Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 11 days post op and I still crave all those fatty foods.

I'm 11 days post op and I still crave all those fatty foods.

That stinks. You hear so much about people not wanting anything at all and then the flip side where they crave and are hungry. It's a crap shoot.

I can eat almost anything. Although.. I suffer with fried stuff and spicy stuff.

I didn't have a food funeral per se. All I did, was the night before surgery, I had a bit of pizza, a couple of chicken strippers and a full fat coke.

(Before people say 'whooooaaaa' - my surgery was not until 19:00hrs the next day and that was my last bit of food)

I thought I was going to mourn lasagne. I certainly did for the first 6 weeks. Then I had some. Without the Pasta. It was delicious. I had three mouthfuls and was done. Served with a bit of salad? I was happy as anything.

I, too, am a carb addict. Missing the garlic bread was/is, well, painful. But.. You can still have garlic bread. Just a couple of mouthfuls for the flavour. However, with how little you can fit in and the carb-high it gives you (then the sugar crash and then the obligatory cravings), you realise its just not worth it and you end up lusting after the right stuff anyway. I'm sure that'll change for me when my sleeve loses a bit of its restriction. However, right now, I feel deprived of nothing and I'm elated about that.

Don't think that everything is out of reach - it isn't. However, to those of you who LOVE the sliders now (ice cream/chips), you're going to have to be EXTREMELY careful of those in the future. That be where grave danger lies..... :blink:

I've been trying to figure out what I want my last meal to be and so far I'm a little disappointed in my lack of imagination.

I want a butterfinger and a coke (or 2) but after that I can't come up with much other than I think I should have some good bread since that will be unlikely for sometime following surgery.

I've been trying not to have too many food funerals because it makes it harder. Instead i've tried to find replacements or healthier ways to make the foods i love. Like i make zucchini lasagna. It's so, so, good. It has everything that real lasagna does except noodles. I used ground turkey meat, canned tomatos, low fat cheese, garlic and thin sliced zucchini in lieu of Pasta and OMG even my carnivore husband and dad were scrsping the bowl and looking for seconds and thirds. It smells so, so good. I get my replacement recipes from pintrest and various blogs.

The only thing i've truly had to give up and can't find a replacement for is soda. Tonight we went to my favorite restaurant and got a carry out and I really missed walking to the 7 eleven next door and grabbing a cherry come to chug with my food,

Edited by Comfy_Blue

Yummy!!! Sounds very interesting. I'll have to try that. We made pizza with cauliflower crust and it was delish.

Such a good thread and so very timely as I've been thinking about this a lot this week. (It's like you read my mind SupperFatty)! I have my last apt 2/14 and then will submit to ins and get a date. So, being a ways out still, I'm delaying the beginning of The End. I've lost 18 so far. I haven't had a real coke in months. I've cheated (eaten carbs) a few times but you REALLY do feel bad after (funny how detoxing from sugars and starches makes you realize how bad those foods make you feel). But still, a piece of Jett's pizza, lasagna, garlic bread, Japanese Steakhouse, Pasta - I'd like to give those a proper goodbye - even if temporary. Pizza is SUCH a trigger food for me. Very hard to imagine eating that in slow moderation. I don't miss the coke or chips or sweets or even fast food which is a miracle! But pizza? I pray I'm one of those who never looks back at it. When do you start funerals? My doc doesn't do preop liquids except for 2days before. I'd really like to lose 6 pounds before surgery. Feels bad to blow it just to have "excessive" food funerals. The food addict in me wants to go get a pizza and sit in my car, alone, and eat it one last time. But my brain is already stronger. Maybe a pice or two.....

I'm totally having food funerals. But I'm

Not binging or eating more than I did before I decided to go on this journey. But for the most part, I won't be eating most of the food I do now, for a loooooooong time, if ever. I'm having WLS to change my life, and that means losing most of the crap I eat now. I won't miss it, and as of now, the only thing I think I'll look forward to eat someday is pizza. Maybe a little Mac and cheese. But I've been eating my "favorite" things for dinner. Things that are fried and terrible for you (ha!) because I'm not going to let myself eat that shit later. I'm doing to to change the way I view/eat food. The crap I eat now got me fat. I'm not going to go back to it. I won't deprive myself, but I'm definitely gonna change my life.

I did the same, guys, and found it entirely unnecessary...I am six weeks out and can eat almost anything I did before the surgery...except terribly spicy food (I learned that the hard way).

My tastes have changed, I absolutely do not crave the fatty, salty stuff...but I don't miss it either...

Best of luck to you all :-)

Well I hope I certainly don't crave and like you. I think that would complete the success.

I am a carboholic - most of my food funerals were carby foods.

I used to love sitting down to a fresh, crusty baguette and butter or a big bowl of Pasta with a great sauce. I loved sweets - chocolate was like a drug to me. pizza was a go-to meal for our family - 1-2 times per week.

Since surgery, I'm indifferent to bread - some days I will have 1/2 of a piece of rye bread with my Breakfast, but don't finish it. I tried a bite of raspberry croissant the other day and gave the rest to my son because I didn't enjoy it (those words would have never been uttered pre-surgery!!!). I tried pizza the other night and while it tasted good, it made me feel bad. I enjoy making my own pizza with a carb balance tortilla shell and pizza toppings now.

Those food funerals I had before surgery hold a different meaning now that I'm 10 weeks post-op. While going thru the food funerals I was really thinking about the perceived deprivation I was going to go thru post-op. Now I look at them thru a different eye - I realize that the carbs had a control over me, the more bad carbs I ate, the more I needed them and more of them.

I've detoxed in a way - ridding my dependence on those bad carbs makes me feel better physically, makes my mind sharper and frees up all those calories for good fuel for my body.

Funny but I've really never liked being forced to do something so I had this thing I would do to put myself in the drivers seat. I would start whatever it was a day early as my "choice" and therefore felt in control.

So I wouldn't load up on carbs the day before and be "forced" to pre-op the next day. I need control before hand.

Good luck whatever your "choice'

I have thought about how to handle this. I wonder if I should try to detox from those foods in the weeks before surgery to kick those habits before the surgery takes place. If maybe that will help with the head hunger and cravings after surgery? I would hate to deal with the detox of the carbs and recovery at the same time but I'm not sure if my addict self will detach from those things before hand. I have a few months at least before I need to make a decision but it is something that is floating around up there in my head these days.

I figure my 2 week liquid diet is detox enough for me. Lol. But I'm not so much just a carb lover. I'm an equal opportunity food lover. Lolz

I figure my 2 week liquid diet is detox enough for me. Lol. But I'm not so much just a carb lover. I'm an equal opportunity food lover. Lolz

I like that. Equal opportunity lover!!!!

My last big meals before pre-op diet were pizza and Chinese buffet. I know in a couple of months I'll be able to pizza again in moderation, not really missing the buffet since the only reason for going was cause it was cheap and could eat till I felt like I was going to explode