Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are you NOT doing (but supposed to)?

I had/have a couple...

coffee - I admit, I'm a junkie. Early on I wasn't supposed to drink caffeine. I would drink a real coffee 1-2 times per week. Now I'm approved for one real cup per day...some days I have 2.

I had conflicting programs since I traveled out of the area for surgery - my surgeon was aggressive in introducing real food. My local doc wasn't. I kind would kind of pick and chose which plan to follow.

Currently, I'm supposed to be doing weight training - I was approved in late-December...I haven't done it yet.

An interesting story...the local doc that headed up the seminar I attended when I first started to explore WLS was a sleeve patient himself. I noticed when he walked in he was carrying a Diet 7Up. When he was reviewing the sleeve restrictions he said, "You can never chew gum. You can never have a soda. Blah blah blah" When asked how he can be drinking a Diet 7-Up he replied, "It doesn't bother me." When I went to my one on one consult with him, he threw out a piece of gum when he came in the room. Classic "do as I say, not as I do"!

Are you kidding me..............I would have thrown out everything he said about everything!!!!!!!!!! For Pete's sake!!!! :o

I ended up changing local docs - once I got to know him, I realized he wasn't the guy for me. His help and support ceased when I told him I wasn't going thru the insurance appeals process and chose my doc down in Las Vegas. He wouldn't even fill out the form that says if I was low risk, moderate risk or high risk. I assume he knew the risk since he was willing to operate. I'm glad I kicked him to the curb! LOL

I had/have a couple...

coffee - I admit, I'm a junkie. Early on I wasn't supposed to drink caffeine. I would drink a real coffee 1-2 times per week. Now I'm approved for one real cup per day...some days I have 2.

I had conflicting programs since I traveled out of the area for surgery - my surgeon was aggressive in introducing real food. My local doc wasn't. I kind would kind of pick and chose which plan to follow.

Currently, I'm supposed to be doing weight training - I was approved in late-December...I haven't done it yet.

An interesting story...the local doc that headed up the seminar I attended when I first started to explore WLS was a sleeve patient himself. I noticed when he walked in he was carrying a Diet 7Up. When he was reviewing the sleeve restrictions he said, "You can never chew gum. You can never have a soda. Blah blah blah" When asked how he can be drinking a Diet 7-Up he replied, "It doesn't bother me." When I went to my one on one consult with him, he threw out a piece of gum when he came in the room. Classic "do as I say, not as I do"!

Are you kidding me..............I would have thrown out everything he said about everything!!!!!!!!!! For Pete's sake!!!! :o

I ended up changing local docs - once I got to know him, I realized he wasn't the guy for me. His help and support ceased when I told him I wasn't going thru the insurance appeals process and chose my doc down in Las Vegas. He wouldn't even fill out the form that says if I was low risk, moderate risk or high risk. I assume he knew the risk since he was willing to operate. I'm glad I kicked him to the curb! LOL

You are wise beyond your years...that was scary............

Using a straw- I sip, sip, sip from my Camelback all day.

I drink from the Camelback-type Water bottle I was provided by the surgeon....But now straws? The water bottle you gave me has a straw!!!!!!!!! LOL

I chew gum all the time. My surgeon said gum is fine as long as I don't swallow it!

I am not getting enough exercise, but the main thing is I have to sip a little Water when I eat. I'm sorry, but I can't eat a meal "dry".

I'm curious....

I have not had surgery, not even approved... YET! But I notice you guys talking about how much trouble you have with the Water intake... I was curious what exactly is the Water intake... Because other than an occasional fruit drink once a week at most, I only drink water and lots of it...

I am glad you asked!!!!!!!!!

Before my surgery I drank on the average 3 liters of Water a day......Loved it, drank it, and had no issues...After surgery I no longer had the capacity to drink that much Water so now I aim for 64 oz.

When you are sleeved you will find that your tastes have changed and also the feeling in your sleeve that happens when you eat or drink. There is a restriction for a while and it is very difficult to do what they want you to do at first...Get 64 oz of water in..plus 60 m of Protein...It seems so much a huge amount. For the size of your sleeve...You feel like all you are doing is eating and drinking water all day long and not easily either....It becomes tedious and can be painful because our new sleeve is temperamental at first....

