Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling all sushi lovers!

I love love LOOOOOVE sushi! Anyone post-op try eating sushi? Is it tolerable? I also have a great love for Indian Food! Sorry.. don't mind me, I am on my pre-op and thinking of FOOD!

Yes! I LOVE sushi! I waited till about 7 months to try it and I can't eat in properly in the way you eat the whole thing at once. I do pick some of the rice off but its a total go for me! I am 11 months out and we just had the most amazing sushi tasting at the Ritz Carlton in Grand Cayman.

Yes, you will be able to eat it but you will just need to make the better choices of sushi!

Best luck to you.

For me, I'll end up getting sashimi instead of sushi rolls when I have a sushi fix.

For my Indian fix, we normally get take out, so I plan on making either cauliflower rice or serving the curries over quinoa. And will probably go easy on the Naan until I'm farther post-op.

http://ohmyveggies.com/how-to-make-cauliflower-rice/

I'm 8 weeks post-op, and I tried a sample of sushi, so a couple of regular pieces without issue. I had rice alone on another occasion, and it was too filling, but the rice around the two pieces of sushi I ate sat fine. Be careful overdoing it because (1) accidentally overfilling on rice hurts as it seems to swell, and (2) rice for some can wake up that carb monster and complicate your continued journey.

Recently, I ordered two rolls made without rice, and I split the order with my husband. I've heard you can order rice-less rolls wrapped in cucumber or soy paper, but this was my first time to order them like this, and I wanted to taste of the seaweed. They also sat fine, and they had the flavor I was looking for. This particular restaurant didn't bulk the roll up to replace the rice, so it was a pretty pricey indulgence. Not too much food there. I asked the sushi chef at my local grocer of they would make a rice-less roll for me (to get that cost down), but they wouldn't. Going to try a couple more stores before paying restaurant prices again.

(Here's a picture of my rice-less sushi.)

post-165959-0-36150400-1391057254_thumb.jpg

Edited by VSG AJH

I'm 8 weeks post-op, and I tried a sample of sushi, so a couple of regular pieces without issue. I had rice alone on another occasion, and it was too filling, but the rice around the two pieces of sushi I ate sat fine. Be careful overdoing it because (1) accidentally overfilling on rice hurts as it seems to swell, and (2) rice for some can wake up that carb monster and complicate your continued journey.

Recently, I ordered two rolls made without rice, and I split the order with my husband. I've heard you can order rice-less rolls wrapped in cucumber or soy paper, but this was my first time to order them like this, and I wanted to taste of the seaweed. They also sat fine, and they had the flavor I was looking for. This particular restaurant didn't bulk the roll up to replace the rice, so it was a pretty pricey indulgence. Not too much food there. I asked the sushi chef at my local grocer of they would make a rice-less roll for me (to get that cost down), but they wouldn't. Going to try a couple more stores before paying restaurant prices again.

(Here's a picture of my rice-less sushi.)

attachicon.gif:

lOOks Yummy! Do you have Wegman's in TX?

lOOks Yummy! Do you have Wegman's in TX?

I don't know of a Wegman's. I asked at Market Street, and will check a couple of specialty markets in the area.

I would die without my Wegman's! Best grocer in the world I tell you! They will make the sushi to order. I can't wait to have it again.

That riceless sushi looked incredeble!

That riceless sushi looked incredeble!

It was good! All the flavors I wanted without all the painful rice swelling.

Edited by VSG AJH

I am almost 8 weeks post-op and had sashimi about 5 weeks out. I just went slow and didn't overdo it and it was probably one of the best meals I have had. I am not probably going to do sushi, just because I am going to stay away from rice from now on, but sashimi is such a wonderful alternative for me.