Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting to feel some slight depression....(Pity Party)

Here is my story...]I am four weeks out and not feeling too happy about my decision! I'm in a rut I suppose! I'm either hungry or too full, and I have terrible gas all the time! Not only uncomfortable but embarrassing. And I haven't lost any weight since week 2. Will I ever feel normal?

Hey Shelby. I am 4 weeks post-op. I am doing very well. Right after surgery and the 1st week out I was really struggling. When I went to see the team. I told them I felt like I was going to puke all the time. Well they forgot 2 meds when I left hospital. Carafate helps with healing of tummy and staple line. Also I am on omeprazole for 3 months. Controls stomach acid. These 2 things helped me 100% I just started Protein in regular consistency. Actually had 4 bites of a burger today. Did you or are you taking either of these items? Hope things get better for you. Stay positive. Lots of support on this site.

Hey Pat congratulations on feeling great.... I am on the omeprazole but not the other medication .....and told them that I need a stronger acid reducer but the nurse refuses to give me one.... I am really working to try to get over this hump .....a burger sound delicious ....how did it go down, any problems?

Shel

Hey shel. The burger went down well. I am still working on telling myself to eat slower and chew a lot more before swallowing. All the years of on the go and woofing my food down is a tough habit to break. This is my 3rd major surgery. Donated kidney to my brother. Back surgery. And now my new sleeve. Most important thing I have learned. We are in control of our body. If nurse refuses to change something tell them you want to see the Surgeon . Dr. Anyone who will listen. it is your body and your money. Not theirs. They may be the professional but you are still the boss!!! Stay strong and battle thru this.

Here is my story...]I am four weeks out and not feeling too happy about my decision! I'm in a rut I suppose! I'm either hungry or too full, and I have terrible gas all the time! Not only uncomfortable but embarrassing. And I haven't lost any weight since week 2. Will I ever feel normal?

You will feel a new kind of normal eventually. You used to have an automatic digestive system. Your learning to drive the stick shift version. The hunger and gas will subside. Your hormones and mind will regulate and you will lose weight (I promise). Its mathematically impossible not to.

I understand completely how you feel ....I have questioned my decision more and more .....I still think it was the right decision but I just have to learn how to manage it and accept the changes I can't control .....tonight I spent the night in the ER because I'm not getting enough fluids in....I know something is going to change for the better.... I have lost weight 39 pounds.... But I do question if it's worth it....

Shel

Hey shel. The burger went down well. I am still working on telling myself to eat slower and chew a lot more before swallowing. All the years of on the go and woofing my food down is a tough habit to break. This is my 3rd major surgery. Donated kidney to my brother. Back surgery. And now my new sleeve. Most important thing I have learned. We are in control of our body. If nurse refuses to change something tell them you want to see the Surgeon . Dr. Anyone who will listen. it is your body and your money. Not theirs. They may be the professional but you are still the boss!!! Stay strong and battle thru this.

Hi Pat ....that burger sounds delicious ....in is tough especially agree with you eating fast food on the go .....busy life .....really hard not to eat and get work done ....we are in control of our body and I just really have to get my mind around how different my life is.... that's the hard part ....the head game ....thank you for understanding.... I am absolutely going to maintain that on the boss when it comes to trying to see my physician but now that I have spent the night in the ER my ER doctor wrote a request specifically stating that I meet with my surgeon so hopefully I won't have a problem thanks for your support I really appreciate not feeling so alone...:-)

Shelby

I'm SO GLAD I came across this thread. I've been feeling alone and isolated and question all the time whether or not I should have done this.

I'm 12 days out and miserable. I have frequent nausea, daily diarrhea, and tremendous, constant stomach activity. I can barely swallow small pills and have totally stopped taking large ones like Calcium.

The head hunger is out of this world yet I can barely tolerate more than 4 tsp of Tomato Soup or Cream of Wheat. All the Protein shakes I drank pre-op are a thing of the past. I can't bear to even THINK about having ONE now. The thought absolutely disgusts me. I'm getting pretty much no Protein at this point and am most definitely nutrient and Vitamin deficient. I feel unhealthy.

I sleep all day and am up all night. My entire schedule is jacked. I'm going stir crazy being in the house all the time and I'm depressed as hell.

I know it's early and I should be more optimistic, but it's hard not to get lost in the momentary misery I'm currently feeling.

Hey everyone....I'm glad I found this thread also.....I'm on week 3 post op and having trouble getting the fluids and Protein in. I'm not having the nausea but am struggling with the tracking of everything. I am not a structure person and all of this regiment is really starting to make me grumpy. I am stalled at 27 pounds lost since beginning the pre-op diet before surgery. The mental part of this is much harder than I anticipated.