But as time goes by it does get easier to take that much in.....But like me others have found that just water makes them feel awful...i have to add flavor to it unless i am really warm....

Just as important as Protein is, so is the consumption of water to keep you hydrated and help tone muscles and help you to lose weight.....It also aids in keeping you regular.....K

Edited by RJ'S/beginning

I'm curious....

I have not had surgery, not even approved... YET! But I notice you guys talking about how much trouble you have with the Water intake... I was curious what exactly is the Water intake... Because other than an occasional fruit drink once a week at most, I only drink water and lots of it...

I'm less than 3 weeks out and I haven't hit my Fluid intake not even one time (except for when I was hospitalized and had the IV). I have to stay away from juices because of the carbs but I can't even get down one 8 oz glass of Water but this was also my major problem BEFORE surgery....and no, all those little flavored water tricks don't help. Consequently, my weight loss stalled during week 2. Right now I'm resorting to almond milk just to get in some liquid which I really like but I've got to do something and quick about my liquid intake. Wish I could just hook up an IV at home and get it over with...LOL. I was also completely sick of Protein powder shakes so I put them to the side for a while and am getting my Protein with boiled shrimp. It seemed to have jump started my weight loss again. It's hard but I'm determined to try by finding alternatives that work for me.

Edited by BamaBoo64

My surgeon is so strict on calories. At 10 months out and exercising 5/6 days per week he thinks I should be consuming only 800 calories per day and to not deduct any calories burned through exercise. I think he is nuts. I am running, lifting weights or doing and hour on the elliptical. It is almost impossible to stay at 800 calories. I am more in the 1100 calorie range but burn 250-600 calories per day with exercise. I am happy with my weight loss. In 10 months since surgery I only have 9 more pounds to loose to be a "normal" BMI. The effect this has had is I probably already would be normal BMI but I'll take it.

i think he is nuts too.

Exercise regularly. Failure in this department and my weight shows it. ARGH, I have seen the enemy and it is me.

I'm less than 3 weeks out and I haven't hit my Fluid intake not even one time (except for when I was hospitalized and had the IV). I have to stay away from juices because of the carbs but I can't even get down one 8 oz glass of Water but this was also my major problem BEFORE surgery....and no, all those little flavored water tricks don't help. Consequently, my weight loss stalled during week 2. Right now I'm resorting to almond milk just to get in some liquid which I really like but I've got to do something and quick about my liquid intake. Wish I could just hook up an IV at home and get it over with...LOL. I was also completely sick of Protein powder shakes so I put them to the side for a while and am getting my Protein with boiled shrimp. It seemed to have jump started my weight loss again. It's hard but I'm determined to try by finding alternatives that work for me.

Hi, I'm also three weeks out. It depends on the day if I'm able to get my Protein and Water in uhg! I hate the taste of water (now) and the Protein Shakes. Even if I add crystal light. It just burns up my stomach. Are you on a pureed diet or soft foods? Is the boiled shrimp easy to digest? I was loving tuna up until today. My stomach decided it didn't like anything. Had to go back to liquids today (as I was cooking a delicious smelling meal for my son :( )

I am not getting enough exercise, but the main thing is I have to sip a little Water when I eat. I'm sorry, but I can't eat a meal "dry".

Ugh, also guilty of that. I make sure it is minimal though.

I am glad you asked!!!!!!!!!

Before my surgery I drank on the average 3 liters of Water a day......Loved it, drank it, and had no issues...After surgery I no longer had the capacity to drink that much Water so now I aim for 64 oz.

When you are sleeved you will find that your tastes have changed and also the feeling in your sleeve that happens when you eat or drink. There is a restriction for a while and it is very difficult to do what they want you to do at first...Get 64 oz of water in..plus 60 m of Protein...It seems so much a huge amount. For the size of your sleeve...You feel like all you are doing is eating and drinking water all day long and not easily either....It becomes tedious and can be painful because our new sleeve is temperamental at first....

But as time goes by it does get easier to take that much in.....But like me others have found that just water makes them feel awful...i have to add flavor to it unless i am really warm....

Just as important as Protein is, so is the consumption of water to keep you hydrated and help tone muscles and help you to lose weight.....It also aids in keeping you regular.....K

Well put!