Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone here regret having VSG? What about unexpected changes?

I've heard people say that they regret not doing it sooner in the forums, but does anyone ever wish they didn't do it? Do you ever feel like you're missing out on something? I imagine Thankgiving is radically different, which I don't necessarily thing is a bad thing... I'm just wondering what things change that I haven't thought about. In place of eating, has anyone picked up any new hobbies? Is there anything that you wish you would have been better prepared for? Did anything change post-op that you didn't think about before doing the surgery?

One thing that is hard is controlling the kinds of food I eat............ Even though we're sleeved our fat brain still wants the bad foods and there's nothing stopping us from making that choice....... So even though we have this tool we still need to make healthy choices........ It's hard at times

Lots of people have regrets in the first month or if they experience complications. Other than that, most people do not seem to regret the surgery.

NONE!

I am so done with the way it/I used to be. I play the tape in my head of what it has been like emotionally, spiritually &physically for the last 10 years of being morbidly obese. I felt like I was missing out then, trapped,tired and miserable. I feel like I have a new lease on life now. So glad I did it. Gonna fill my time with travel,exercise,hang out with friends and family, go dancing with my husband and do fun things with my 10 year old.

I regret not having enough knowledge of the emotional, physical, mental strain that this puts on your mind and body...That even though I searched this surgery for 2 years I went in unprepared for everything that could and did happen to me...i thought I was ready and knew it all...

I know now that unless you are here fighting each and every second of this journey and admitting that you are learning as you go....Your lying to yourself.............

Regret it.......no! Glad i did it..YES..........Would do it again.......For sure.........

Somethings you just never know until you experience them yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was a game changer for me! The only regret I ever had was momentary right after the surgery and this is very very common. You think you made the biggest mistake of your life but it quickly goes away. When I had the surgery I literally turned away from my old life and will not allow any of my past behaviors back into my life. I try to be very aware of my mental thoughts that govern my eating habits. Thanksgiving was a lot easier than I what I was expecting. I ate what I wanted which didn't amount to much which was only a momentary bummer. Later I allowed myself a piece of pie and it wasn't cheating because I planned it for myself. That is a big difference from the old me. Eating something because I wanted it versus eating something because I planned it allowed me to enjoy it without regret. NO regrets for me! :)

I researched and researched this surgery. I got into this forum and read EVERYTHING. I wanted to know all the different scenarios and the different things I could expect post op. My biggest fear was what a lot people deemed as, "mourning the food." I didn't want to go into the depression that some people got pulled into because they were literally mourning over the loss of their ability to eat certain foods or copious amounts of food.

Now, I'll admit it was definitely difficult post op. Your tummy is small, added to the fact that it is inflamed from surgery, and it is pretty darn difficult to get anything down. But, as many have already stated, that phase passes quickly. I was released to all foods after 6 weeks, instructed to slowly add all the food groups into my diet. I can eat just about anything. Breads and carbonated drinks are impossible, but I still get to enjoy food in small doses. I have, however, made the conscience decision to change the foods I put into my mouth.

Researching this forum and other sites taught me that this sleeve really is a tool--as cliche as that term is on this site. It really is just the nail that AIDS in securing the structure of your new body. It WILL NOT hold the structure. You have to be the hammer that keeps adding other nails to create a secure structure for the long haul. If you want this to work indefinitely, YOU have to make those changes. People who are years out have gained weight back. They stick to unhealthy choices, they eat the same foods that they used to eat pre surgery, they graze throughout the day not watching their calorie intake, they did not make a conscience effort in that wonderful first year post op to re-teach their brain and their body how to eat. I'm not saying you can't eat what you want, but, as a previous poster said, when you eat smart and plan small little indulgences can happen without regret.

I would recommend this surgery 150%! Research doctors, meet with them, ask the tough questions. Ask about their success rates, failures. Find support groups. It can help you change your life for the better if you are mentally ready and willing to make the changes necessary.

Good luck! (Sorry for the long post!)

Edited by Curvy

no regrets. I wasn't prepared for the loss of my baby cheeks and my "girls" but digging out old pictures I realized there was a time when I did have either.

I am healthier now and that is what matters. I have noticed that now I spend my spare time at old hobbies, crochet, jewelry making, and even cake decorating [family eats the cakes].

Hearing there are few regrets helps motivate me to "just do it"! Thanks :)

I'm still rather new to the game (it'll be 1 month in 3 days) and while I've had no regrets, there are a few things I miss about my pre-opt body and struggle with.

Disclaimer: Please do not let my experience sway anyone from this procedure. Whatever lifestyle you choose, even if it's eating whatever, whenever and as much as you want (which was me pre-opt) it's going to have downfalls and challenges.

I think of myself as like a recovering addict -- happy to be clean (which for me is losing weight and eating healthier and making better life style choices), but sometimes I miss the "high" that came from my pre-opt lifestyle.

1. Being able to drink and eat at the same time. Waiting 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after to drink is really difficult for me. I've cheated a couple times, like a few minutes ago. I had a low sugar, high Protein bar that was REALLY REALLY sweet to the point I could only eat half. I wanted some Water or milk to neutralize the sickly sweetness, but alas that 30 minute rule. I waited about 10 minutes, then I took a sip of milk because it felt like my throat was sticking together.

2. Not being able to comfort myself with food anymore. In my community, "food is love". So when my granddad died, everyone was bringing all sorts of yummy food to grandma's house, from traditional dishes, to other favorites like KFC chicken, Cookies, cake, sodas, juice, etc. Everyone was sitting around with plates of comfort. I tried to have a little bit of everything and it was VERY uncomfortable. For me, when I eat too much and/or too fast, the food feels stuck in my chest and like it's right at the back of my throat. It burns and I get a sensation like I need to vomit, but nothing comes up. This feeling lasts 30 - 45 minutes. So when I felt overwhelmingly sad bout Granddad, I had to ride the wave of pain, instead of shoving some chicken in my mouth and having it go away instantly.

3. Throwing away food (My grandparents lived through the Depression and my parents were Baby Boomers. So I was brought up not to waste food. With my tiny banana tummy, I am not able to eat nearly as much as I used to, but I still cook the same quantity of food. It is really hard for me to throw away half a pot of chili, or 6 chicken thighs, etc because of how I was raised, plus I think about people who don't have food in the world. To combat this, I purchased freezer bags, so whenever I cook, I freeze half and leave the other half for husband and I to eat during the week.

I also have started taking food to my parents house which they appreciate because it's healthy, home cooked, free and means Mom doesn't have to bother with prepping food for her and Dad)

4. Holiday Parties/Family Gatherings (I got sleeved on the 23rd which means I was on Clear liquids during three holiday parties and the early Christmas celebration my family held. That was REALLY hard because holidays are normally a time we gorge ourselves, then everyone lays around in a food induced haze laughing and talking.)

5. Not being able to guzzle Water anymore. I struggle to get in 64 oz of water because I no longer drink when I eat and I'm unable to drink as much in one sitting. When I was pre-opt, I used to down 20 - 30oz of water in one sitting. By lunch, I'd normally have gotten my daily intake. Now, I feel like I am sipping all day, and I'm still not meeting the 64oz mark.

Edited by Comfy_Blue