Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back to work! But Burping/hiccuping after eating?

So today was my first day back to work after 3 weeks off and with how physical my job is I really don't think I was ready for the very busy day I had. How long has everyone else taken off from work? At one point I made myself sit down and I heated up some Soup and had some. I am noticing however that after I eat or drink I am burping or get the hiccups frequently. At work today I had a little mini burp after having some soup in front of a coworker who of course didn't say anything but I couldn't even control it and I was embarrassed! It was like it came from down under! Does anyone else expire nice this or know what it might mean? I try to eat very slow and it was soup!

From the 1st day after surgery I find I hiccup if I take too big of a swallow of something. I learned to slow down, but will still hiccup if I drink too much too fast or when my sleeve is full. If I take 1-2 swallows after I hiccup, I can almost feel the overflow and I don't feel so good for awhile. I have a good friend who has a lap band and she said she hiccups when she's "done".

It's your sign to stop eating. I would get the hiccups and then later a runny nose, both signs for me to stop eating.

I went back to work today and they made me go home. I didn't have a work release and my doctor wouldn't give me one because I haven't had my follow up apt yet. Ugh needless to say my boss is not happy with me.

See depending on what I'm eating it happens immediately. However, I bought these plastic storage containers that are four ounces each and I noticed I have been doing way more than four ounces depending on if it was a liquid like Soup. I was using my liquid Protein cup as an eye ball to how much I should be eating and it was way off! I'm correcting this now.

I asked my drs PA to go back to work. They had me off for another week but I didn't have any more paid time off from work so I figured I could suck it up and go back and man I'm hurting from it. I might have to get something note wise for "light duty" if that's even possible with my job.

I went back to work in 10 days. I didn't have a problem with burping or hiccups but my stomach likes to talk a lot when eating. I try to eat alone if possible.

I was back to work 5 days after. The 1st week was a bit tough but after that everything is good. I get the hiccups when I drink Water too much too quickly. Some burps. Great thing for me is all my coworkers know and support me.

I worked from home the week after surgery. The first day was horrible. I was miserable after sitting at the computer for most of the day. The rest of the week I worked half days. Unfortunately, I had to go into the office a week after surgery for a meeting and to drop off work. Did a little to much walking. Learned my lesson and rested the rest of the week.

Went back to work full time 12 days after surgery. I have a desk job and my staff was absolutely awesome. They gave me a vase full of ice pops! One of the younger girls even cleaned the snow off my car for me one day.

I find that I burp if I take to big of a sip of liquid. I told everyone that it happens so to be prepared. LOL

See depending on what I'm eating it happens immediately. However, I bought these plastic storage containers that are four ounces each and I noticed I have been doing way more than four ounces depending on if it was a liquid like Soup. I was using my Liquid Protein cup as an eye ball to how much I should be eating and it was way off! I'm correcting this now. I asked my drs PA to go back to work. They had me off for another week but I didn't have any more paid time off from work so I figured I could suck it up and go back and man I'm hurting from it. I might have to get something note wise for "light duty" if that's even possible with my job.

I just ordered some 4oz glass storage bowls, with tight lids, on Amazon for that reason. I think my estimation skills suck! I measure most everything but when I take stuff to work, I'm not paying close enough attention.

After surgery your vagus nerve is very sensitive. When you start hiccuping, sneezing or get a runny nose you need to stop eating. You have hit that point of totally full and you shouldn't go any further. After some time you will begin to realize full before this happens but I still occasionally have this happen. :)

I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one who does ...:) I'm looking forward to the day when it doesn't feel like I have air I'm my tummy when I eat... And yes I do eat slowly and small bites. So I'm not sure why I feel like this, but I can tell you I do not look forward to meal times. It's so much easier to have a Protein Shake. Thinking about food...yuck! Nothing sounds good or tastes good. Anyone having these issues ? .... I went back to work after 5 weeks... But I'm 55 not a youngster .

I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one who does ... :) I'm looking forward to the day when it doesn't feel like I have air I'm my tummy when I eat... And yes I do eat slowly and small bites. So I'm not sure why I feel like this, but I can tell you I do not look forward to meal times. It's so much easier to have a Protein Shake. Thinking about food...yuck! Nothing sounds good or tastes good. Anyone having these issues ? .... I went back to work after 5 weeks... But I'm 55 not a youngster .

I'm 53 and still use Protein Drinks to make up the difference. I went through the same thing as you and eventually found some good recipes and went to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's to find some different alternatives for food. This is truly the key to finding new foods and keeping the choices different. I must admit however there are days when I eat very little because I just don't care about food that day. I am a carb addict so I stay totally away from carbs unless they are in my fruit or veggies. If you look up bento boxes and go to www.theworldaccordingtoeggface you can get some great lunch ideas and many other recipes and food ideas. Best wishes to you! :)

Edited by Beach Lover

I do vascular ultrasound in a hospital so I move stretchers and patients and lift and push and it's very physical. I'm better this week but last week was very rough.

Thanks for all the input on the burping/hiccuping. I still feel hungry tho once I start that. It's frustrating already. I gotta get this down!