Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dear Veterans, has your hunger returned?

Has your hunger returned?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. 18+ Months Post Op, How is Your Hunger?

• Yes, WORSE than pre-surgery.
    • Yes, THE SAME as it was pre-surgery.
    • Yes, but a LITTLE LESS than pre-surgery.
    • Yes, but MUCH LESS than pre-surgery.
    • NO, I have not felt any hunger since surgery.
    • I'm not sure.

Hello Veterans!

I'm looking for responses from Veterans about 18 Months + Post Op. The reason for the time frame is because a lot of times (including myself) we can go a long time without feeling hunger. Then one day a long way down the road it just returns. I was around 2 years out when I finally realized I was feeling actual hunger! Growling stomach and wanted to chew my arm off.

I feel hunger after about 3-4 hours after no matter how or what I've eaten in my last meal. i.e. high protein/lower carb... etc. Of course the hunger is worse or faster setting if I eat something high in carbs.

Well... my hunger never went away to begin with, so my answer isn't quite as useful! I am just over 18 months out. I've had the exact same level of hunger from day 3 post surgery to today, which was unchanged from prior to surgery. I would say that in some ways it was a benefit, because there wasn't a time where I had to struggle with hunger returning. However it made the weight loss phase very hard as I had the sensation that I was starving myself, whereas most people don't feel the hunger in that time. Perhaps six of one, half dozen of the other!

My hunger went away for approximately 24 hrs post op then came back as normal. So I've really never lost it. BUT, it's totally still doable even with hunger (which I find important and useful).

I am 15 months post op. I get hungry, with stomach growl and all, but unlike preop, if I drink some Water, I can satisfy that hunger usually for another one to two hours. I really only had about 2-3 months where I wasn't hungry at all.

I get hungry. I can't remember when it first came back, but I do recall how little it took to satisfy hunger at first. Now, if I'm truly hungry, I have to have some Protein and a little carb. If I'm busy, I sometimes forget to eat, but that was true pre-op too. I can get laser focused on something and then realize I've been on it for hours without looking up. Generally, I get up at 6 or 7 and eat something by 10 am latest. If I eat earlier, I have a little snack, such as a soy latte or a piece of fruit before lunch. I eat lunch by 2. Small snack in the afternoon, dinner by 7, and another snack before bed.

Lynda

I'm 2 1/2 years out and my hunger never returned. I feel empty but not hungry. Head hunger has been a battle this last year and I have less restriction and less discomfort when full. Had dumping and lactose intolerance but both seem to be gone.

Irene,

ABSOLUTELY! I am now 2 years 2 months out. I get growling stomach, and I can eat so much more. I am 5'10" and have read here and there my sleeve is longer thereby it does not fill up as much. I still do not drink with food or after until my 30 minutes are up. Thus, I have gained from my lowest weight 20 lbs. I think it was more but got discouraged and stopped getting on the scale. Then one day, I said..."self, knock it off you must get back". Well, I have lost a whopping like 3 lbs from when I started weighing again. I have been trying the 5:2, but man 500-550 cals is not much anymore. I am hungry. I think for me next step is make some vege Soup, I think Kim said something about this in another post, and keep that around for when I start growling, so I do not say oh the heck with it.

I have not gotten to goal, for that I am sad. I just wanted to reach that one time in my life. I am not trying to be rail thin, just 170 lbs. I am 37 lbs away. I remember you talking about your jeans and getting into like a size 2 or 0.. And you drank a LOT of Water.. It was amazing, but honestly I think something happens to our bodies for some of us....I wish I was not hungry :(

thanks for coming back :)

Oh my goodness! I just lost my entire post. I hate that. :(

What I was saying is that my solid meals only last between 2-3 hours when I would prefer they lasted 4-5 hours in between. Brittu, you're so lucky! I wish my hunger had never come back.

Right now I can comfortably eat 2-4 oz of Protein depending on the density, a small serving of veggies and small serving of carbs. I can never drink with my meals, it actually makes me feel sick and bloated.

It's so tough for me because I cannot burn off extra calories via workouts like I once could. I'm in a constant state of flux because in order for me to lose I have to eat less and that is so difficult when I'm hungry all the time.

HC, I'm very glad to be back in the fold. I need the support that is offered here! You all are the best on the Planet when it comes to that. Taking a break did not serve me well. I thought it would but much to the contrary.

