Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op today -Drama in the waiting room!

Lol! Wow... sounds like her band interpretation was headed straight to Ratchetsville. Glad you got out of there. I could imagine the look on the other lady's face. I have a coworker that has been in my ear since day one about why I chose lap band over bypass (cause she did bypass). Like Starfish, I explained how I didn't want my stomach disected like a science project & that, if needed, it was reversible/ could be taken out. You know she went on this rave of "why wouldn't you want something permanent? If you take it off you'll just end up the same size you are now." O_o I had to quickly remember I was at work... The shade of it all!

Wow!! I thought it was just me. I went in for my consultation . I was filling out paperwork and out the blue this lady as me what surgery I was getting. I said the band.. She said how were you able to get that. They won't do it on me... (Blank stare) I was really throwed off!!! She just kept talking and u kept ignoring.. People have a lot of nerve. If I invite the conversation that is one thing!!! Geez..!! Im approved but have sleep study and pulmonary function left.. The sleep study has been crazy getting approved... Hopefully March surgery date. Fingers crossed !

I really wonder what these nosy people would say if it was a sex change operation ;). That would be super super personal, shock them and maybe make them feel uncomfortable. Or if your at your surgeons office (not the hospital) that would totally confuse them. Probably keep them from asking anything else.

Wow. Some people's kids.

I'm on the floor over here!!! SweetGeorgiaT, Kimk1999. & Kandy12!!! Ratchetsville!! I'm done!! Lmbo!!!

As far as my immediate friends and family I've only told my husband and 2 BFF's. Everyone at Work thinks I'm having Hernia surgery. I didn't want to have to explain my need or resonation on why I'm having WLS. I'm still taken aback that even in the doctors office people would be so critical of the choice you made. This isn't a competition.

Example, I have not told my mom because she's super critical. But she tells me to lose weight all the time. Now that I'm on my Pre-op diet, she's all like "That's all you're eating!? " my only reply cuz its my mom is "Yes ma'am. " deep down I want to say "But you called me fat!! ".

So I decided to let everyone see the transformation overtime. Don't need any shade throwing.

Starfish n coffee

Do it your way. Tell whomever you want. Get your support from the people who will truly have your back and let everyone else just bask in the glory of your transformation. :D

I'm on the floor over here!!! SweetGeorgiaT, Kimk1999. & Kandy12!!! Ratchetsville!! I'm done!! Lmbo!!!

As far as my immediate friends and family I've only told my husband and 2 BFF's. Everyone at Work thinks I'm having Hernia surgery. I didn't want to have to explain my need or resonation on why I'm having WLS. I'm still taken aback that even in the doctors office people would be so critical of the choice you made. This isn't a competition.

Example, I have not told my mom because she's super critical. But she tells me to lose weight all the time. Now that I'm on my Pre-op diet, she's all like "That's all you're eating!? " my only reply cuz its my mom is "Yes ma'am. " deep down I want to say "But you called me fat!! ".

So I decided to let everyone see the transformation overtime. Don't need any shade throwing.

Starfish n coffee

I had my surgery 2 days ago, and the only one who knows is my husband. I haven't decided if and when I'll tell anyone else. It's been hard pretending everything is fine with my family, but I don't need my mom worrying and giving me her opinion.

Cat225. You do what's comfortable for you. You know you're family. You know what the outcome will be if you tell. I personally will never tell more than those that I have. I know the backlash.

Oddly enough I wish I would of had entertaining waiting room drama, but I didn't! There was one other (much older) lady in there, she asked me very nicely what I was having done because I was so young, and I told her lap band. Apparently the woman's daughter also had it done and over a period of 3-4 years, she had managed to lose 300+ pounds off of it. It was very encouraging to meet a stranger in the waiting room that was as supportive as she was to me.

Same with all the doctors/nurses/people that were bringing me to the operating room. They all were being very supportive and just in general, amazingly nice all around.

I think pretty much everyone I know does know about the surgery at this point. It doesn't bother me, everyones known I've struggled with my weight since I was little. I have not yet met one person that has said anything bad about it, or made any kind of rude comments on it. I'm lucky, I suppose.

Too funny! Who would take advice from someone who has had mediocre results from the band?

Gosh Pretty Thick1, I don't think a loss of 74 pounds is mediocre. Don't jump to conclusions too fast. Are you doing that well? Slow loss is best as it stays off, and as years go by that will be important! Bless you young banders and I wish you good health. :rolleyes:

Gosh Pretty Thick1, I don't think a loss of 74 pounds is mediocre. Don't jump to conclusions too fast. Are you doing that well? Slow loss is best as it stays off, and as years go by that will be important! Bless you young banders and I wish you good health. :rolleyes:

Uh oh....no shade throwing. That was a mean little jab. I don't think pretty thick 1 meant it that way. What she was trying to say was is that someone who has had mediocre weight loss results in a 2 year period of time really doesn't have room to give advice. And considering how rude she was to me in the waiting room I concur with Pretty thick 1's statement. And to answer the question for pretty thick 1, has she done well........she has done VERY WELL.