Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery in 6 days! Help me with my post-op grocery list!

Hello All:

I need to hit the grocery store this weekend. I need some ideas of what to buy forpost-op. Also anything you think I may need for my 2 nights stay in the hospital. Thanks in advance.

Hi there! I've heard you need eye mask and ear plugs to be able to sleep in hospital! I'm defs planning to take these in next week.

make sure you have a pillow for your tummy at home...it makes it easier if you have to cough and stuff...holding the pillow keeps you "in tact"...

you are going to be on liquids, Protein shakes, some low sodium chicken broth, yogurt (no fruit), Decaf tea or coffee,

yeah, the hospital is not a good place to rest (lol)...but they pump you full of meds, so that will help ;)

Good luck and congrats!

Edited by BigGirlPanties

I went out and bought all kinds of sugar free Jello , ice pops, low sodium broth and stage one baby food for the pureed stage. I found it was such a waste of money. When I got home from the hospital it took all I had just to get my Protein shake and fluids in. The hospital was a little loud but honestly it didn't bother me one bit. I was so drugged up someone could play the drums right next to my bed and I wouldn't have cared one bit. I also took a book, my cell phone and some crossword puzzles. I didn't need them at all. Do take a good pair of soled slippers with you. That's the one thing I forgot and I wished I had brought. I didn't realize they would have me up and walking every 2-3 hours and walking the halls in the hospital socks didn't make me feel very protected from icky stuff that could have been on the floor. A pillow for on the ride home would have been great also.

I went out and bought all kinds of sugar free Jello , ice pops, low sodium broth and stage one baby food for the pureed stage. I found it was such a waste of money. When I got home from the hospital it took all I had just to get my Protein shake and fluids in. The hospital was a little loud but honestly it didn't bother me one bit. I was so drugged up someone could play the drums right next to my bed and I wouldn't have cared one bit. I also took a book, my cell phone and some crossword puzzles. I didn't need them at all. Do take a good pair of soled slippers with you. That's the one thing I forgot and I wished I had brought. I didn't realize they would have me up and walking every 2-3 hours and walking the halls in the hospital socks didn't make me feel very protected from icky stuff that could have been on the floor. A pillow for on the ride home would have been great also.

When did you advance to full liquids? What did you tolerate?

Dear Sassy

My Sleeve is on the 4th, so I will wish you luck now.. I did some shopping too.. I got Carnation "no sugar" instant Breakfast. Low Sodium Soup. sugar free Jello.... ZERO power aid...LIKE GATOR AID..only no Cal.....I also got sugar free pudding... I think I would enjoy "sugar free ice pop"... not sure when we can start reg food...

Best of luck.... JewelJ

All my tummy really tolerated were the sugar free Popsicles. They were my lifeline in that first week, well first few weeks due to the difficulty in consuming Water or liquids period.

That is great! We will have to follow each others progress. Please add me to your friends list! I have to do some shopping this weekend. Are you nervous at all? How is your pre op diet going? I am doing fair... definitely had a few slip ups. I still lsot six lbs since Friday so I am happy with that.

Dear Sassy

My Sleeve is on the 4th, so I will wish you luck now.. I did some shopping too.. I got Carnation "no sugar" instant Breakfast. Low Sodium Soup. sugar free Jello.... ZERO power aid...LIKE GATOR AID..only no Cal.....I also got sugar free pudding... I think I would enjoy "sugar free ice pop"... not sure when we can start reg food...

Best of luck.... JewelJ

When did you advance to full liquids? What did you tolerate?

I was on clear the first week then pureed for 4wks and soft for another 4wks... the first week crystal light was my best friend!! I cant do plain Water and I didn't like the taste of the Protein or broth. Jello was also really good. when I went to pureed foods I did well with greek yogurt, pureed sweet potatoes, nonfat milk, cottage cheese and my Protein shakes. I would add a new food every other day or so. Everyone is different after surgery, you really cant go on others experience with foods. As long as you try what your nutritionist says your body will let you know rather quickly what you can and can't tolerate.

All my tummy really tolerated were the sugar free Popsicles. They were my lifeline in that first week, well first few weeks due to the difficulty in consuming Water or liquids period.

Hi Curvy:

They told us we may not be able to tolerate very cold or very hot liquids immediately post op. I will ask if it would be contraindicated. P.S. I stumbled upon your profile the other night... Amazing transformation!! I love this site!! Thanks

Decaf Mint tea to calm the tummy

Poweraide Zero to keep up your body in balance (WalMart, Target, etc)

liquid Power Protein (24 per carton - I liked the chocolate) from costco (if you are a member) with 30 grams of protien per box

Isopure 40 gram Protein from a Vitamin store like GNC (these do not taste great but they were not thick so I could choke them down)

A shot glass (set a timer and ensure you are emptying that shot glass every 15 minutes)

Drink liquids at room tempurature or luke warm. Cold drinks made my stomach cramp.

Best wishes and keep us in the loop. PS - there is an entire subject on this topic in this forum, be sure to get more tips from there.

That is great! We will have to follow each others progress. Please add me to your friends list! I have to do some shopping this weekend. Are you nervous at all? How is your pre op diet going? I am doing fair... definitely had a few slip ups. I still lsot six lbs since Friday so I am happy with that.

Dear Sassy

Best of luck.... JewelJ

yES i'm nervous...yes I have had some slip ups and have lost 5lbs... I do get up and drink down a 20oz of Water before the Protein shake in the morning.. all at once... so I think that helps full me in the morning.... but I have been hitting some raw carrots at night....I want to chew something so bad...... We shall keep each other posted... Joy will be back on soon... she was just done this monday... be well. JewelJ

This is great info for all of us. I went out and bought an eye mask but not ear plugs. I think I will have to get them. I aslo bought lots of sugar free Jello and pudding, sugar free drinks, and stage one baby food. I didn't buy a ton but just enough to get me thru a week. I think we will all be just fine.

I was also told to bring a comfy pair of PJ's, slippers and a robe. No one wants to see this in a hospital gown :( I also plan on bring a good book, a laptop, and my cell phone. I hope I dont need it but just in case. We have a 3 day stay. Doc's orders. No one goes home early. But I could use the rest from the family :)

This is great info for all of us. I went out and bought an eye mask but not ear plugs. I think I will have to get them. I aslo bought lots of sugar free Jello and pudding, sugar free drinks, and stage one baby food. I didn't buy a ton but just enough to get me thru a week. I think we will all be just fine.

I was also told to bring a comfy pair of PJ's, slippers and a robe. No one wants to see this in a hospital gown :( I also plan on bring a good book, a laptop, and my cell phone. I hope I dont need it but just in case. We have a 3 day stay. Doc's orders. No one goes home early. But I could use the rest from the family :)

Totally!!! It is going to be like a vacation for me. I want to sleep in!