Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op type 1s?

How are all of you doing now? I'm also T1 on an insulin pump, taking Metformin and Victoza (I think I'm a Type 1.5 now) and thinking of getting sleeved but I'm not sure about the highs/lows. My A1C is amazing right now...it's 7 :D but my weight has been the same for the past year...can't lose weight regardless of what diet, meds, anything I do

So frustrated :(

All is still well. I take under a unit an hour all day and night. The low amount of insulin limits my hunger and allows me to lose the weight I had accumulated. Having the sleeve was the best thing I have ever done.

All is still well. I take under a unit an hour all day and night. The low amount of insulin limits my hunger and allows me to lose the weight I had accumulated. Having the sleeve was the best thing I have ever done.

Thanks for the update Teachamy!

Another question for you...how was the pain? And how long did it take to heal since healing takes forever....and be up and about? Can you still see the scars?

I've gotten my gallbladder taken out years ago and remember how painful it was and don't want to feel like that again. I don't have much pain tolerance anymore :(

I'm THISCLOSE in making an appointment because I think this is what I need for my diabetes and PCOS, but still hesitating.

Thanks for the update Teachamy!

Another question for you...how was the pain? And how long did it take to heal since healing takes forever....and be up and about? Can you still see the scars?

I've gotten my gallbladder taken out years ago and remember how painful it was and don't want to feel like that again. I don't have much pain tolerance anymore :(

I'm THISCLOSE in making an appointment because I think this is what I need for my diabetes and PCOS, but still hesitating.

I am on about a unit an hour now. Was on a range of 2-4 units an hour and on 1 unit to come down 20 points and 1 unit for 5 carbs. I now takev1 for 10 carbs. My sugars haven't gone nearly as high as they used to although I did hit 404 last night. I had a bad site. Anyway, 3.4 units brought me from 404 to 52. I was shocked.

As for post op pain mine was pretty high. I don't want that to discourage you. I had the band in 2009 then had it removed in 2013. I think my pain was because they used 4 of the same entry points so I have a lot of scar tissue built up. I always tell people the first three days after surgery are the worst. But just a week post op my sugars were stable and I was able to walk 2 miles. It was an incredible transformation.

Jencovi--My correction dose went from 1:50- 1:100. Crazy how insulin resistance just disappears, isn't it? :)

Bluesclues--I didn't have much pain at all. I threw out my pain pills when I got home.I was exhausted for several weeks, but I gave myself the time I needed to rest, and I was feeling pretty close to normal in terms of stamina about a month after surgery.I could've gone back to work about a week after surgery if necessary, but I was able to get the time off. I healed fine. I do still have the scars, but they won't be visible eventually. I am patient about that.

Amy

Thank you ladies for all the info!

I am also a t1 on a pump and cgm, and i am expecting to be sleeved some time in october. i am concerned about lows, but not so much since reading all your comments. mostly i am concerned about healing, because i'm definitely a slow healer.

did any of you have any conversations with your surgeon about this? do you feel you were on a slower track healing than the other non-pwd on this site?

I am also a t1 on a pump and cgm, and i am expecting to be sleeved some time in october. i am concerned about lows, but not so much since reading all your comments. mostly i am concerned about healing, because i'm definitely a slow healer. did any of you have any conversations with your surgeon about this? do you feel you were on a slower track healing than the other non-pwd on this site?

I spoke to my PCP and he's sending me to a Bariatric doctor for follow up (got surgery in Mexico) and I'm going to see my endo soon. I've had more highs then lows. It's weird. If I follow what the carb amount is on a label, I go up to 200s. I have to bolus extra and I'm fine. I switched the carb ratio so hopefully that'll help. I'm still taking 1 glucophage pill a day and have cut down in daily intake of insulin.

Jessiquol,

In terms of healing, I imagine it depends a great deal on you blood sugar range. You will need to see your endo./CDE, whoever helps you with your control. Healing was perfectly normal for me, no issues.

I am type 1 diabetic. I am meeting with a surgeon to discuss the sleeve. I have had diabetes for 38 years, I am 40 years old. I have a BMI in the high 30's which along with the diabetes make me a candidate for the sleeve. I am constantly hungry and I am wondering if any of you had major hunger issues prior to the sleeve and if the sleeve lessened or eliminated always feeling hungry? Also, those of you that have had the sleeve for a while. What does a meal at dinner time consist of? I am curious as to how small my stomach will be compared to what it is now.

Thanks in advance!

Christie

Hi All,

I am a type 1 diabetic on the T:slim. I just recently had VSG and created a group on Facebook. Please join this group to help educate, support and inform each other about living life with Type 1 Diabetes and the Gastric Sleeve. Even if you are considering the gastric sleeve, please join us! The more the merrier!!!

Christie

Type 1 Diabetes & The Gastric Sleeve

https://www.facebook.com/groups/340677646112907/

I'm a type 1 (26 years) also currently waiting on a kidney and pancreas transplant wait list. I'm currently taking all of the classes etc to have the sleeve and I'm really scared about low blood sugars. I know I will have them and I currently have them at least once a day but I'm more scared about not being able to recover from one before I pass out. I have a history of passing out from lows. Are there any type 1's that would like to stay in touch and tell me more details about their lows, how they recovered etc? You don't have to worry about scaring me either. Thank you!!

Malina

Edited by Malina
missing word

I'm a type 1 (26 years) also currently waiting on a kidney and pancreas transplant wait list. I'm currently taking all of the classes etc to have the sleeve and I'm really scared about low blood sugars. I know I will have them and I currently have them at least once a day but I'm more scared about not being able to recover from one before I pass out. I have a history of passing out from lows. Are there any type 1's that would like to stay in touch and tell me more details about their lows, how they recovered etc? You don't have to worry about scaring me either. Thank you!!
Malina

Hi Malina!
Looks like your post is from several months ago. I’m type 1. Had surgery on Nov 1, so just post-op. How are you doing?? Would love to chat!!
Andi

Hi Andi! I'm doing great! I have had lots of lows but not any really bad ones since surgery and my a1c has dropped 1 point to a 6.7. I will say when I do have a low they feel completely different then before so I have to be careful. I have also found when I do have a low below 65 I usually have to to a glucagon injection instead of food or drink because I feel do sick to drink. I have lost almost 50 pounds without working out. I have got to start working out!! How are you doing? I had my surgery on July 25th so I haven't been doing this for a really long time but if you have any questions I may be able to help. Also tell me more about yourself! How long have you been a type 1?

Hi Andi! I'm doing great! I have had lots of lows but not any really bad ones since surgery and my a1c has dropped 1 point to a 6.7. I will say when I do have a low they feel completely different then before so I have to be careful. I have also found when I do have a low below 65 I usually have to to a glucagon injection instead of food or drink because I feel do sick to drink. I have lost almost 50 pounds without working out. I have got to start working out!! How are you doing? I had my surgery on July 25th so I haven't been doing this for a really long time but if you have any questions I may be able to help. Also tell me more about yourself! How long have you been a type 1?

Hey!
I’ve been Type 1 for 40 years. Last A1C was 7.1. Hoping it improves by the next time it’s tested. Just a few days post-op, I find that I’m really sore, quite tired, and full of gas (ugh)! Worried about lows when I can’t eat much, as that makes treating more complicated. Where are you from? I’m in Michigan.