Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody have Dr. Dmitry Nepomnayshy - Lahey - For Sleeve?

Hello:

I'm a former bandster that has had a bit of a history with band. First (small) band July 2007. Slipped and revised to larger band July 2010. Then, band eroded and removed July 2013. So, my fabulous Lap Band Surgeon just recently started doing sleeves. I think he's done less than 20 at this point, but he just started six months ago. He's done thousands of bands. He recommended that I go and see Dr. Nepomnayshy for a consult prior to proceeding with the sleeve to see if he thinks I should be sleeved, and if so, should I be sleeved by someone with more experience because I may have scar tissue due to two bands and erosion.

Has anybody on this forum seen Dr. Nepomnayshy? If so, please give me your opinions about him, and his group in general. It's okay to send a pm if you don't want to post for everyone to see.

I have an appointment in March with Dr. Nepomnayshy. I really would prefer to have surgery with Dr. Adam Glasgow, but I need to get an experienced sleeve surgeon's opinion. Dr. Glasgow and Dr. Nepomnayshy know each other. Dr. Glasgow had Dr. Nepomnayshy observe him doing sleeves when he first started.

I look forward to and appreciate your feedback.

Thank you.

Sue

I was very happy with Dr. Nepomnayshy. He did my Lap Band in 2007 and also the removal in 2011 when it eroded. Actually before we knew for sure it had eroded, I was rushed to South Shore Hospital (I lived in Quincy at the time) with a mysterious illness (high fever, flu like symptoms) - my kidneys shut down and I was septic. I was in the ICU for 4 days, ended up dehydrated and with a bowel obstruction that they did nothing about. The staff at South Shore Hospital were afraid to give me an NG tube because I was banded, and let me suffer for 2 more days. We called Dr. Nepomnayshy's team at Lahey Clinic and within 30 minutes I was being transferred by ambulance to Lahey Clinic in Burlington. Once in Dr. Nepomnayshy's hands I immediately improved. I am convinced SSH would have killed me. During that stay further tests revealed the band had completely eroded into my stomach and had to be removed. I was devasted that it had to come out because I had done so well on it until then. At the time, I was supposedly only Lahey's second patient to ever experience band erosion (I wonder how that number has changed since!). Dr. Nepomnayshy would not do a revision on me for at least 6-12 months, until my stomach completely healed. At the time I was a wreck, but now I appreciate his caution. If I did end up needing a revision, he wanted to do RNY over VSG (which I preferred) - I think there was some concern about weakening of the stomach wall from the band. By the time I had healed, my employer changed insurance plans and WLS was no longer covered so a 2nd surgery was out of the question. But I would have gone back to him without hesitation. If your insurance covers WLS, Lahey Clinic has a great bariatric program, with lots of support. They were a Center of Excellence before most of the others in MA. I don't know if nurse Pam is still there, but she was wonderful. If I wasn't self-pay, I would go back to Lahey. Unfortunately self-pay for bariatrics in the Northeast is ridiculously expensive.