Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my medical clearance today and was shocked at what the Nurse Practitioner said to me...

The NP I see at my PMD said today while performing my medical clearance for VSG next week Monday ( T- 6 Days til surgery!) that 'most ppl gain the weight back... like 50%, only one or two ppl can keep it off'.

What is with the discouraging comments? I would like to know what the true stats are for re-gain post-gastric surgery.

I know that that is true for a lot of people with the lap band especially. My bariatric center has phased out lap-bands completely. I don't know the exact stats, but it is possible to gain the weight back, even with the sleeve as a tool. Try not to be discouraged by this NP. Chances are likely s/he doesn't know the real statistics. It should be their job to help support you in taking this step and to make sure they are there to help you succeed. How upsetting for you! You will be great--just make sure you have appropriate support from the medical professionals you see. If this particular office discourages you, find someone who can lift you up instead of putting you down. :)

The NP I see at my PMD said today while performing my medical clearance for VSG next week Monday ( T- 6 Days til surgery!) that 'most ppl gain the weight back... like 50%, only one or two ppl can keep it off'.

What is with the discouraging comments? I would like to know what the true stats are for re-gain post-gastric surgery.

I dont think that is true, unless you continue to eat as you did before the surgery.

Please dont take what they said to heart, they are just wanted to let you know that there are possiblities of gaining back the weight. Accept the challenge to make the sleeve work as a tool and continue to believe and work towards your goal.

I have heard the lapband has a 3% of success rate from my doctors office, it depends on the placement the lapband used and weither or not the Lapband slips, kinks or leaks. Most of us who have had a revision experince many problems with it.

Good Luck to ya!!

Edited by BellaHugz

Thanks... She has been grating on my nerves for some time now with her inappropriate comments. After this is said and done I may just find another PMD. Someone not so judgmental and critical.

I too have delt with a (i dont even know her job title) person at my surgeons office that always seem to have negative comments. This started the day of my seminar and I was scheduling.my initial consultation and she told me that my.insurance company would not be accepted there anymore. And to her surprise i was there for 6 months and scheduled for my surgery in 9 days. Dont let that nag bag ruin your positive attitude.

I agree , she sounds negative and jealousy perhaps she's hating because she does not have the encouragement or mindset to be heathy . Raise your head high, hay your procedure, and be healthy. If you find more negative people there switch programs. Good luck .

My surgeon's office keeps their own stats - they have to, to be a center of excellence. They also benchmark nationally. On average, they report that gastric sleeve patients lose about 70% of their excess weight by one year, and maintain about 60% or a little less of it over time. That's an average. Some people do worse, some do better. So, it sounds like the presentation was pretty negative, but not that far off from the truth of some reports. People see what they want to see, and it's surprising how uninformed and biased some medical professionals are.

I've been around the boards a while now, and I've seen lots of people lose 100%, a few have lost even more, and I've seen a few lose next to nothing and then not stick around here. I don't think the message boards are a totally accurate representation of all sleevers because the ones that come here are motivated. I keep coming here because I don't want to be one of those negative statistics!

I've lost 85% of my excess weight at 13 months. At my one year I had hit around 80%. My doc said I exceeded their expectations, and was more in line with gastric bypass stats. He also declared me a "success", but said that I could lose more if I wanted. He's right about that - it's up to us.

Maybe she was just saying that to make sure you are fully informed, but it sounds like she didn't have to be so negative. Maybe tell her boss/your doctor to help her with her bedside manner/communication style. But, hey; listen; maybe you're like me:

Right now, I am so tired of being 'clinically obese.' I'm tired of being in the 200s. I'm tired of people (now) saying, "Well you still have a pretty face."

Right now, I need to see the weight come off...now. I want to get back to 'me.' I want to be confortable/confident in my clothes, and be happy when I look in the mirror...now. I want to walk in a room and not look to see if I am the fattest woman in the room. I want to be in photos again; life is passing.

I want a break from feeling bad about myself and how I look. I'm tired of hiding socially. I want to return to my body matching my 'pretty' face and my 'great' personaility that has been under a rock for far too many years. I want to finally embrace the woman people told me I was years ago, but I never saw it [long story]. But I'm ready to fully embrace it and losing this weight is a part of that process...and I'm doing it for me. My VSG was Dec. 4th; 32 pounds gone so far, despite annoying stalls, so I'm moving forward and trying to hang in here. I AM hanging in here. (Btw, this site is helpful.)

So I said that to say this: I am not going to worry about what might happen 2-3 years from now. If I gain some weight back then, I'll deal with it then. Hopefully I won't gain it all back, which I shouldn't if I stay on (or periodically return to) the basics.

But right now...I'm in the process of my change for the better and I'm enjoying that now. I'll deal with 2-3 years later...in 2-3 years. I'd say think about your needs...right now. Just my thoughts.

Edited by Dr-Patient

Thanks... She has been grating on my nerves for some time now with her inappropriate comments. After this is said and done I may just find another PMD. Someone not so judgmental and critical.