I know I'll be fine and in time I'll be back in those ZERO's!! Hallelujah! I actually forgot about that. That was the best feeling. I never EVER imagined I'd fit in that size. See? I need this place! :D

Also, I seen a thread around here for those struggling with 5:2 and to try the 8 hour diet. It sound way more doable to me. 500 calories is just... way too little. At least for me. :blink:

What's interesting is that no hunger didn't mean no weight gain for me. I'm up 22lbs and I'm pretty sure the twin culprits were not eating Protein first and constant snacking. Jenny Craig is going well this week - helping with the head hunger because I'm eating plenty and have options for snacking. I'm going to add 5:2 to my program next week. It'll give me something to look forward to and another variant to keep the weight loss going.

Funny that I lost 20lbs when I was a teenager on something called "the bread diet". I lived in the Cook Islands at the time and it was popular there and in New Zealand. Every other day you just ate whole grain bread. I always knew I could eat again the next day so it was manageable. If I'm able to get down to my goal weight with JC and 5:2 then I think I'll just keep going with 5:2, Protein first, and limited snacking.

It was so great being at goal weight. I really, really want that feeling back. Plus I want the reconstructive plastic surgery on my ugly legs and I can only do that when I get this weight off.

Well said brittu, I agree the hunger shouldnt have so much to do with gain. I went through a bitter mental battle with myself when I couldn't workout the way I was accustomed to anymore. I froze up and didnt do what I COULD! I have turned a corner now and learning how to retrain my body for alternate workouts.

How do you like JC? Its a bit expensive but if its worth it then I might want to go for it. :)

What's interesting is that no hunger didn't mean no weight gain for me. I'm up 22lbs and I'm pretty sure the twin culprits were not eating Protein first and constant snacking. Jenny Craig is going well this week - helping with the head hunger because I'm eating plenty and have options for snacking. I'm going to add 5:2 to my program next week. It'll give me something to look forward to and another variant to keep the weight loss going.

Funny that I lost 20lbs when I was a teenager on something called "the bread diet". I lived in the Cook Islands at the time and it was popular there and in New Zealand. Every other day you just ate whole grain bread. I always knew I could eat again the next day so it was manageable. If I'm able to get down to my goal weight with JC and 5:2 then I think I'll just keep going with 5:2, Protein first, and limited snacking.

It was so great being at goal weight. I really, really want that feeling back. Plus I want the reconstructive plastic surgery on my ugly legs and I can only do that when I get this weight off.

I like Jenny Craig quite a bit. I have a premium membership from pre-bariatric surgery so I only pay for the food. It's $130 week which didn't seem bad to me at all. I'll be bringing that down by moving to 5:2 and by using my own breakfasts. I had their Cereal this morning and it only had 3 grams of Protein and I can get the WonderSlim kind with a lot more and it tastes better too. I actually like Nutrisystem food, there are more choices, and the usual frozen foods from the grocery, but I really need that weekly weigh-in. With JC it's nice to know I'm eating real food 4-5 times a day. The portion sizes on some foods are too big so I split it up. I'm using My Fitness Pal to track - the JC tracker has too many steps. I can also accomodate off plan food eating without "cheating" (like I had 10 pistacios and 3 potato chips yesterday and just wrote them down and then worked around them calorie-wise).

Thats really helpful info, thanks. I've asked others and have gotten similar response. If the food is tasty and filling then it is definitely worth the cost. :)

I like Jenny Craig quite a bit. I have a premium membership from pre-bariatric surgery so I only pay for the food. It's $130 week which didn't seem bad to me at all. I'll be bringing that down by moving to 5:2 and by using my own breakfasts. I had their cereal this morning and it only had 3 grams of Protein and I can get the Wonderslim kind with a lot more and it tastes better too. I actually like Nutrisystem food, there are more choices, and the usual frozen foods from the grocery, but I really need that weekly weigh-in. With JC it's nice to know I'm eating real food 4-5 times a day. The portion sizes on some foods are too big so I split it up. I'm using My Fitness Pal to track - the JC tracker has too many steps. I can also accomodate off plan food eating without "cheating" (like I had 10 pistacios and 3 potato chips yesterday and just wrote them down and then worked around them calorie-wise).

Hunger has definitely returned! I noticed it around 2 years post-op (now I'm 3+) but I do have to say it really rears it's ugly head when I eat carbs. So *if* I'm on plan and eating mostly Protein and veggies it stays much more in check.

And interesting side effect for me of doing the 5:2 is that is GREATLY reduces my hunger. It also cuts out my snacking and, for me personally (maybe my other 5:2 sisters also) the effects of the lower hunger and less desire to snack carry over from a fast day to feast day.

I rarely get hungry. Occasionally, I will get hungry but it's only if I haven't eaten in a long time. I am more hungry in the morning. I do eat low carb and that is supposed to take hunger away, according to Dr. Atkins. It seems to work for me.