Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restriction - vets please answer

First, let me say since this site has changed...I have not been on here a daily basis like I was prior to the changes, so therefore, I know I probably need to post this question elsewhere, but it is 1:30 AM...and I honestly don't feel like trying to figure out where...so please - no negative responses on the location of my question from the sleeve cheerleaders, please. All I can say is I am sorry if this is posted in the 'wrong' place...I just need some help from helpful veterans.

Second and most importantly, here is my question...I am a little over 10 months out...even though my hunger has not returned...I have NO feeling of restriction now...so how do I get it back, or do I??? At the beginning, I felt tremendous restriction, even pain. Then, it subsided to very, very strong restriction with the burps, the odd noises, etc. Now, at about the eighth and 1/2 month mark, all of that has subsided....I could eat as much right now as before...I know my body. I mean, right now I am not eating out of control, but I could I can feel the difference. I mean, I could eat an entire pizza, a can of cake icing, a package of Cookies...I mean, those are not my favorites or my weaknesses, but I am trying to be clear on how much I know I could sit down at one sitting and eat right now.

My fear is when the hunger returns (which it is bound to eventually) along with the lack of feeling of restriction...that will be a deadly combination for me...I will gain it all back and then some...so how do I get the restriction feeling back? I mean, I know it would ease somewhat, but I thought one of the effects of the surgery is that some restriction would always remain...I can't wait to see my surgeon on my year visit to ask her some tough questions! Any advice? tips on what to do?

I would go to your surgeon earlier than that. There could be something structurally wrong with your sleeve. Some people develop a dilation at the top that can hold more food.

But I guess first, how much lean Protein can you eat? How many ounces of chicken? How much cottage cheese?

HMMM.. Only thing I can say on that is my surgeon said to me at the beginning.. " Im providing you with a tool to fix the problem.. What you do with this tool is totally up to you" basically warning me lifestyle change and it can come back if you let it. So i thnk you have to get on a mindset that is not instant magic and its up to you and your support staff. I wish you the best of luck with this.. Im only 7 months out but i have lost total close to 200lbs in 9 or so months. Please try and take on that mindset of it being a tool but its up to you no matter what

Chris

I am 14 months out. If I eat Protein being chicken, beef, pork I get full with 3-4 ounces. If I eat other things I can eat a lot more. It is up to us to continue to eat correctly for the rest of our lives. But no way can I consume anything close to what I ate pre sleeve. You need to call drs office and talk to the nutritionalist.

I can eat more than I want to be able to - probably at least a cup of food, maybe more depending on what it is. At 13 months out, my restriction is not what it was at 2 months, 6 months, or 9. I also know I THINK I can eat more than I really can. While I'm not suggesting you eat in the quantities you mentioned, have you actually done that? (I hate to admit it, but a time or two I just let myself eat what I wanted, and I was surprised that it wasn't as much as I thought I could). There is a cottage cheese test that you can do to help figure out your actual capacity, which might help give you some perspective.

Someone on these boards once said to me "just because you, doesn't mean you should". Obvious, right? But it stuck with me, so I don't rely solely on restriction. I also have to weigh and measure my food to keep thing in correct portions.

As for getting your restriction back, I don't know the answer to that. In my case, I've found that when I intentionally decrease my intake to small amounts for a few days, the restriction does seem to improve for me. All along it seemed like there were some days I felt more restriction than others for no apparent reason. Also, starting with dense Protein is sort of the only "magic bullet" I've found. It really does help to decrease my intake. I tried the 5:2 a little, and after a fast day, my restriction seemed better. Lately I've been restricting intake to just 8 hours a day, and that really seems to increase restriction for me.

So, regardless of my capacity, I still have had to change my habits in order to be successful. If I relied on that, I'd still weigh 305 pounds because we can all snack on calorie dense food all day, never feel full, and pack on the pounds.

I'd also suggest discussing this with your team. They may be able to give you some other perspective.

Thank you for your responses.

No, I have definitely not eaten the things I mentioned. However, I have eaten 'bad' on occasion in the past ten months. Thus, I know I could eat a huge amount- no embellishing. I am going to live life, and that on occasion - to me - means on special occasions not eating diet/healthy foods. I make good choices the majority of the time, so therefore, I don't understand not feeling any restriction at all. I mean, on one hand, I feel more like myself & more normal eating/drinking normally, but I do not want to have gone through all this to turn around & gain it back.

I went into this knowing it was one tool out of a whole toolbox set I would have to use to lose weight, but I was informed that there would always be some restriction from my surgeon. I see my surgeon on the 1 year. All the other visits I have only seen like a NP or dietician. So, I will be talking straight to my surgeon soon. I hope I haven't developed any problems. I haven't had any (knock on wood) except dehydration at the beginning and the hair loss from hell. What do they do if it is the dilation thing that was mentioned here???

Protein ...I still do one shake per day, but then, the rest of my Protein comes from food. I get in about 70 or so grams. I feel no difference with whatever food choice I make. Healthy or not - everything goes down easily now & I feel nothing.

I will read up on this 5:2 (I've seen it posted, but never really read about it to know what to do)

Again, thanks for the words of advice & tips. I appreciate it.

How many ounces of chicken can you eat at a time before you are too full for another bite? It's worth a test to see how much restriction you really have. If you are testing it with sliders it doesn't really count.

I can eat two pieces of grilled chicken in one sitting & feel fine...I have salad & green Beans, also, in that sitting.

That's still a reasonably small serve. I bet you could eat a 10-ounce steak before surgery. I can eat about 2.5 ounces of chicken plus some veggies if it's cooked right, and I consider my restriction to be great. I'm 8.5 months post-op.

I'm not sure I understand. You said you have no restriction but that you can only eat up to 4 oz of chicken. Heck, I can eat more than that. ;) it sounds like your restriction is just fine to me. Sliders can be eaten in much larger quantities. Am I not understanding correctly? I'm very curious, since I'm 13 months post op now and others' level of restriction is interesting to me because I compare it to my own.