Girl, can we talk? My primary care physician older nurse told me when i 1st started this journey for the sleeve "There are no fat POWs.." I was shocked, hurt and insulted all at the same time that I couldn't even respond. My best response will be the success of this sleeve!!

My surgeon's office keeps their own stats - they have to, to be a center of excellence. They also benchmark nationally. On average, they report that gastric sleeve patients lose about 70% of their excess weight by one year, and maintain about 60% or a little less of it over time. That's an average. Some people do worse, some do better. So, it sounds like the presentation was pretty negative, but not that far off from the truth of some reports. People see what they want to see, and it's surprising how uninformed and biased some medical professionals are.

I've been around the boards a while now, and I've seen lots of people lose 100%, a few have lost even more, and I've seen a few lose next to nothing and then not stick around here. I don't think the message boards are a totally accurate representation of all sleevers because the ones that come here are motivated. I keep coming here because I don't want to be one of those negative statistics!

I've lost 85% of my excess weight at 13 months. At my one year I had hit around 80%. My doc said I exceeded their expectations, and was more in line with gastric bypass stats. He also declared me a "success", but said that I could lose more if I wanted. He's right about that - it's up to us.

thank you for these stats!!! Very encouraging. I never thought to ask my surgeon. I also chose the Center of Excellence in my city. The numbers you reports are so so encouraging. Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!!

Girl, can we talk? My primary care physician older nurse told me when i 1st started this journey for the sleeve "There are no fat POWs.." I was shocked, hurt and insulted all at the same time that I couldn't even respond. My best response will be the success of this sleeve!!

How ignorant! When ppl say idiotic things like that I think to myself 'wolves do not lose sleep over the opinions of sheep'. :D

Maybe she was just saying that to make sure you are fully informed, but it sounds like she didn't have to be so negative. Myabe tell her boss/your doctor to help her with her bedside manner/communication style. But, hey; listen:

Right now, I am so tired of being 'clinically obese.' I'm tired of being in the 200s. I'm tired of people (now) saying, "Well you still have a pretty face."

Right now, I need to see the weight come off...now. I want to get back to 'me.' I want to be confortable/confident in my clothes, and be happy when I look in the mirror...now. I want to walk in a room and not look to see if I am the fattest woman in the room. I want to be in photos again; life is passing.

I want a break from feeling bad about myself and how I look. I'm tired of hiding socially. I want to return to my body matching my 'pretty' face and my 'great' personaility that has been under a rock for far too many years. I want to finally embrace the woman people told me I was years ago, but I never saw it [long story]. But I'm ready to fully embrace it and losing this weight is a part of that process...and I'm doing it for me. My VSG was Dec. 4th; 32 pounds gone so far, despite annoying stalls, so I'm moving forward and trying to hang in here. I AM hanging in here. (Btw, this site is helpful.)

So I said that to say this: I am not going to worry about what might happen 2-3 years from now. If I gain some weight back then, I'll deal with it then. Hopefully I won't gain it all back, which I shouldn't if I stay on (or periodically return to) the basics.

But right now...I'm in the process of my change for the better and I'm enjoying that now. I'll deal with 2-3 years later...in 2-3 years. Just my thoughts.

I agree with many of those 'right nows'!!!!! Thanks so much for sharing. I am honestly not upset by her comments... I just had to vent. That is right! This is not a sprint it's a marathon. See you at the finish line friend.

Dont let her get you down. We are on a journey. We may lose some and gain some but we know what it is like to be over weight. You will keep it off because you are a fighter, Yes, some make the wrong choices and gain it all back. The sleeve is only a tool. We make the final and most important decisions about what we eat and our exercise programs.

At my center I was told 92% of the sleeves have kept all the weight off. We have support groups that we must attend. There are people 2 years out who have not gained 1 pound back.

This is your journey not you NP's journey. Keep your head up :)

You can gain back weight, that is a fact. Surgeon is altering size of your stomach and not doing brain surgery. If you decide after surgery to eat junk, hello weight gain. Even a person with thier jaw wired can gain weight by sucking down unlimited malt shakes and smoothies.

So - saying this I want to encourage you that you ARE going to keep off the weight. Choose to make permanent changes BEFORE surgery. The sleeve is only a tool allowing you to lose the weight. I am at 3 1/2 years out. I am still right around surgeons goal. Sure I have bad days were I choose to eat junk. But one day does not determine permanant gain. I choose to make the sleevie wonder work.

Be a loser forever. I love my sleeve and have no regrets.

The NP I see at my PMD said today while performing my medical clearance for VSG next week Monday ( T- 6 Days til surgery!) that 'most ppl gain the weight back... like 50%, only one or two ppl can keep it off'. What is with the discouraging comments? I would like to know what the true stats are for re-gain post-gastric surgery.

I had 2 ppl at the hospital tell me I don't need surgery and could do it on my own....the morning of!!