS and became a trainer. Now that's an untapped market! Our joints are not ever going to be the same as someone who has been mildly obese, or unless you are in your 20's. From what I've read, pain from arthritis is erased but not the structural damage. I hope you feel better soon. Everyone around me is in a mid winter funk. Me included. You are one of my biggest inspiration CGJ so hang tough. You've got this!

I SO agree with your post! I did fabulous through the holidays and fell off the wagon regarding carbs a couple weeks ago! Lordy! So weird!!!

It was the same for me!! I was solid in December with will power of steel. January , not so much. I think it was rebound eating!

Ugh. Me too for January overindulgence. I think I was depressed after seeing my body fat percentage and I worked really hard to toe the line over the holidays. Whatever. I'm back in the saddle and looking forward to a trip to Palm Springs in a couple of weeks. I'm gonna rock the Midcentury look at Midcentury modernism week there.

Lynda

When I was obese, I would go through these emotional rollercoasters.... like I would work so hard to get to say....240# and feel wonderful and then suddenly I was 250# again. It would often make me just give up, that feeling of despair and that feeling like the effort it took to lose/maintain was beyond what I could sustain.

During this weight loss journey I have been pretty good about not letting a number on a scale give me a good or bad day, we all have normal little stalls, weight fluctuations etc. However, for some reason, this time it just felt discouraging.

The day I posted this thread I weighed 154, still 4# under my goal. However, that old feeling was there - like, wtf??? How did this happen so quickly? I am glad i wrote about it instead of trying to deny my feelings and I really appreciate all the feedback and comiseration!!

So guess what, this morning I am back down to 148 - within my current "bounce range". A number on a scale doesn't give me a good or bad day, but knowing that the process WORKS, that following good eating and fitness habits works is reassuring and bolsters my confidence.

good thing because next week I am going to a big business meeting where there will be much eating and drinking. Last year I maintained during that weeklong trip and I am gonna do it again!

Hi Jane, I totally understand how it sucks to be sidelined. I was stuck for many months though... so it could be worse. I'm barely and finally able to walk normally and it's been 3 months so far. Get this, it's only post op I'm talking about. I'm not talking about all the months I stood waiting for my surgery. -And- may I add I'm getting ready to start working on my other knee now.

That said, hunny put your big girl panties on and kick some butt. You know how and what to do, no one here needs to tell you that. Only offer you big hugs and a pat on the back. But after that... get it together. B)

Jane, you are the queen of thinking through feelings and action. You got this. It is so smart to bring the feelings into thought now and then... it just takes some of the power out of them and brings a little objectivity. Good for you girl! I have been struggling with my impulses too a bit... I really just put it in my mouth if its around. I guess I do pass some stuff by, but other times in it goes! I too have some confidence that that I can get back into my lower bounce range sooner than later... I just don't let it get that far out of control (so far since maintenance anyway)....honestly, getting a little bit out of control in between tightening the reigns feels kind of good. Makes me feel like I can eat how I want... at least once in a while. Is it dangerous? I hope not... so far so good. I do bounce around a little bit every week it seems.... but within 3 pounds.