Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I saw this report what scares me is the highlighted area stating the 12% reoperation rate for gastric banding :( Doesn't seem like good stats. But only time will tell...............

First consider that with the band and its 12% reoperation rate, at least you can have a reoperation as you still have all your parts. With the bypass its only 3%, but what ya gonna do, it's all gone. The sleeve, 9%....same thing.

Also, I questions whether this 12% includes folks that gave up on the band for whatever reason and decided another WLS would have done them better and had revision. We do see a lot of that here.

3rd, I don't like the words "mortaility" associated with the other 2 surgeries that's just thrown around so loosely. I think the band is still the safest surgery of the 3 mentioned. The weight loss may take a little more work, may be slower, but you get there still if you put it in to it.

If you visit the other sites, and I don't much, you hear the same story from their folks wanting to know why they plateaued, why they haven't lost what they feel they should etc. And we all know folks from all of the WLSs that have failed in their weight loss. At least I do.

There will always be risks with weight loss surgery's. My daughter in law had the sleeve and is sick as a dog and can not have anything done. It just doesn't work for everyone. Which is fine but the thing I don't like is when people post statistics that are older then the band. Yes in the beginning with the 4 cc bands and plication's a lot of things went wrong. It's never going to be perfect but you know the risks and the benefits going in to surgery and the benefits far outweigh the risks.

maestrita:

Sorry to hear of your troubles with the Band. Thank you for posting what your experience has been, and that you have found a better solution.

Hope we will have the chance to hear your periodic updates as you recover from the new procedure. Your information shared may well help someone else avoid what you have gone through.

Thank you to those of you who responded out of concern. That means a lot to me. This has been very scary and physically and financially painful for me and my family. I never encountered any "research" (holding a Master of Science degree, I think the term tends to be used rather loosely) on the band that indicated that it could slip downward or that there was a risk to other organs. I was surprised to find the FDA's report on the incidence of complications. I thought that if there was a slip, it would only impact my stomach. I didn't fail at weight loss. I didn't have problems getting stuck or vomiting... I lost a significant amount of weight before I became symptomatic. I believe that the slip was caused by an aggressive fill. A nurse accidentally put in two ccs, and at that point I became symptomatic (I only found out that she'd overfilled me in the emergency room the following day when they extracted all of the liquid from the band and there were 7ccs instead of 6). The bariatric surgeon who did my aftercare suggested that the overfill caused the slip and that it might have resulted in the stitches separating, but I can't be sure.

Sure anything can happen. You can get hit by a car crossing the road.... but this did happen. This is my story, and I will continue to post right here where people can see what can happen. Perhaps its anecdotal, but it's my anecdote, and to try to cover it up or minimize it is not only hurtful, it serves to mislead others who come here hoping to learn about what can and does go wrong sometimes. People need this information before they make the decision to move forward.

Edited by maestrita

Thank you to those of you who responded out of concern. That means a lot to me. This has been very scary and physically and financially painful for me and my family. I never encountered any "research" (holding a Master of Science degree, I think the term tends to be used rather loosely) on the band that indicated that it could slip downward or that there was a risk to other organs. I was surprised to find the FDA's report on the incidence of complications. I thought that if there was a slip, it would only impact my stomach. I didn't fail at weight loss. I didn't have problems getting stuck or vomiting... I lost a significant amount of weight before I became symptomatic. I believe that the slip was caused by an aggressive fill. A nurse accidentally put in two ccs, and at that point I became symptomatic (I only found out that she'd overfilled me in the emergency room the following day when they extracted all of the liquid from the band and there were 7ccs instead of 8). The bariatric surgeon who did my aftercare suggested that the overfill caused the slip and that it might have resulted in the stitches separating, but I can't be sure. Sure anything can happen. You can get hit by a car crossing the road.... but this did happen. This is my story, and I will continue to post right here where people can see what can happen. Perhaps its anecdotal, but it's my anecdote, and to try to cover it up or minimize it is not only hurtful, it serves to mislead others who come here hoping to learn about what can and does go wrong sometimes. People need this information before they make the decision to move forward.

I think that is why refills should be done by removing all of the Fluid and then adding it back in plus any additional needed. That way there is no mistake on how much fluid is in the band.

Refilling by removing all the Fluid and then replacing it actually causes more swelling than just a normal fill imo. I have had both because of a leak, and removing all the Fluid is much harder on me. I would not prefer to do that if I can help it.

I feel for you, OP. I think it's horrendous that your slip was not picked up as soon as you experienced some symptoms. I felt a quick loss of restriction in Jan 2012, and my surgeon immediately began investigation, though it did take many many months to resolve. I'm horrified to hear that your complication was not picked up until it had done so much damage. I worry sometimes that the band requires SUCH a high level of aftercare that if patient and doctor are not in sync, bad things happen. And that you would have to pay so much to have it removed when it was damaging you, astounds and saddens me. I'm in Australia, where we have universal healthcare. That wouldn't have happened here.

I have been lucky in that aside from the leak and the issues associated with that (repeated operations to resolve) the band has worked incredibly well for me. I'm sorry your band has caused you so much pain and suffering. And I don't blame you for wishing you'd never had it done, given your particular circumstances.

