Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair loss. Canvassing for Dates when it started/finished

Hello darlings. I know this topic has been 'done to death' but I'd just like to ask a quick question to get some data together for our general consumption, if you would be so kind.

For those of you who have been sleeved and experienced some hair loss, would you be able to recount when it started and roughly when it slowed and then stopped? If it stopped?

Do you think the 'type of hair' you had/have had anything to do with it? (Fine/thick/average/afro/curly/straight, etc. etc.)

Has your hair returned to normal? Or has it been changed (greasy/dry/frizzy)/significantly degraded in thickness/volume as a consequence?

Any experiences greatly appreciated.

Mwah x :D

My hair loss started at the 6 month mark. It went on for about 4 months and I lost about 50% of my hair, I would say. Before loss started, I was hitting my Protein and liquid goals, consuming about 1,000 to 1,500 calories (except for the first two months) and taking my Vitamins and Biotin religiously.

I have very thick hair and decided to just shave it when it started falling out, as you can see from my "after" photo in my gallery. I have it grown out long now (two and half years post-op) and is full. (though quite gray ... :()

Feels odd to 'like' a comment about something which can be considered fairly traumatic, but appreciate your candor. :)

My hair loss started at about the 3-3.5 month mark. At 6 months now, it is still coming out but since I chopped it into a chin length bob a month ago, it seems to not be as bad. I also went from washing every day to every other day. It does seem to help.

I always had nice, healthy hair. Thin, but a lot of it. After surgery, I noticed my hair becoming more coarse. And definitely frizzy. Cutting it helped but the winter cold is not doing me any favors. Also, some layers added much needed body to my now much thinner hair.

I hope that it stops falling out soon. I manage to get all my Protein in and have been taking Biotin since the begininning of my 6 month pre-op diet. I do have some re-growth now and can't wait until this is over.

mine was coming out in CLUMPS (good thing I use a hair strainer on my drain, or the plumber would be there every other day!!!) from the beginning... I have very thick hair, so it was no real problem for me. I started using and still use Biotin, my hair is back to it's normal loss ratio and no changes to it's texture/etc., that I have noticed.

Edited by BigGirlPanties

Mild hair loss started at month two and had stopped by month 6. Since then my hair is nice & dry. I can easily skip a hairwash on any day (something that before I could NEVER do!)

Well I am finally getting to the other side of the hair loss thing. I am just about 6 months out. Mine started a little over 3 months and is just now winding down. I had normal to oily pin straight hair before and a lot of it. I can say that I have lost prob 40-50% of my volume of hair(thankful that I had a lot to begin with) and I am noticing that it is no longer oily but on the dry side. I used to have to wash it everyday now can go every other if I want. I have kept it long. I have taken my Vitamins but have never done the Biotin. My doctor told me that its a crap shoot with Hair loss and that Biotin may help but if you are going to lose it there's really no stopping it. But if my hair was thin to begin with I would have totally done biotin and rain dancing or whatever I could to keep me from going bald!!! Mine came out as a steading shedding all day no clumps or alarming amounts at a time. I think I am now just about back to normal losses.

I came home from the hospital after a 5+ month stay and had lost all my hair except 2 strands down both sides of my head......Why the hell they did not just cut those off I have no idea....My hair dresser came to my house and cut them off...I started taking Biotin and still do...My hair is still growing in..But my hair dresser says my hair is different then it used to be....for one thing it is curly now and I have always had hair as straight as a pin.............So it is taking forever to come back in as well....I hated this part sso much you have no idea!

mine was coming out in CLUMPS (good thing I use a hair strainer on my drain, or the plumber would be there every other day!!!) from the beginning... I have very thick hair, so it was no real problem for me. I started using and still use Biotin, my hair is back to it's normal loss ratio and no changes to it's texture/etc., that I have noticed.

Which month did your hair start falling out and when did the loss slow down?

I am still in the Hair loss stage...It started at the 8 week mark, which is much earlier than I expected it.

My hair stylist can see some new growth already, but I am still shedding.

I am taking Biotin, folate, using Nioxin Shampoo and praying to the follicle gods to make it stop!

I honestly can't give you time frames...it seems like the hair was falling out just after surgery... I probably noticed it a few weeks after...and then started taking Biotin...don't know if that helped, or it has just been over time; but my hair is back to normal and been that way for quite awhile... sorry that I can't be more specific

My hair started falling out a about month 3 and lasted about 6 months. I have pretty long, thick, curly, color treated hair. I took Biotin before surgery and continued until about a year out. It fell out mostly from the top, but was not noticeable to anyone but me and my hair dresser. Regrowth started right away and was more annoying for me, since the new hair was short and stuck straight up on the top of my head. That is getting much better. No real complaints from me, I was lucky. Overall I feel my hair is healthier, but I am taking Vitamins religiously. the years leading up to surgery I was not.

I am 6 months and my hair started falling out aroud 3.5 months. In the beginning it was kind of shocking. I would run my fingers though my hair and a clump would come out. I have long hair and very thick. I tried not to stress about it. I figured I used to use a thinning sheer 2 times a year to thin out my hair so really it would be about the same. I am 6 months now and it has slowed a lot. Not coming out in clumps. I have a lot in the brush but like others I started shampooing my hair every 3 days and braided it so it would not gert tangled. I also let it dry naturrally. Brushing it while it is wet seemed to make the hair come out more. So now slowing down at 6 months. Hope to be done shedding soon. ^_^

I have a question beside Biotin what supplements did every one use to help with Hair loss.< /p>

I haven't had surgery yet, hopefully in April. I have heard great reviews about hairfinity. I started taking them along with my Iron, B-12, vit D,zinc, and women one a day Multi Vitamins. ..I have thin hair already. .doing everything possible to not lowering much hair after surgery. .I have been taking them for a few months. ..keeping fingers crossed. Not only for approval from insurance company, but also to not become bald...lol