Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What on earth have I done?

2 weeks ago today I had my sleeve gastrectomy. I'm finding it so hard to get the Protein and liquid in, I have another week before I am allowed smooth food. I would really appreciate some advice, I feel upset all the time and just have no appetite at all. When did you stray to feel better and more positive? Thanks x

I started to feel better around the 2 week mark but still took it easy on myself with very limited physical exertion. I remember my surgeon advising me that the first few weeks many struggle with meeting Protein and Water goals and at this stage it is just that a goal. I had 4 oz of Protein Drink 3 times per day and that was the main source of my Protein at this stage. In addition I would have 2-3oz of unjury chicken Soup or cream of chicken Soup and that was basically it and then sipped crystal light all day. When your swelling of your stomach subsides you will be able to eat more or drink more and then it will be easier to meet those goals. At this point it is probably just ok to do the best you can with protein and to sip all day. Of course check this with your surgeon.

It might also make you feel better to get out and get a little fresh air (if you haven't already). I promise it will get better.

Hang in there, it will get better.

In the beginning, I went by the clock - if I waited until I was hungry, I would have never eaten anything. I came up with a schedule for my shakes while on liquids and stuck to it. I struggled to get the mins in at first, too. Just do as much as you can. In order to get more fluids, I switched to Vitamin Water Zero and Propel Zero - I couldn't stomach plain Water, and those helped me drink more and I started feeling better with more water in me.

I had some buyer's remorse and thoughts of "Oh my God, what did I do to myself," Once I started feeling better those thoughts went away.

I agree with above - walking, specifically outside, helped me. I wasn't breaking any land speed records, but being outside in the fresh air with some sun on my face did wonders for my attitude.

Kezzer, I'm 11 days post-op...and I too have said "omg, what have i done??" I think it's a normal reaction when making such a huge life change. Don't be discouraged. You will find lots of kind people on this forum, who have great advice to share. My experience is a little different than yours, in that my surgeon likes to move his patients through the stages much faster. I was only on liquids for 5 days post-op, and then I could have light yogurt, cream of wheat, mashed potatoes, and scrambled eggs. I saw my surgeon for my first post-op visit this past Wednesday, and he moved me straight to Stage III, where I can now eat a much wider variety. I can have chicken, fish, tuna, soft veggies and fruits, cottage cheese, etc. I can't have any red meat, raw veggies, soft bread, carbonated beverages, and of course no high fat, high sugar items. Being able to now have that kind of normalcy in my diet has helped my mood tremendously.

I tell you all that because maybe it's something that you might want to talk to your doctor about. Maybe they could allow you to have a bit more variety, and that could help your appetite and your mood.

Don't give up, and don't be too hard on yourself. You made the best decision to get healthy and improve your life...and you will get there!

Thanks all xxx

I will be six weeks out on Monday. I had 2 procedures - the sleeve and then a hernia fix/scar tissue removal the next day. I remember feeling just like you. I knew I was on the dehydrated side and this worried me. Starting last weekend, nearly overnight I turned a corner. I was finally able to get more fluids because my capacity seemed to increase. What a relief!

I found it helpful to start taking in fluids literally as soon as I open my eyes (5:45 a.m. on weekdays). I get a jump start that way. I keep a glass of Water by my bed. When I was able to eat Soup, split pea soup has a decent Protein content that I added unflavored Protein power to. Around week 3 I noticed that soup with Protein powder added gave me the most protein bang for my buck and was NOT a protein shake! The pea soup in a carton (organic maybe?) seems thinner with better protein. Campbells is thick and more filling.

Hang in there, it WILL get better!

I'm 16 days post op and feel so weak and tired. And my doc wants me to work out. Noway. I can hardly stand without getting tired! I wish I would get better soon!