Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

Monday is the big day and I'm seriously freaking out!! I'm trying not to think about it but I just can't help it... I was fine with the thought of surgery before I had a date, now I'm not so sure...It's gonna be a stressful 5 days! HELP PLEASE!!

you are not alone...there are MANY people on this forum that felt like that... I don't remember that feeling, to tell you the truth, I know I was anxious to have it done... best thing EVER! With it being laproscopic now, it's less time on the table and better for you all together. The benefits from this tool are IMMENSE... just remember you are not alone... it is surgery after all... we are here for you! Take care, good luck and get ready for a new life!

Every time your mind wants to take you down a dark path, think of the things you will be able to do after you have this surgery. Focus on the reasons why you chose to have the surgery and what you want to do when you have reached your goal. You can do it! Good luck to you!!!

I remember exactly the feeling of freaking out before the surgery. Surgery was a Tuesday. Saturday was a very, very difficult day. Was I doing the right thing? Had I chosen the right surgery? Was I going to be one of the deaths on the table? I have no husband or children. If I died, would I soon be forgotten as that fat woman who died because she didn't have will power to lose weight...

I got rather morose, to say the least. Tuesday came around. Had the surgery. Never regretted since. I am so happy you are going through with it. Take a deep breath and move on. Good luck.

Thank you....I'm alot calmer now... ;) I'm sure this uneasy feeling will come and go till Monday..

Thank you....I'm alot calmer now... ;) I'm sure this uneasy feeling will come and go till Monday..

My surgery is still a month away and I've been freaking out every since I got my surgery date.... I've been through a few abdominal surgeries, so I kind of know what to expect as far as that goes... but... I'm so anxious about the whole stomach part! Thank you for your post... made me feel normal!

I don't know how much this will help, but I can tell you that my surgery was exactly 10 days ago and I feel great! I got off of the pain meds last weekend knowing that I would be back to work this week and although I still have a slight dull ache in my left side, Tylenol does just fine for me. I am truly amazed at how this process has changed my entire outlook on life. In the short span of 10 days I have HOPE in my life again! My entire outlook has changed and nothing seems impossible like it did just a handful of months ago. I'm the girl who hates exercise, and I am exercising! Me! I know I'm on a pink cloud right now, and there are up's and down's I have yet to encounter...but today I know I can cope with those issues without using food to numb my feelings and eat my way into a dark cesspool of negativity and remorse. It is such a relief!

Try focusing on gathering the things you'll need for the hospital and getting packed. Make a list of everything you need to do before you go into surgery and go about the business of getting each one done. Make sure you have the items you'll need when you get home in stock. Get the house cleaned up, make up some sheets on the computer to track your liquids, medications and Vitamin intake (unless already provided by your doctor), clear off your nightstand so you'll have room for your spirometer, your liquids and your pain meds and tie up any loose ends with your family, kids or job. Make a plan as to how you will get your 30 minutes of walking in post-op (i.e. do you have a treadmill? will you walk around the house or go outside etc.?)

Then simply sit back, close your eyes and visualize yourself going through the surgery and waking up in your recovery room with no complications. Know that you'll be uncomfortable, but only for a very short time. The nurses will be there to administer medication when you hurt, and once they do get out of bed, grab your IV pole, put on your slippers and walk the halls as soon as you can and as often as you can. Imagine yourself a week out feeling great and ready to begin your new life. Visualization techniques can be very powerful tools.

You GOT this!!!

It's major surgery, but one with fewer risks.

Bet on a routine recovery.

And if you are like me, take comfort in the fact that only the good die young... :-)

<p>I don't know how much this will help, but I can tell you that my surgery was exactly 10 days ago and I feel great! I got off of the pain meds last weekend knowing that I would be back to work this week and although I still have a slight dull ache in my left side, Tylenol does just fine for me. I am truly amazed at how this process has changed my entire outlook on life. In the short span of 10 days I have HOPE in my life again! My entire outlook has changed and nothing seems impossible like it did just a handful of months ago. I'm the girl who hates exercise, and I am exercising! Me! I know I'm on a pink cloud right now, and there are up's and down's I have yet to encounter...but today I know I can cope with those issues without using food to numb my feelings and eat my way into a dark cesspool of negativity and remorse. It is such a relief!</p> <p> </p> <p>Try focusing on gathering the things you'll need for the hospital and getting packed. Make a list of everything you need to do before you go into surgery and go about the business of getting each one done. Make sure you have the items you'll need when you get home in stock. Get the house cleaned up, make up some sheets on the computer to track your liquids, medications and Vitamin intake (unless already provided by your doctor), clear off your nightstand so you'll have room for your spirometer, your liquids and your pain meds and tie up any loose ends with your family, kids or job. Make a plan as to how you will get your 30 minutes of walking in post-op (i.e. do you have a treadmill? will you walk around the house or go outside etc.?)</p> <p> </p> <p>Then simply sit back, close your eyes and visualize yourself going through the surgery and waking up in your recovery room with no complications. Know that you'll be uncomfortable, but only for a very short time. The nurses will be there to administer medication when you hurt, and once they do get out of bed, grab your IV pole, put on your slippers and walk the halls as soon as you can and as often as you can. Imagine yourself a week out feeling great and ready to begin your new life. Visualization techniques can be very powerful tools.</p> <p> </p> <p>You GOT this!!!</p>

Love this.

It's major surgery, but one with fewer risks.

Bet on a routine recovery.

And if you are like me, take comfort in the fact that only the good die young... :-)

lol....and yes, I do find comfort in that..

Edited by Lindarella