Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi from Ireland!

Hi all. Good to see this thread moving again.

I was banded in Belgium in Feb 06. Wend from 19stone to 13st 11 lbs in a year and then got complacent and have gained about a stone back.

I need another fill but as a single parent again, I just haven't been able to round up the money to travel up to dublin and take a day off work and pay for the fill.

I need to though so I'm going to start putting some money aside and hopefully I'll manage to get up soon. Just feels like something happens every month, between car break downs, weddings, birthdays etc.

I was 14st 13lbs after xmas so I started back in force this week. Just cut out wine, chocolate, ice cream. All those things we're NOT supposed to have!

I still have restriction but not as much as I'd like. I can't eat bread or meat but no problem horsing down big plates of fish and veg which isn't a bad thing but not what I want either.

Must say though, even with just the 4-5 stone gone, it's changed my life. I'm so much more confident and happier.

I got dumped shortly after the op by my partner for a younger, slimmer blone (I'm only 27!) and I think it'd have killed me if it weren't for the fact that the band meant that comfort eating was out. So after he dumped me I went from a size 22 to a size 16 lol.

It made it a lot easier to bear that I could dress up and go out and feel good about myself rather than hiding away because of my weight.

So I've had an amazing couple of years since the band. Some ups, some downs but mostly ups.

Now, off to have my porridge! :(

Hi girls, Well hope you all had a great weekend. I have had an awfulf tummy bug, have had diaohrea (sp!) since last Monday and today is the first day that it has stopped. Feel totally drained. Anyway I just got my date for my OGD, Friday 29th Jan. Cant wait to get back on track and fingers crossed everything is ok with it.

Lil - thinking about you travelling to Brussells. The very best of luck, fingers crossed you will get sorted, it must be so upsetting being in such pain and on antibiotics for so long! My heart goes out to you. I wish you lots of luck :(

Ailbhe - you have done so well!! Your ex is prob sick now that he dumped you, but good riddance!!! You should really try and get that fill. As far as I know there are fill clinics starting in Cork, not sure where you live. You should contact Chris Deprez, if you need his email just let me know.

Love Brenners xx

Brenners, glad to hear about the date for your procedure. Things are on the move and hopefully it gets you back on track.

As I said I'd fallen into bad habits but getting back on track. First couple of days were a nightmare. Headaches, cravings etc but it's all died down now. Back "listening" to my band on not pushing it on meal sizes etc.

Only been at it since saturday and already people are asking me if I've lost weight! My face tends to puff up a bit when I eat rubbish so I think thats more it than anything.

But people saying it has given me motivation and hopefully I can keep going and get out of all the bad habits I got myself into! :mad:

Hi Brenners/Ailbhe/Lil and all.

Brenners, the stomach bug hit us as well, my Dad who lives with us since last May, my husband and both kids got the bug, I decided that I wasn't going to get it:unsure:. Glad you are on the mend and that you have got your date for your procedure.

Ailbhe, welcome back, you have done great I remember meeting you with Elsie and Coco good while back. You must be thrilled with yourself. I am pleased with how things are going, hasn't been all smooth sailing but I have been luckier than a lot of others.

Lil, thinking of you and hoping that things are/have gone well for you in Belgium.

I'm thinking of having a Tummy Tuck done, does anyone know someonoe who has had one done or recommend someone? Not sure if Chris De Bruyne only does Gastric surgery?

Hope ye are all well.

Ger

Hi Gerri

I had a tummytuck fleur de lys the one thats hip to hip and right up the middle cos i had so much excess skin i had boob lift and arm lift at same time 10hour op but best thing ever i got it done in methley park hospital leeds u can look it up on net by Mr Oliver Fenton he was brilliant and excellent care i didnt have the balls to go whole way to belgium for such a big op and im glad i didnt i got a slight build up of Fluid in my belly 2months after op and had to go back over mr fenton kept me in a few nights and sorted it out at no extra cost and kept in great comntact with my gp so had no probs i feel if i went to belgium it would of been hard work getting sorted out

Hi Flirtylass,

Thanks for your reply, I had a quick look at the site for the hospital in Leeds. I've emailed a place in Belguim and the Harley Medical Group as well. Clane hospital are looking for €7,400 for Tummy Tuck alone! Seems a bit steep. Will do some more research and see how I go. Silly question:blushing: now was the recovery for the surgery very painful?

