Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Participation In Support Groups Proven To Improve Long-term Outcomes

We have always been told that attending support groups can make a positive difference for us as bariatric patients, but finding hard data to support that assumption has been a challenge. Until now! In 2013, BSCI partnered with Stanford University’s research team and the results in many areas proved to be quite remarkable. Identifying a group of ‘highly successful’ long term patients and comparing their behaviors to a ‘not highly successful’ group, we learned, among other things, that successful patients attend support groups THREE times more often than the non successful patients.

As a weight loss surgery patient from 1995, I often wonder how I would be doing if I were not involved in the bariatric community each day. Would I still be in the ‘successful group’ or would I be struggling. Would I want to go to support groups to ‘stay on track’ or reach out to a support group to help me get back on track? I don’t know but the one thing I do know for sure is that my bariatric connections provide me not only a network of supporters, but a point of accountability as well.

Support groups can be fun, informational, educational and motivational. Support Groups are designed for patients and our voice about helpful elements, topics and structure is both needed and welcomed.

To that end we have re-launched our unprecedented survey on bariatric support groups. Please take a moment to tell us about your experience in support groups. Why do you go when you go? Why don’t you when you don’t? What are the most important elements a quality support group should include? Who should lead the group?

Those who take the survey will receive our “Top 5 Things Every Bariatric Patient Should Know About Support Groups.” Take the Survey here and watch for the results soon.

i dont have a support group to go to here.....i wish i did, truly

so i use the next best thing.......this forum.....

The closest support group is a 40 minute drive. I just don't have time to drive to that. I use BariatricPal as a support group. I also have a couple of other WLS people in my life, and I have leaned on them plenty. If there was a local support group, I certainly would get out to one.

The survey link takes you to BSC but when you click the Continue button you get a server error.

I am so lucky to have a support group through my surgeon's office. It's run by the head of the bariatrics program of the hospital where I had surgery and my surgeon's NUT. It's a drive to get there but so worth it. i learn something new every time.

i dont have a support group to go to here.....i wish i did, truly

so i use the next best thing.......this forum.....

Thanks Carolina. Bariatric Pal is a great place to be for sure.

Wonderful info and support. Additionally we host 3 free telephonic groups

each month. There is always a topic, a facilitator and insightful and helpful discussions. Patients from all over the country! Love to have you join us. Dates and Times here:

BSCI Telephonic Support Groups

The survey link takes you to BSC but when you click the Continue button you get a server error.

HI DL.

Thanks for this report - We have identified the error and corrected it - please do take a moment to offer your input in the survey. Thanks for reading!

The closest support group is a 40 minute drive. I just don't have time to drive to that. I use BariatricPal as a support group. I also have a couple of other WLS people in my life, and I have leaned on them plenty. If there was a local support group, I certainly would get out to one.

Hi JD,

Great that you have found BariatricPal. A great place to be. Additionally, we offer 3 free telephonic support groups each month. Always a topic and a facilitator - wonderful discussions with patients all over the country. More info at this link: BSCI Telephonic Support Groups

Hi JD, Great that you have found BariatricPal. A great place to be. Additionally, we offer 3 free telephonic support groups each month. Always a topic and a facilitator - wonderful discussions with patients all over the country. More info at this link: BSCI Telephonic Support Groups

would love a telephone support group for vets. My nearby in-person support groups are not that great.

Lynda

My local support group meetings are a great way to meet up with other people who are either planning WLS or have been through it. I go often. ( work schedule doesn't always allow )

Usually its a NUT leading the discussions, talking about various topics related to food...as would be expected I suppose. Our meetings involve all types of WLS. Can be very interesting.

Another thing I do occasionally is go to the PRE-op seminars....people just thinking about having the surgery. I sit in the back during the seminar....just watching and listening. Thinking that was me, back then. And I will stick around after the surgeon gets done with his presentation....just to chat. Seems like a lot of people enjoy talking to "alumni".

I attend a support group twice a month and it is well worth the time. There are experts there that have had the band or sleeve for awhile and are more than willing to share their experiences. I have found it invaluable in regard to knowing that I'm not alone or what I'm experiencing is normal. Good tips too. And the leader of the group is a patient as well and very helpful. It is so helpful to stay on track.

This is what I have found also guys with my clinic. People would like to attend support group meeting but find it difficult due to travel, work and family commitments. So this is why I am about to start online support groups. Would you find this helpful to have live interaction with other banded individuals accompanied with education and accountability ?