Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

High BMI and banding

My BMI is 61 and I was wondering has anyone here had that high of a BMI and had great success. Looking into self pay and was wondering what to expect. I viewed the thread on losing over 100 pound but what about over 200lbs. is it possible.

I really think you need to consider a different surgery. I've met very very few people with that high of a BMI who have lost 200 pounds with a Band. If you're not comfortable with a malabsorptive procedure, look into the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy. It's a restrictive-only operation, that was originally done as the first step of a DS procedure on very high BMIs like yourself (low op risk). Docs found out that many patients lost enough weight that they never needed the second part of the operation (the intestinal rearrangement). I know quite a few people who have lost over 150 pounds with that op. ObesityHelp has a VSG forum... and check out the www.lapsf.com website. Costs are similar to a Band. Self-pays in the States can be as low as $11,500... although $18,000 is the average. Mexico is about $10-12,000.

Hi,

I am planning on having my surgery done with Dr. Ortiz in Mexico. Heard nothing but great things about him and I also bought his book Lap Band for Life from Amazon.com. It explains everything in there and I know for a fact that all he does is lap bands and have done many surgeries on high BMI patients. My BMI is over 50. You will have to go on a pre-op diet to lose some pounds before your surgery, but from what I have read on his forum lapbandforum.com, it's rough, but worth it if you are serious enough to get banded.

Hope this helps somewhat. Good Luck with whatever you do.

Judy

Hi Dedee, you might want to check out this thread: http://www.lapbandtalk.com/thread-super-sized-t16168.html. I started it a while ago specifically for people with BMIs over 50. Many, many of the people who have tacked onto the thread have 200 lbs or more to lose.

When I was looking into the options, most people I saw getting the band were getting banded at my GOAL weight. Or had maybe 60 lbs to lose. I couldn't find many people at all with 200lbs + to lose, so I began to think - maybe it can't be done with the band. I posted on another board, asking specifically for people who had to lose 150+ lbs, and got SO MANY positive responses I couldn't believe it.

I would not say you need to consider another surgery. I would say you need to be honest about why you are overweight, and balance that against what the band will, and will not, do for you.

BTW, I've been baded for about a year and have lost... going on 140 lbs. A lot of this was in my first 6 months, and the loss has definitely slowed down and I am currently plateaued. However, I have no dounbt that I will meet my goals. I just understand that *I* need to meet my goals, and not wait for the band to meet them for me.

I am 6'1, weigh around 385, large frame. My BMI is 50 or so. Been heavy all my life and moreso since about six years ago, starting after my first pituitary surgery, and then hysterectomy.

I have lymphedema in my legs, so that is a big part of it I guess.

I figured I would chime in on this thread. I have never actually posted my stats on here before and felt now was a good time because I too was like you looking for People with High BMI's and a Large Amount of Weight to lose. I also need to update my ticker.

I was banded in July 2006, My weight was 566 lbs and I had a BMI of 103, I have since lost 110 lbs and I have yet to have a fill. My loss has slowed because of no fill, but I am going to go get a fill on April 2nd to kick start my losing again. The band is a tool and you have to work it and be willing to do the work and You can meet your goals. I chose the Lap Band because I was not comfortable with all the other types of WLS and In my 3 years of research on the Lap Band before I had it, I found many people with High BMI's and who had over 150 lbs to lose. I have even had several who had as much or more then me to lose and they have lost it.

I hope this helps. Do what you feel is best for you.

Wow! VelvetKiss, you are an inspiration for sure to us higher BMI people that want or are looking to be banded. That's amazing that you never had a fill yet.

Best wishes and good luck to you after your fill. I so hope that when I am banded, I will drop weight as well as you have without needing a fill too soon.

If you don't mind, could I give you my email address and we can keep in touch? Maybe you could help me figure out how to and when to eat?

Peace,

Judy

Dedee~

I'm 52 years young, 5'2" preop weight was 331 and my BMI was 61. I too am a self pay. I chose the band: 1)wanted restriction not malabsorbtion, 2)cost-band was $16,500 vs $24.500 for the more readical surgery and

3) in case something goes wrong,,its possible to have the band removed. Good luck in whatever you choose is right for YOU!

Banded-1/29/07

Dr. Ken Cleveland-CMMC-Jackson, MS

331/298/150

no fill todate

My BMI is 61 and I was wondering has anyone here had that high of a BMI and had great success. Looking into self pay and was wondering what to expect. I viewed the thread on losing over 100 pound but what about over 200lbs. is it possible.

Hi Dedee:

We have the same BMI!!! Dr. K told me he has banded individuals with high BMI's. Just need to stick to his pre-op detox diet to shrink the liver so he can reach that sweet spot and get the band in.

I have over 200 to lose. I expect to go one month with only fluids, anticipate losing about 30 pounds that way. That will make me lighter on my feet. I have issues with my tiny little ankles bearing weight on them hurts.

I personally have not met someone who has lost over 200 with the lap band. I plan to be the first one. (would that be a great gift to yourself?) smiling!!!

Let's keep in touch. I'm 3 weeks from my surgery.

Best to you. Keep me posted

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 3 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

3. NickelChip

I think it's important to remember that the weight charts and BMI ranges were developed a very long time ago and only intended to be applied to people who have never been overweight or obese. Those numbers aren't for us. When you are larger, especially for a long time, your body develops extra bone to support the weight. Your organs get a little bigger to handle the extra mass. Your entire infrastructure increases so you can support and function with the extra weight. That doesn't all go away just because you burn off the excess fat. If you still had a pair of jeans from your skinniest point in life and then lost weight to get to the exact number on the scale you were when those jeans fit you, chances are they would be a little baggy now because you would actually be thinner than you were, even though the scale and the BMI chart disagree. When in doubt, listen to the jeans, not the scale!

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches