Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op soups and protein

Hello. I am 5 days post - op. I was surprised to see Tomato Soup as one of the food options. Does anyone know what other types of Soup would be considered whatever is acceptable for post op. I was under the impression Clear Liquids would be broth only. If Tomato soup made with lactaid milk is ok I'm wondering what else is. Also can Protein Powder be put in the soup? I'm currently only getting approx 300 calories a day and only 30 Protein so I'm trying to find ways to add it. I put it in sugar free pudding and it was fine.

Last question is. I was using Muscle Milk powder but I'm almost out of it. What is everyone's favorite or best choice for protein.

Thank you :-)

Hello. I am 5 days post - op. I was surprised to see Tomato Soup as one of the food options. Does anyone know what other types of Soup would be considered whatever is acceptable for post op. I was under the impression clear liquids would be broth only. If Tomato soup made with lactaid milk is ok I'm wondering what else is. Also can Protein powder be put in the soup? I'm currently only getting approx 300 calories a day and only 30 Protein so I'm trying to find ways to add it. I put it in sugar free pudding and it was fine. Last question is. I was using Muscle Milk powder but I'm almost out of it. What is everyone's favorite or best choice for protein. Thank you :-)

I use Premier Protein. It's ready to drink and it has 30 grams protein. SAMs Club and costco carry it. I'm not sure of other places.

I seen that some people eat Campbell's Soup On The Go. I thought about trying it but the sugar seemed high to me. Maybe it's just my paranoia of dumping. Lol. I see my nutritionist tomorrow and I'll ask her.

I think the Protein Powder is good to use in hot liquid up to a certain temp. I'm not sure but it may be 140 degrees. I read it on here somewhere but I forgot the exact temp.

Good luck with your recovery. : )

I lived on Tomato Soup for the first couple of weeks. I added milk fortified with skimmed milk powder to boost the Protein content.... No issues with it :-) also made sure it was the low salt/sugar version...

Thank you RnJsNana and Indigo. What a relief to have soup!!! I need to remember to get low salt and or sugar.

My favorite Protein drink for almost a year straight now has been premiere Protein in chocolate flavor that can be found at SAMs club and costco. Tastes just like chocolate milk. Also great to warm it up and it tastes like hot cocoa! :)

I also made any Soups I could in the beginning with milk to add additional protein. I also added unflavored protein into anything I could.

Edited by kraney

I'm surprised that Tomato Soup was on a "clear" liquid list. It was on my full liquid list. But as we see daily in these forums, every doctor is different :-)

Like some of the above posters, Premier Protein ready made chocolate shakes were (and still are) my favorite.

I'm surprised that Tomato Soup was on a "clear" liquid list. It was on my full liquid list. But as we see daily in these forums, every doctor is different :-) Like some of the above posters, Premier Protein ready made chocolate shakes were (and still are) my favorite.

I know me too. It was part of my stage 3 diet list as an example.

Hello all. Anyone within the 2 week post op or anyone remember what you ate. I'm getting bored with Jello, broth, and Protein Shakes. Is there anything else that can be eaten during his stage?

Hello all. Anyone within the 2 week post op or anyone remember what you ate. I'm getting bored with Jello, broth, and Protein Shakes. Is there anything else that can be eaten during his stage?

I could have sugar free Popsicles , Edy's sugar free is really good.

Low fat or fat free cottage cheese,

No sugar added applesauce

No sugar added rice pudding

Low sugar custard.

Thank you RnJsNana. I haven't tried Edy's. Unfortunately I don't like cottage cheese or rice pudding but I could try Applesauce. I don't know what you mean by custard?

I could have sugar free Popsicles , Edy's sugar free is really good. Low fat or fat free cottage cheese, No sugar added applesauce No sugar added rice pudding Low sugar custard.

Thank you RnJsNana. I haven't tried Edy's. Unfortunately I don't like cottage cheese or rice pudding but I could try Applesauce. I don't know what you mean by custard?

You're welcome.

I'm not sure about the custard either. Lol. I don't like rice pudding so I didn't try it.

I ate cottage cheese, applesauce and the Edy's Popsicles.

I had been using Muscle Milk until I realized it's only 16 Protein per scoop. So I bought Matrix by Syntrax and I hate the taste of it. It's been hard eating only broth and gagging down crushed medicine but now to have to gag down Protein Drinks is a total bummer. Has anyone else here experienced going from muscle milk to something that tastes somewhat as good?

I had been using Muscle Milk until I realized it's only 16 Protein per scoop. So I bought Matrix by Syntrax and I hate the taste of it. It's been hard eating only broth and gagging down crushed medicine but now to have to gag down Protein drinks is a total bummer. Has anyone else here experienced going from muscle milk to something that tastes somewhat as good?

I liked the Premier Protein. My dr and nut don't give a lot of advice on protein supplements, they said after the liquid stage they don't want us to supplement but to get our protein from whole foods. Seems hard to do.

I had been using Muscle Milk until I realized it's only 16 Protein per scoop. So I bought Matrix by Syntrax and I hate the taste of it. It's been hard eating only broth and gagging down crushed medicine but now to have to gag down protein drinks is a total bummer. Has anyone else here experienced going from muscle milk to something that tastes somewhat as good?

I have used Syntha 6. I like all favors but my favorite is chocolate or Cappuccino I order it from Lucky Vitamins. I also like the Unjury powder. Amazon sells both of these. For a ready made shake I like Primier Protein. You can get these at Walmart. SAMs has the 12 pack.

I have used Syntha 6. I like all favors but my favorite is chocolate or cappuccino I order it from Lucky Vitamins. I also like the Unjury powder. Amazon sells both of these. For a ready made shake I like Primier Protein. You can get these at Walmart. SAMs has the 12 pack.

If you try mixing 1 or 2 spoons of sugar free pudding mix to your matrix it may taste better to you. I mix it in all my shakes I make. I love the taste and it gives a smoother consistency. Also the powdered Peanut Butter is good mixed in.