Edited by WolfpackGirl

I'm 6 weeks out and still have a hard time with fluids and Protein. I am often depressed about my decision. I keep questioning when this gets easier. Today is a bad day where I don't feel like eating anything at all. I worry about my calorie intake also.

I'm SO GLAD I came across this thread. I've been feeling alone and isolated and question all the time whether or not I should have done this. I'm 12 days out and miserable. I have frequent nausea, daily diarrhea, and tremendous, constant stomach activity. I can barely swallow small pills and have totally stopped taking large ones like Calcium. The head hunger is out of this world yet I can barely tolerate more than 4 tsp of Tomato Soup or Cream of Wheat. All the Protein shakes I drank pre-op are a thing of the past. I can't bear to even THINK about having ONE now. The thought absolutely disgusts me. I'm getting pretty much no Protein at this point and am most definitely nutrient and Vitamin deficient. I feel unhealthy. I sleep all day and am up all night. My entire schedule is jacked. I'm going stir crazy being in the house all the time and I'm depressed as hell. I know it's early and I should be more optimistic, but it's hard not to get lost in the momentary misery I'm currently feeling.

Kitty, I completely understand .......buddy let me tell you you are in your infancy in this process....just about everyone , we'll for most patients we have gone through exactly what you were describing ....I went through it too and it is isolating and it is difficult .....the nausea is horrible .....in my case my nausea came from being dehydrated.... I too could not get the recommended amount of Fluid in....I stopped eating completely and I started losing a lot of weight very fast ...I ended up in the hospital with infusion therapy to bring my fluids back up to normal levels ....I will tell you that now that I'm fully hydrated .....I'm seven weeks out and I feel amazing .....so do know this horrible part will pass..... it does take some time it's...... not overnight but it will pass...... I promise.... the diarrhea will stop..... that irritability will stop..... the ability to take Vitamins will come back the ability to eat normal food will come back..... I promise..... but when I was 12days along or even a week ago I never thought I was ever going to feel normal again.... I swear to you after hitting seven weeks and being fully hydrated I'm taking my Vitamins I'm eating I'm drinking all that I should and it's like night and day ...hang in there and know it WILL end...

Shel

Y

Hey everyone....I'm glad I found this thread also.....I'm on week 3 post op and having trouble getting the fluids and Protein in. I'm not having the nausea but am struggling with the tracking of everything. I am not a structure person and all of this regiment is really starting to make me grumpy. I am stalled at 27 pounds lost since beginning the pre-op diet before surgery. The mental part of this is much harder than I anticipated.

Hi wolf girl .....I'm glad you found this thread too..... it is very very tough in the beginning especially in the early days like I told Kitty ,you are also in your infancy but trust me you will absolutely be able to pull it together ...work to try to stay hydrated .....you are just three weeks out from having major organ surgery.... you're supposed to be grumpy you're supposed to miss the food ....you're supposed to have head games..... there are so many other things that come with the surgery but I assure you it will get better you will feel better the pain will go away your energy level will come back you'll be able to eat normal table food and you will be able to get back to the business of living your life I promise...

Shel

I'm 6 weeks out and still have a hard time with fluids and Protein. I am often depressed about my decision. I keep questioning when this gets easier. Today is a bad day where I don't feel like eating anything at all. I worry about my calorie intake also.

You and I are fairly close in our surgery date .....I am seven weeks on Tuesday .....some days it just like that, my sleeve (Felipe) is very temperamental ... But as I'm able to heal , I'm starting to feel much much better and I'm starting to regret my decision less and less.... but recently I was hospitalized for dehydration .....I had severe nausea ....I couldn't eat anything or drink anything ....I was absolutely miserable and flat on my back and I was full of regret..... but since i feel better and because I feel like a whole new person now that I'm well, i think that the sleeve is amazing I'm still losing weight ....the key for me is I need to feel good in this process.... when I don't feel good I'm very unhappy.... do trust me it gets better with time it really really does...

Shel

You and I are fairly close in our surgery date .....I am seven weeks on Tuesday .....some days it just like that, my sleeve (Felipe) is very temperamental ... But as I'm able to heal , I'm starting to feel much much better and I'm starting to regret my decision less and less.... but recently I was hospitalized for dehydration .....I had severe nausea ....I couldn't eat anything or drink anything ....I was absolutely miserable and flat on my back and I was full of regret..... but since i feel better and because I feel like a whole new person now that I'm well, i think that the sleeve is amazing I'm still losing weight ....the key for me is I need to feel good in this process.... when I don't feel good I'm very unhappy.... do trust me it gets better with time it really really does...