Edited by lellow

As far as warning people to be cautious and careful, you are correct...everyone should be careful in everything they do... I need to be careful when I cross the street or I might get hit by a bus.... But I am mindful that things can happen with this surgery...but what is one supposed to do to take care of their band? Follow the rules? For me, the only things I am mindful of, is that I am careful to "Listen" to my band, and not fight it...the band will remind me what rules to follow, and when....when it says stop, I stop...when it says slow down, I slow down...same as it telling me smaller bites...chew better....or do not eat this type of food!....believe me, if I do not, my band will let me know it.... I am one of those who drink carbonated drinks (Not soda)....don't condone it to everyone, but again, when I do drink it, I am listening to my band with every sip! I read here all the time, people complaining they are suffering from this and that, and I sometimes wonder, are they fighting their bands? And not respecting the signals by changing their ways to meet the bands demands? If they're fighting it, they're asking for trouble.... I am also a believer, having been at my optimal weight for 2 years now, that I need to go all liquids for 2-3 days, every so often, just to give everything a rest, and perhaps some healing I'm not even aware about... There are signs as to when I should do this, but that is another topic.... But just as I go to the gym often, and run, I also need to have some down time, or I'm headed for a injury... It is true, there is a high band failure rate...don't know the %, and Dr.'s are promoting other WLS ... I did talk to my surgeon about this....I'M NOT SAYING THIS IS YOUR CASE.....BUT he told me the rates of success are lower than he would like to see, mainly because of Patient Non-compliance....patients have to much control with the Lap Band...other surgeries, it is what it is...no adjusting...

AMEN. Well spoken & straight to the point.

I saw this report what scares me is the highlighted area stating the 12% reoperation rate for gastric banding :( Doesn't seem like good stats. But only time will tell...............

The fact that the band procedure is re-operable, whereas other WLS procedures are not, may factor in to the higher rate.

I'd rather have the opportunity to be able to re-operate than have no other alternative. I'm banded and I'm happy with it. In case of complications I can do something about it.

My daughter has the sleeve since July and she looks fantastic but if there are complications she has no alternatives. It's a matter of personal choice. My doctor does the band and the sleeve. My daughter's surgeon no longer does the band. He only does the sleeve and gastric bypass.

The fact that the band procedure is re-operable, whereas other WLS procedures are not, may factor in to the higher rate.

RNY and the band can be reversed (not necessarily with ease, but it can be done). The sleeve, and the sleeve portion of DS (duodenal switch) cannot be reversed because 75-80% of the stomach is removed and discarded.

Has anybody reading this thread delved into the reasons (if any) given by that study's author for the higher re-operation rate in band patients? It would be interesting to look at that information. Based on my personal experience and the experience of some band patients I've known for a long time and know IRL (in real life), there are a number of reasons for re-operation, not all of them due to complications. Some revise to other procedures because of disappointing weight loss (and the disappointment can be related to concurrent medical issues that affect weight as well as unrealistic weight loss expectations). Some revise because of side effects. Some revise because of complications. Some revise because a band that worked very well for the 1st few years didn't respond to fills after pregnancy and birth of a child.

Thanks for posting this, maestrita. Your thread has provoked an interesting discussion, and I'm glad no one has resorted to mud-slinging (yet).

Since I revised (not very happily) to the sleeve, I've often been asked if I regret my initial choice of the band. I admit that my affection for my band colors my response to a question like that. No, I don't regret my band surgery.

It's harder for me to answer 3 other common questions.

One: Would I recommend the band to pre-ops as eagerly today as I did 6-7 years ago? I'm not sure. The answer depends as much on the person who's asking as it does on me, and there's no such thing as a perfect or one-size-fits-all WLS procedure.

Two: Would I choose to revise again (if needed) today? No. Since most of my stomach is gone forever, there's only one other WLS option available to me now: duodenal switch. I'm having enough trouble with micro and macro-nutrient malabsorption with my sleeve. I can't imagine how I'd manage with the DS.

Three: Would I recommend bariatric surgery (as a whole, not related to a particular procedure) to an obese person today? I'm just not sure. I guess I would if the person's co-morbidities were so severe that some kind of WLS could be life-saving.

All bodies will not react the same to a surgery. There r complications with all types of operations. Reports r not always accurate. There r pros and cons to everything. Good luck to all

Thanks for posting this, maestrita. Your thread has provoked an interesting discussion, and I'm glad no one has resorted to mud-slinging (yet).

Since I revised (not very happily) to the sleeve, I've often been asked if I regret my initial choice of the band. I admit that my affection for my band colors my response to a question like that. No, I don't regret my band surgery.

It's harder for me to answer 3 other common questions.

One: Would I recommend the band to pre-ops as eagerly today as I did 6-7 years ago? I'm not sure. The answer depends as much on the person who's asking as it does on me, and there's no such thing as a perfect or one-size-fits-all WLS procedure.

Two: Would I choose to revise again (if needed) today? No. Since most of my stomach is gone forever, there's only one other WLS option available to me now: duodenal switch. I'm having enough trouble with micro and macro-nutrient malabsorption with my sleeve. I can't imagine how I'd manage with the DS.

Three: Would I recommend bariatric surgery (as a whole, not related to a particular procedure) to an obese person today? I'm just not sure. I guess I would if the person's co-morbidities were so severe that some kind of WLS could be life-saving.

Would you mind me asking? Did you revise because of problems with the band?