Gerri

Hi girls well I came back from Belgium today minus my port! Infection was too bad to replace it. I'm now left with a gaping hole in my tummy which has to be packed daily by a nurse! The port cant be replaced for a few months.

The whole set up in Belgium is fantastic I couldn't recommend them enough, just so sorry I didn't save myself nearly 6 grand by going there in the 1st place. Frederik and Chris De Bruyne were fantastic so professional compared to ACS. I wasnt even given support socks for theatre or injections to stop blood clots by ACS which was all done in Belgium. The hospital is a proper hospital and spotless.

Gerri Frederik was saying they're looking into doing plastic surgery soon if you want his email address I have it.

After all I've been through I've decided I'm going to spend the next few months exercising and trying to eat the right foods and see if I can even maintain the weight I'm at, my band is empty so please God I'll stick to it.

Well done to you all and keep up the work xx

Hi Lil,

Glad you are back even if it is minus the port. I'm sure Dr Chris did the best thing for you unlike ACS who just took our money. You seem to have the right attitude for going forward and I'm sure you are going to do great. Could you pass me on the email address that would be great and I'd be happier seeing someone who is recommended.

Look after yourself, stay in touch.

Gerri

Hey Gerri

Gota say i had little pain and didnt even take all my pain meds the docs were shocked i woke up laughing after the op and in great form compared to the band op i was sick as hell and groggy for 2days id never want to go through that again i was awake a hour and on the phone to friend who were out on the town and having best of craic and i was fairly sliced up some people thought i was mad doing all the ops at once but im glad i did but i must say it took about 4months or so before i felt completely recovered i gota say i wouldnt advise harley clinic they are the same type of thing as ACS i just wouldnt trust them but then again thats just me im very choosy about surgeons etc but i would say clane would be the best u'd get in ireland any other questions fire away

Hey lil sorry to hear ur home minus the port but fingers crossed you'l be able to maintain and get everything sorted in no time...

Geri, good to hear from you again!! You've done amazingly. I probably wouldn't recognise you at this stage!

I know Chris has a colleague in Belgium who does plastics. Chris himself doesn't do them but I'm sure he can give you a referral.

Tummy tuck - Obesity Assist - Obesity Surgery

If you email Chris he'll respond fairly quickly. He was very good when I was emailing him pestering him about the gastric band lol.

Lil, sorry to hear you couldn't get the port replaced just yet but your health is very important and if they felt that replacing the port was a bad move then it's probably for the best. I too found the hospitals in Belgium amazing, so clean and so professional. I was very impressed and wouldn't hesitate to go back for more procedures.

One week of paying heed to the band rules and I'm 4lbs down! Annoyed at myself for wasting a year fighting it for want of a better word. I could be at target now. But live and learn and hopefully stay away from the vino and chocolate!! :biggrin:

Hi Ailbhe,

Thanks for that info, I have been in contact via email with a group in Belgium but I think I'd be more comfortable contacting Dr Chris. Well done you, 4lbs down in a week, go girl!

Keep up the good work.

Gerri

hi mr hip her from galway i was banded by the hospital group and i think they are great iv had no regets should have done it years ago

Hi guys,

I was banded with ACS in 2007. I lost about 4st initially but I've been at a full stop as regards weight loss for well over a year , despite still having some restriction. I've been in contact with a few private hospitals but they dont seem to want to know you, if they haven't done the op themselves. I still need to lose at least 5st. Can anyone recommend where i could go to, to have the band reviewed and possibly get a fill. Many thanks guys and continued success to all!