Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chewing Gum

Can someone please tell me are we allowed to chew gum after surgery I'm 5 days out and craving it ????

My doc said no but not why but four things occurred to me

1. Can you imagine if you accidentally swallowed it? It would block the stoma. Not a pleasant thought.

2 chewing gum gets your stomach juices going and may make you feel hungry (I do when I chew)

3 chewing gum causes gas ESP the sugar free. Same with mints.

4 with all the chewing you must do with the band why add extra stress with gum (I have TMJ preband so gum is off limits)

This I think is one of those follow your doctors advice. Mine says no. I think because if you accidentally swallow it, it can get stuck and have to come back up. We're allowed mints but supposed to stay away from gum. Also as you chew gum, supposedly you'll also ingest more air thus causing more discomfort. That's my surgeons rules. I think I've seen elsewhere on here that others do not have that rule.

I do not understand, nor necessarily agree with the many theories as to why chewing gum is frowned upon by some...

I will say, I'm not a gum chewer, and have not since surgery 3 years ago....

BUT the other day, I bought some purely for fresh breath reasons...

As I was driving along in my car, chewing away, something strange began to happen...I started to get that feeling I get when I am getting stuck...or more like when you start to "Slime", but I was not stuck, could swallow Water just fine....

Don't know why that happened...perhaps it was some kind primitive reflex response??? Excess saliva??...Anyway, I threw the gum away....did not care for the way I started to feel...

Maybe it was too much air...anyway, for me, it was another lesson learned from experience....

Edited by B-52

If the band is about esophageal signals going to the brain, maybe the gum is sending the wrong message? Artificial sweeteners tell the brain food is on the way, but also for banded people maybe not chewing gum has to do with how are meals are supposed to start and finish in a timeframe so that satiety is achieved. Just a thought....

Can someone please tell me are we allowed to chew gum after surgery I'm 5 days out and craving it ????

I still don't .I'm approximately nine months out. It obviously will not kill you but it adds air to your stomach and my dietitian point of view it does something to activate your hunger . Best of luck!

I have chewed gum since about 2 wks post op. At first(few days) it made me nauseous from the air but I'm 3 months out and chew it daily and nothing happens. My dr never said I couldn't have it. Neither did my NUT.

I have chewed gum since about 2 wks post op. At first(few days) it made me nauseous from the air but I'm 3 months out and chew it daily and nothing happens. My dr never said I couldn't have it. Neither did my NUT.

Thanks so much this is very helpful!

Same here. I never leave home without it. If I change my purse, my gum will be in it. I loves me my gum. It doesn't make me hungry nor has it ever.

We were advised in our booklet no chewing gum because the air stretches your pouch and also if swallowed it could cause blockage. I would rather be safe than sorry.

I've always been too scared to try it, my dr says no.

Trust your doctor and do what he/she says. There are reasons why each doctor has their own way of doing things, and it's usually based on their own experience.

I wasn't told about gum or mints... I was chewing gum while still in hospital Lol the nurses and Dr didn't say anything... So I'm going to go with the majority of responses and say it's best to follow your doctors orders.

Good luck!