Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was sleeved on 1/27 and my surgeon told me I could have anything that would go thru a straw and I chose liquified mashed potatoes last night. Today I am in a lot more pain and my belly is huge! Has this happened to anyone and do you think I caused damage to my sleeve!

Edited by stephg

Was sleeved on 1/27 and my surgeon told me I could have anything that would go thru a straw and I chose liquified mashed potatoes last night. Today I am in a lot more pain and my belly is huge! Has this happened to anyone and do you think I caused damage to my sleeve!

I have heard from others that sleeves often don't like potatoes (especially at first). I tried a blended light Healthy Choice potato Soup once and it hurt my stomach. I haven't tried it since.

Do you know if there is anything I can do to ease it? I'm just afraid I caused some type of damage?!?!?

Did your surgeon mean you can have anything that naturally fits thru a straw or to make it fit thru a straw? Your stomach is still healing. I was on liquids for 2 weeks after surgery. Every surgeon has their own protocols but your stomach is still not ready to digest the same way as before surgery. Potatoes might be a little too heavy for you right now. You should call you surgeon if your stomach doesn't go down within the next day.

Edited by L-in-NJ

You might try some Gas-X strips. Definitely call your surgeon, even the on-call today. I'm preop. And, my surgeon sent me home with a huge binder of what's going to happen before surgery and after, the diet before him the diet after. Did you get anything like that? Maybe they do have it spelled out in detail in writing, whereas the doctor just told you something simple verbally. Hang in there.

I have been doing the gas x. His exact words were "I don't care if it's spaghetti sauce as long as it fits thru the straw".... either way I know it will be quite some time before I do potatoes again. I'm going to just kind of rest today and if it doesn't go down by tomorrow I will call somebody. It doesn't hurt is all at all as long as I'm still?

I have been doing the gas x. His exact words were "I don't care if it's spaghetti sauce as long as it fits thru the straw".... either way I know it will be quite some time before I do potatoes again. I'm going to just kind of rest today and if it doesn't go down by tomorrow I will call somebody. It doesn't hurt is all at all as long as I'm still?

I was sleeved the 27th as well. Go back to liquids you are not ready yet. I am on clears for 2 wks until 2/10 and then I have a full soft food meal plan for 2 wks then on to reg foods. Message me and we'll talk I have a whole list of foods etc portion sizes etc. Don't use a straw. The gas ex is not going to work for this your are bringing in too much air with the food so quickly.

I agree with Alexis don't use a straw the air is just as much a culprit as the food. I think you might want to dial back to liquids in the first week, give yourself some more time to heal. sugar free Popsicles are really helpful and perhaps some broth. Stay encouraged you can do this. Contact you doctor if you're still not feeling right soon. Oh and try to walk a bit this helps me with the gas issue.

SP

We were also told no straws. I would really take it easy on liquids a few days and "rest". We were told at 3 weeks we could have mushies, and to add Protein Powder if it was mashed potatoes. I have found that I am not interested in the puddings and mashed potatoes I bought. Since we have diabetic issues, I made a decision to keep carbs and sweets out of my life and out of my house because I am so excited to make this new change in my life. Good luck and make wise decisions!!! Hope you feel better soon.

I'm not actually using a straw that was just a term used to describe the consistency. I did call him and he told me to go back on Clear Liquids for a few more days. I feel like I am starving. I have had a hard time from day one for whatever the reason. With a collapsed lung, extreme nausea and pain, I'm wondering if its all going to be worth it! I keep reading where everyone else is doing so well and I just wonder why I am NOT! :/

Edited by stephg

Honestly I think you might be pretty agitated with the stress of it, and please just relax and rest. We were pretty scared, being 65 and 66 with extreme health issues. Drink plenty of broth and use the SF popsicles. They got us through those first few days. I had a piece of mushy chicken at 4 weeks and it got stuck. The pain was horrible. So at 4 weeks I went back on liquids and decided no more crockpot meals because I wanted to eat more because it tasted good. Now at 2 months we just eat light, when we get hungry. You will be fine. And in no time you will feel wonderful and start losing weight. You will be so happy. Best wishes!

Thank you for the words of encouragement! It's probably the nurse in me expecting the worst, I don't know, but I will take a deep breath and calm down. I hope and pray in a few months, my regrets disappear! I have lost 11 pounds in 4 days :)

Thank you for the words of encouragement! It's probably the nurse in me expecting the worst, I don't know, but I will take a deep breath and calm down. I hope and pray in a few months, my regrets disappear! I have lost 11 pounds in 4 days :)

I was sleeved on 7/29/13, I was on clear liquids for 4 weeks, sf popsicles, sweet rewards fudge sicles, sf puddings, broths,water, and shakes. Then wk 5 I was allowed instant potatoes, 1cup chicken broth, 3 Tbs potatoes,sm. amt shredded cheda cheese. Makes good potatoe Soup. Cream Soups.< /p>

LOL! I was terrified, and my husband was worse. He had me go first. It has been 10 times easier than expected. You will not regret it I am sure! Good luck!

Were you prescribed any type of meds for heartburn or acid? Acid can feel like hunger. When I don't take the Prevacid I was prescribed I feel like I'm hungry when I know I'm not. As soon as I take it I'm fine. Best of luck to you and hope you're feeling better soon.