Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why does excess weight make you look older?

I've been looking at pictures of myself and a lot of other people when they were morbidly obese and this question came to my mind. Losing a substantial amount of weight really makes one look younger and I have no idea why.

I feel in myself that losing a great deal of weight has made me look years older..Maybe it is because of what I went through I don't know. But I look in the mirror and see an old lady...Just a little younger then my mother and she is 80.....crap!

I always hear, "You look 10 years younger." I myself don't see that, yet I see it in others who have lost a significant amout of weight.......Goofy brain and even goofier self image!

I have never looked my age so I guess at 51 that is a good thing lol.

My husband says I look softer, whatever that means. Mrs. Winnie-the-Pooh had a hardness about her, perhaps. Or she was something of a linebacker. I am seriously happy to have gotten my stomach down and the jeans size is 14 long now instead of 18. Onward!

Oh, I just thought old = tired. Maybe when we lose weight we are less tired and we appear younger. Maybe it's a happiness thing. I am happier to be carrying less weight. That is hard work, hauling that around.

I'll be 40 this year but have always looked younger. But now I've been having ppl tell me I look 25-27 and some are family members that know my real age.

For me I think I'm healthier so my skin looks better. I'm also wearing make-up more often and even wearing more for "fun" instead of covering up circles under my eyes.

As for my hair, it's dry and brittle from hypothyroidism but I do try to style it more often than just pulling it back in a lackluster pony tail.

And for a third possible reason, the clothes I'm buying are trendier. Not cuz I'm trying to be trendy but cuz I'm finally shopping in "normal" sizes. I think we will all agree that plus size clothes can just be ugh.

There's often a bounce in my step and a smile on my face so I know those help too. So I'm all for looking younger :-)

I have always thought that you look younger with a little more plumpness in your face, I feel I look healthier the more weight I lose but not necessarily younger. I feel better in my skin when I am thinner.

I always think your skin looks better heavier. Your wrinkles dont show as much etc...just plumper and filled in..LOL!!

I definitely see my wrinkles and fine lines much more as I lose weight. DONT like it but like the number on the scale better!

This is the first thing I noticed on my sister too is her skin showed its wrinkles so much more after she started losing weight fast with GB...never told her that as she really issues with each birthday she has.

Just my opinion but while you will be better physically, your skin will show it more visually but my hope is that the skin will eventually will firm up a bit too :)

Fat fills out your wrinkles for sure. The lines in my face get deeper with every pound I lose. lol. But I do agree that you are able to dress more stylishly and usually after a big weight loss, take more interest in your appearance. That would make one look younger.

I guess wearing makeup does have something to do with it. I have never been a makeup person after I had my first child almost 20 years ago. Now that I'm smaller, I still don't wear makeup. Only on special occasions like when I'm taking pictures.

I have had so many people tell me that I look like I'm in my twenties and they too know that I'm 42. I'm just curious what is it that makes many of us look younger than before. I guess that's something I'll have to research.

I'll be 40 this year but have always looked younger. But now I've been having ppl tell me I look 25-27 and some are family members that know my real age.

For me I think I'm healthier so my skin looks better. I'm also wearing make-up more often and even wearing more for "fun" instead of covering up circles under my eyes.

As for my hair, it's dry and brittle from hypothyroidism but I do try to style it more often than just pulling it back in a lackluster pony tail.

And for a third possible reason, the clothes I'm buying are trendier. Not cuz I'm trying to be trendy but cuz I'm finally shopping in "normal" sizes. I think we will all agree that plus size clothes can just be ugh.

There's often a bounce in my step and a smile on my face so I know those help too. So I'm all for looking younger :-)

Interesting observations ladies. Something to definitely consider. Thanks for your responses.

Fat fills out your wrinkles for sure. The lines in my face get deeper with every pound I lose. lol. But I do agree that you are able to dress more stylishly and usually after a big weight loss, take more interest in your appearance. That would make one look younger.

Now how cool would it be if instead of Botox we could have that extra fat that always likes to linger in places like our inner thighs and aprons injected into those facial wrinkles after we reach our goal!

I had no wrinkles before losing weight and I am 42. People always think I am younger, and today after losing about 50 pounds I see wrinkles and I know more might be evident by time I am done but today I feel younger then my years and can put some extra zip into living.

Carrying around that toddler on my back (50 extra pounds) was defiantly slowing me down and cramping my style a bit. Sausage casings only look good on hotdog Buns in commercials :)

I'm a guy, so my experiences may differ....but I feel I look older when I look in the mirror. Before, I had that baby face, pudgy and always smiling. Now, I still smile, but I see lines where before there were none.

However, everyone around me says I look younger. I don't get it. I guess it matters what others think too, but I can't shake the feeling I look a decade older.

Interesting....one thing for sure....I FEEL 20 YEARS YOUNGER!!!!

Also, I observe other men my age....(62)....well, all I can say it's sad....

Interesting....one thing for sure....I FEEL 20 YEARS YOUNGER!!!!

Also, I observe other men my age....(62)....well, all I can say it's sad....

You look great!!! Definitely younger looking. :)