Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op and Hungry

I had my surgery Feb 6th...a week ago today! Hungry....yes...I've been drinking all my Water...2 Protein shakes a day...I can have sf Jello, pudding, popsicles, applesauce now and cream Soups. I seem to do best sticking with the Protein Shakes and soups...when I get the sf stuff I end up really hungry....Next week I get cottage cheese and scrambled eggs!!!!

What's plication?

Good luck!

Edited by lasal

plications is the folding and stiching of the stomach, kinda like the sleeve.
What you folks are experiencing is "bandster hell". You get a little restriction after surgery due to the swelling of the stomach. After the swelling goes down, you have to follow a strict "diet" until you get adequate fills to give you the restriction you need. After each fill, you might feel some restriction and think you have hit the "green zone" and then the restriction ends up going away or dimming. Eventually, you do hit the green zone and it stays. Good luck and keep reading.

Thanks for the information!!! That helps!

To control the hunger during the Fluid phase drink high Protein drinks and make sure they are quite thick fluids such as vitamized pumpkin Soup made with sweet potato perhaps, or even a minestrone Soup blended, where the meat becomes a puree, which meets the Fluid criteria.

If you also vary the flavours within the fluid phase it does become easier. But just drink up to control the hunger. Once you satrteating solid food, this will help control the hunger a lot more due to the impact on the receptor sites.

Details can be found at http://lapbanddiet.com.au/fluids-post-surgery-diet/

Good luck

I'm now on my fourth day post-surgery. I've been trying to get up to my doctor's recommendation of drinking 64 oz.a day; I managed to get to it last night and today at noon, I'm at about 25 oz.

The last day or two, I feel like I'm Constanza's mother in Seinfeld, "I'm hungry, George!" But even three teaspoons of Greek yogurt made me have a PB; swallowing liquids makes me feel stuck. I know, I know, drink it slower and I'm still on a learning curve. I can think of mushy things to eat but if I can't handle yogurt, perhaps I'm not ready. Last night I had several moments of feeling stuck.

My nutritionist said that I'd be ready for scrambled eggs by the weekend (surgery was on Monday). I don't feel that way. I'm a little afraid to even try. Meanwhile my stomach is gurgling and gurgling. So far today, I've had the liquids (mostly Water and decaffeinated tea), one teaspoon of Greek yogurt and a sugar free Jello.

When I had surgery, my band was too tight. So I had my first "unfill" at the hospital where she removed 3 cc. I also had a big hiatal hernia repair and I suspect that's also a reason for my pain.

Any ideas? Otherwise, I feel good. I will say that I'm not hungry 24/7 -- just at various times, but oh, it's so intense.

I'm now on my fourth day post-surgery. I've been trying to get up to my doctor's recommendation of drinking 64 oz.a day; I managed to get to it last night and today at noon, I'm at about 25 oz. The last day or two, I feel like I'm Constanza's mother in Seinfeld, "I'm hungry, George!" But even three teaspoons of Greek yogurt made me have a PB; swallowing liquids makes me feel stuck. I know, I know, drink it slower and I'm still on a learning curve. I can think of mushy things to eat but if I can't handle yogurt, perhaps I'm not ready. Last night I had several moments of feeling stuck. My nutritionist said that I'd be ready for scrambled eggs by the weekend (surgery was on Monday). I don't feel that way. I'm a little afraid to even try. Meanwhile my stomach is gurgling and gurgling. So far today, I've had the liquids (mostly Water and decaffeinated tea), one teaspoon of Greek yogurt and a sugar free Jello. When I had surgery, my band was too tight. So I had my first "unfill" at the hospital where she removed 3 cc. I also had a big hiatal hernia repair and I suspect that's also a reason for my pain. Any ideas? Otherwise, I feel good. I will say that I'm not hungry 24/7 -- just at various times, but oh, it's so intense.

If you're ready for scrambled eggs fine, if not, stick to liquids. Like you, I had a very large hiatel hernia. I had to have all of my fluids removed on day 4 too. The swelling went down after that and I was able to move into the food stages. Greek yogurt is a little thick still. Can you thin it?

I'm on day 3 post op. I can consume liquids, Water, diluted juice. I purchased some Unjury Protein supplements which are excellent. www.Unjury.com So im getting in my protein via liquid. I'm not hungry at all. Not sure if liquid is in my band or not. I don't know what the restriction feels like yet. I just know that I'm not really hungry right now. I have a lot of gas movement still and I'm guessing it's because I need to take in a little more substantial liquid such as pureed stuff.

It is interesting that you note "note sure what the restriction feels like". Regardless of whether you have Fluid in your band or not, it is exciting to see that the Lap Band has already kicked and begun to work for you because you are not really feeling hungry. The reason for this is that the Lap Band itself and swelling that may have occurred at surgery is placing a nice amount of pressure onto the receptor sites that tricks your brain into feeling satisfied for a longer period of time. Exciting stuff. try and keep this in mind, as long term when the adjustments begin, you are seeking to feel this level of satisfaction and disinterest in eating after a meal.

If you need further explanation on how the Lap band works, take a look at http://lapbanddiet.com.au/lap-band-surgery-how-the-band-works/

Also you can take a look at the 5th video clip at http://lapbanddiet.com.au/fluids-post-surgery-diet/ where I discuss managing hunger levels during the Fluid phase

Good luck

Helen Bauzon

Dietitian

It is interesting that you note "note sure what the restriction feels like". Regardless of whether you have Fluid in your band or not, it is exciting to see that the Lap Band has already kicked and begun to work for you because you are not really feeling hungry. The reason for this is that the Lap Band itself and swelling that may have occurred at surgery is placing a nice amount of pressure onto the receptor sites that tricks your brain into feeling satisfied for a longer period of time.

Good luck

Helen Bauzon

Dietitian

Thanks Helen. I'm pretty sure it's the swelling as well. I'm just glad it's working. I'm going to treat my band like I still treat my daughter. Like a new born baby. Lol! Don't want to start any bad habits with it. I'm going to make this tool work for me.

I am in the same place. I had surgery on the 22nd. At first I could only eat a few bites at a time, now I have to make sure I weigh all my food and measure so I don't eat more than I should. I religiously use My Fitness Pal which shows me exactly where my calories are coming from ( Protein, carb, or fat) & it shows me patterns so I can change them quickly if needed or let's me know what I'm doing great. My 1st period is just days away and my cravings are driving me crazy!!!!! I started only being able to eat 1/4 to 1/2 cup food max, but over last 5 weeks has gradually gone up an extra 1/4 cup to 3/4 total on certain times but not on regular basis.

I do ok during the day but once that clock hits 8:00 pm I get crazy cravings and find myself snacking at this time. I drink hot tea, Water, try to keep hands busy but nothing seems to help. I have set aside calories from the day for use at this time so I don't go over but know it is a HORRIBLE pattern to set up.

Have first fill on March 11th, anticipating some relief, hopefully the monthly passing will help as well. Your not alone. Hang in there.

I would love any My Fitness Pal buddies, my username is Rockagal. Thanks

Edited by RockinGal