Shel

So, just thought I'd throw this out your way. I'm 15 weeks and its only been in the last maybe 2 weeks that I've felt good. I stsrted hitting my Fluid goals...finally. I've began to eat things that sustain my much longer.(taco casserole, chicken thighs slow roasted and cut up etc)

I can truely say I feel great. Just not today tho. (Had a bad night from a sensative intestine)

It does get better. I didn't think it would. But next week I'm exactly 4 months post op and bam! Feeling pretty great!

I'm SO GLAD I came across this thread. I've been feeling alone and isolated and question all the time whether or not I should have done this. I'm 12 days out and miserable. I have frequent nausea, daily diarrhea, and tremendous, constant stomach activity. I can barely swallow small pills and have totally stopped taking large ones like Calcium. The head hunger is out of this world yet I can barely tolerate more than 4 tsp of Tomato Soup or Cream of Wheat. All the Protein shakes I drank pre-op are a thing of the past. I can't bear to even THINK about having ONE now. The thought absolutely disgusts me. I'm getting pretty much no Protein at this point and am most definitely nutrient and Vitamin deficient. I feel unhealthy. I sleep all day and am up all night. My entire schedule is jacked. I'm going stir crazy being in the house all the time and I'm depressed as hell. I know it's early and I should be more optimistic, but it's hard not to get lost in the momentary misery I'm currently feeling.

Kitty, I completely understand .......buddy let me tell you you are in your infancy in this process....just about everyone , we'll for most patients we have gone through exactly what you were describing ....I went through it too and it is isolating and it is difficult .....the nausea is horrible .....in my case my nausea came from being dehydrated.... I too could not get the recommended amount of Fluid in....I stopped eating completely and I started losing a lot of weight very fast ...I ended up in the hospital with infusion therapy to bring my fluids back up to normal levels ....I will tell you that now that I'm fully hydrated .....I'm seven weeks out and I feel amazing .....so do know this horrible part will pass..... it does take some time it's...... not overnight but it will pass...... I promise.... the diarrhea will stop..... that irritability will stop..... the ability to take Vitamins will come back the ability to eat normal food will come back..... I promise..... but when I was 12days along or even a week ago I never thought I was ever going to feel normal again.... I swear to you after hitting seven weeks and being fully hydrated I'm taking my Vitamins I'm eating I'm drinking all that I should and it's like night and day ...hang in there and know it WILL end...

Shel

Y

That gives me hope Shel- I cried a little reading your response.

I guess I just wasn't expecting it to be this hard. I really thought the first few days would be super difficult and then I'd be pretty much back to normal.

I'm worse now than I was then (except the wretched gas pains are gone) and I was really starting to feel defective.

When you say you stopped eating...what did your typical day look like? I'm drinking til my urine is very light yellow/clear so I don't think I'm dehydrated, but I'm at the point where I've barely had TWO BITES of Soup each day for the last 4 days. I'm just waiting for my hair to start falling out. :(

I'm really glad I took a month off from work. I actually contemplated going back the week after surgery! I don't know how in the world I would have managed that. And when I do go back (on the 19th), I imagine I'll still be feeling like absolute s***.

ok here goes lol

in may I will be 2 years out and had a lot of problems still have some but it gets easier so my list

Water nausea lots of puking lactose intolerance sensitive sleeve small sleeve the whole taste bud change from sensitive to salt to everything tasting super sweet.

had to go back to the broth stage and work forward again as by you should be on solid food now stage I was having a lot of issues with bad pain and puking from still being swollen and a small sleeve.

still to this day I dought I drink 64oz of water seeing as I barely drink water at all I know its not happening I drink tea and Protein Shakes so maybe but yeah I don't drink 6oz of water on top of everything else never have!

you are still in such a early stage of being out from the op your gonna get all the crap feelings and issues and what the hell did I do this is not normal things.

it just takes time don't rush it don't try to eat a burger 4 weeks out!

with my Protein shakes I use hazelnut milk from alpro its not soy not cows milk so no lactose an dairy free.

all the samples of Protein Shake I tired before the op were disgusting to me after as they seemed sooooo sweet I had to start again finding one that was ok to my taste buds and really good quality luckily I did but I spent hours looking and must have sampled over 40 in different flavours.

you will be tired I posted this in other threads but you will your recovering from a op on next to no food to help you heal your body uses all it can to heal so it wipes you out for the longest time after its normal to go through this.

the fluids thing anything liquid is a Fluid you don't have to try and chug water if your like me and can't tolerate room temp or cold drinks have warm or hot ones like Decaf unsweetened tea the liquid stages of your diet is fluid intake it all contains water as long as your not dehydrated and get enough fluid in all forms you will be ok.

most of it gets easier you learn what you can do what your body is ok with what a little of is ok but not too much etc

it honestly does get easier with time its just a major head F to get there at times and you do question what you did because you feel so rough and have pain and everything else that goes with this.

it will get better and your not alone with how you feel.