Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you ever go back to feeling like you did before the surgery?

Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever be able to feel the same way I did before the surgery? I'm currently on week 3 post op and I'm learning Portion Control, I'm just a little concerned that I will forever have the stomach pains every time I eat something new or something that disagrees with my new tummy.

Sorry I'm having a little depression moment :,(

Aww. Sorry that you are feeling that way right now. I am still pre-op but this is one of those things that I have worked at coming to grips with...the whole first few months of mourning eating while babying the sleeve, or dealing with uncomfortable sleeve issues, or having weird sleeve things happen with the wrong foods, of just in general always being aware of the sleeve.

You know as well as I do that everyone says the first few months are the hardest. And then things get better. And then people adjust. And then they are living normally without constant sleeve thoughts. And their skinny!

Look at it this way...you've made it through the surgery without major complications. Big hurdle overcome!! Now it's just wait and heal, wait and heal.

You'll do great! Keep your eye on the prize and know that this time will soon be a memory and you will be living a normal skinny life soon!

Thank you so very much, I feel a little bit lonely going through this, I'm probably one of the few people that haven't told anyone (other than my husband) that I had the surgery, I already see amazing results and I'm super duper happy, but it hasn't been easy, your absolutely right, the no complications so far have been a blessing, I just don't know anyone that has had the surgery so it makes it a bit hard to know what to expect :(

At 3 weeks post op I felt the same way. I'm still really just learning what and how much I can eat and I'm 11 weeks out now. Every week gets a little better. Stick with it and just keep looking at your results as motivation.

Thank you! Glad to hear it gets better :) definitely looking forward to a healthier happier me!!! :)

I was ill for so long and now I feel better then I did before surgery..But you know what I really began to think that it would never ever happen....I still struggle but the benefits of time and experience with this new sleeve is paying off big time...........I want to look back and see how far I have come....

It is going to get like an old hat soon and then it will become automatic and then life will really start to change...You will emerge!!! The real you..So hold on it is going to be a bumpy but satisfying ride.......

I am like you - I only told my husband (not even my kids who are young teens). I also did not know anyone who had wls that is why and how I found this site and would come here almost everyday and soak up everyones advice and experiences. This site is invaluable. I have now lost 90% of my excess weight at just 10 months out. It was easily one of the best decisions I ever made and just wish I had thought of it years and years ago. The years spent living with being obese -just depressing. Believe me it does get easier and you will return to feeling normal or better than before. You will be able to eat just about anything. Just take full advantage of this time to drop the most weight possible. Seeing the pounds disappear are the greatest motivation to keep going. Best of luck to you.

There is definitely a time for adjustment post op, both mental and physical. As you follow your plan and heal your stomach will come to terms with what has happened and you will too. It does get easier, mentally and physically. While you hope to never "feel the same" about food, (because that is what got us into trouble to start with) you do learn to live in your new life. It is different. There is a mental aspect for sure. But as they say, time heals all wounds. Take it easy and give it time. Eventually you will feel better body and soul and realize it was the best decision you ever made. Good luck and keep your chin up!!!

I agree with a lot of post sleevers, at the three week mark I think we all felt some of what your feeling, but I can tell you I have had the picture perfect healing and results, and at almost 9 months out I feel normal again.

I feel so normal that sometimes I worry that I'll gain all the weight back, but then I look at what I am eating and my portions and realize that while I am eating way less and making better choices I feel just as satusfied as I did before the surgery when I would eat. I will admit- I don't diet. I eat what I want, but I eat so much less of anything that at just over 8 months out I am down 107lbs. I went from 255 to 148 size 22 to an 8. I live a normal life, I go out with family and friends, I enjoy good food, just less of it! you'll get there, there are some foods I still have a hard time with but I naturally don't want them because my brain has learned that those things make me feel unwell so I don't crave them. Like Ketchup... I LOVED it before the surgery, and now I don't crave it ever because I know it makes my tummy hurt. Its amazing what your brain can do. Once your body adjusts you'll feel much better/

Ya know what they say...if it was easy - everyone would do it!!! HANG IN THERE!

Thank you all so much for your kind words, it honestly means the world to me! I love that I could share my thoughts and feelings and know that I'm not alone in all this, believe me I don't want to go back to my old ways, I'm understanding the meaning of Portion Control and it's actually made me realize how I got this way, I don't know about you guys but I started noticing the huge portions I use to eat by seeing other people eat them, even though my husband has been very supportive he's not ready to start his weightloss journey yet which makes it a bit difficult but I'm learning to focus on the positives! I can't believe how some people think this is the easy way out, if only those people knew how much of a struggle it actually is I wouldn't hesitate to discuss wls with them, but the only way you'll know is having to go through it yourself, thank you again everyone and good luck to us all in meeting our goal! Have a great day!!!! :)

I'm about five weeks out and yes, my body feels more normal than when i first had surgery. The first three weeks were really hard because whenever i would anything, even just s few sips of a medicine cup of Water, I would get this weird, kind of gassy sensation in my stomach that would rise up into my chest and sit there feeling uncomfortable and lime pressure, then it would last 10 seconds or so before disappearing.

This happened even when i wasn't eating. I tried gas x, prilosec and my doctor gave me some medicine that went under my tongue that was supposed to help. Nothing worked. i was so afraid I'd be like that forever and had made a huge mistake.

It turned out my stomach was spasming and just needed more time to heal. I can now drink 2 - 3 good sized swallows of Water before i have to stop. I don't take meds or feel like sensation anymore.

I feel completely normal now except when i eat bread. I have a hard time chewing bread well, so when i eat it i get a burning discomfort in my chest after a few bites.

I promise it will get better.

I was sleeved Dec 2nd and trust me, it does get better your just not able to eat as much..and that's a good thing!

Keep pushing on:)

Waiting in the pre op room then off to surgery! IVs are all hooked up! This is where I am contemplating... but I have done my research and I want this new start! I want to be healthy!

Wish me luck guys! I am going to be a POST opper.. on the losing side!