Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

best haircut when your hair falls out?

Well, despite getting in all my Protein, I've got major Hair loss. I do have thick hair so it is not as noticeable (yet) but I've lost half my hair at least. I'm thinking of cutting it short. What did you guys do for haircuts when your hair fell out?

Should I leave it shoulder length and let the new hair just grow in and keep layers? Do a pixie cut?

I am in week five now and took a preemptive strike against hair loss. When I saw Rita Moreno's hair at the 2014 SAG Awards, I knew that would be the cut for me. It is a multi-layered chop cut, so hair falling out and growing in at an unpredictable rate might not look as funky as it would if I do nothing.

My hair dresser who did the cut agreed that it would be suitable for this purpose, and she has done the same or similar cut for many cancer survivors. Since my hair has always been bountifully thick, I am hoping for the best. Worst case scenario - I will buy a wig for going out of the house.

I would keep it shoulder length while the new hair grows in with layers for movement but, I've always been partial to medium/long hair. ;) I got a pixie cut in my 20's and I vowed no short hair EVER again. I just feel more feminine and lady like with longer hair.

My hair was just at my shoulders. Thought it was short enuf to not lose as much. I was wrong..it was coming out fast. I ended up chopping it short! Its to my ears now.

It really shows how much I've lost too.

I went to a chin length layered cut. By the way it didn't slow my hair loss rate, it just meant the hair that fell out wasn't so long. Thank goodness my Hair loss rate is back to normal. I have started growing it back out.

Edited by reading mom

Don't do anything unless you have to do it. It's doubtful you'll need to get a new cut, but if you do it will depend on your Hair loss pattern. Wait it out.. I swore up and down I was going bald, but no one ever noticed.. Except for the hair balls in the trash

i keep my hair short so when it starts falling out, I'll just get it cut shorter!!! Already told my friends that if I lose too much, I'll buzz my head. My hair is thin now so can't imagine it much thinner!!!

Ms AntiBand is right - wait and see what happens. I used Toppick, keratin hair fibres that's a powder you puff in the roots that fill in the gaps where the hair is thin. It saved my life!

I lost half my hair but I had a lot to begin with. But even so, I eventually got more layers put in and cut it slightly shorter - but nothing drastic and I was the only one to notice what was happening. Now 9 months out and hair is coming back in with a vengeance!

Good luck!

Edited by Indigo1991

Thanks everyone, makes me feel better. Guess I'll just wait it out. I've heard about the Toppick, so I'll have a back up plan if the top gets too thin. I doubt it will get bad enough for a wig, but who knows. When I lost a ton of weight 10+ years ago I lost a lot of hair, too, but no one noticed but me back then.

I'm sporting shorter 'do - my hair was shoulder-length when I had surgery and 5-6 weeks post surgery I had my hair cut shorter because I knew that my hair was likely to fall out (I'd experienced this a few years ago after a traumatic injury and surgery). I'm older, and also getting tired of the expense and time of coloring my hair after years of vanity. My hairdresser helped me choose a great cut that he's used with clients who have lost their hair, and he's helping it along through the color grow out.

Funny thing - I have received so many compliments on the flattering cut and color deal he's got going on on top of my head!

That's what I am doing with my adjustment process, too......embracing the gray.