Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am now down 50 pounds after 4 years. However, the acid reflux comes and goes. In a bad bout of it coming I have acid reflux 7-10 times in one night. This lasts anywhere from 1-3 weeks. I do not eat after 5 pm. I do not lie down until after 11 pm. I am on Prilosec, and Carafate liquid. I take 2-4 apple cedar tablets a day. My physician keeps trying but nothing is working. Help!

I am sorry you are having acid reflux. I have no suggestions. I just wanted to wish you luck and hope you find relief soon.

Thank you though!

Same here especially since your doctor is trying. I hope he/she can find a solution. Best wishes

Edited by Lady VS

I have been banded 2 1/2 years - lost over 120 pounds with 15 more to go...that all being said in November I started that nasty acid reflux mess. I have been one miserable puppy. My doctor said I needed to have some Fluid removed from my band..in fact, he did a barium swallow and showed me where my band has been too tight for a while and now I have a bubble on the side of my pouch. NO, I did not want any Fluid removed..I didn't want to gain, but I need to get some sleep and that darn reflux wasn't going to let that happen. I was taking Prilosec twice a day and Nexium once a day. I have fluid removed on Friday, take nothing and not had any reflux. Talk to your Doctor...reflux can be dangerous..follow what he says even if it means having a slight unfill. Good luck, thoughts and prayers with you because I really know how you feel!!!!!

Hot Tea before you eat. At night before bed. Had same problem, no more. Hope this works for you.

Thanks for the good advice! I will definitely try the tea. I did have my .3 cc fill removed once, but still had the reflux start about a year after that! Hopefully, this will pass. Thanks again.

I will tell you waht works for me when I have reflux.Tums. I saw a show on "Fox and Friends" on Sunday where Dr Zamati(sp) said the best thing to use would be TUMS! It works best for me. Best wishes, Karen..aka.kll724

If you want to try something natural, a small dab of peppermint oil works wonders on reflux. Where I live there is an Herb and Spice Shop that carry's it in a small bottle that only releases micro-drops. The particular product I use is made by Natures Sunshine and is Stock # 1706-8. From what I understand any peppermint oil will work, just be sure to use very little. Within 5 minutes my reflux is gone. Good luck!

Edited by bamagurl

Missy, are you able to slightly elevate the head of your bed? Not with pillows, but the actual bed. That is supposed to help with reflux. We have an ergo-pedic adjustable bed, so I just press the button when I'm having issues. But you can do it with pieces of wood cut to the right thickness. Just a suggestion..... I also saw a post on this site from someone who swears by a particular probiotic. It's made by Metagenics. I think it's called Ultraflora.

Interesting about the peppermint oil. I've had issues with reflux the past few years, and all the "things to avoid" lists from the doctor include peppermint. Here is a blurb I found online..... But whatever works for someone, great!

Peppermint may increase your chances of heartburn because it relaxes the sphincter muscle that lay between the stomach and esophagus. This allows stomach acids to flow back into the esophagus.

I tried all of the above mentioned solutions...raised the head of our bed, Nexium 2X a day, restricted eating and drinking in the evenings, avoided acid producing foods. Nothing helped until my band was totally unfilled.

I understand concerns Bandsters have about restriction levels and gaining weight. I was able to continue to lose even with an unfilled band.

Every one is an individual, and my solutions may not work for others. Removing Fluid does not need to mean weight gain.

Best wishes to feel better...

Ok I have had a busy couple of days trying out things. First the worst night I had before posting here was 10 episodes of acid reflux. The best was 7 episodes. After trying and changing teas, adding tums, and trying to stay pretty elevated before bed, I am down to 1 episode a night! ????????????????????????????????

Thank you everyone for your advice, and for the fact you wanted to help. FYI I ended up using lemon-ginger probiotic tea.

Probiotics are an excellent idea in case the gut balance is off. You may also want to look at food triggers, such as a possible wheat allergy. An increasing number of people are diagnosed with gluten intolerance after undergoing so much pain and suffering -- because the tests are sometimes inaccurate it can be hard to pin down. Even just a small amount of wheat for these people can cause the reflux to start -- a cycle. My husband can't even tolerate barley now. For some it's a certain kind of Cereal, the wrong oatmeal, etc. This may not be you at all but I just thought I'd mention it. So many good suggestions in this thread. I'm glad you are really on this and working with your doctor because it is a such a serious issue. Take good care and don't stop until you're reflux-free!

you might get a upper gi to see why? I am taken pantoprzole once a day, much better then prolsec. I got bad reflux due to a hernia and once that was repaired much better... Get a upper gi to see why, I suffer for a while, thinking I was eating to late etc... and I did show some damage to my esphogus due to acid.. MUCH MUCH better now, I should of had the upper gi sooner then I did..

I am now down 50 pounds after 4 years. However, the acid reflux comes and goes. In a bad bout of it coming I have acid reflux 7-10 times in one night. This lasts anywhere from 1-3 weeks. I do not eat after 5 pm. I do not lie down until after 11 pm. I am on Prilosec, and Carafate liquid. I take 2-4 apple cedar tablets a day. My physician keeps trying but nothing is working. Help!

Edited by sapphire12305

I know your sorrow. I had reflux so bad that It kept me up half the night with burning in my throat, coughing, and sometimes it would come out of my nose. Nothing worked for me except to have Fluid removed. I've gained back 15 of the 50 lbs that I had lost. I'm sure that if I get a fill, that horrible acid reflux will return. I hope you fin relief soon.