Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is my NUT crazy?

I just had an appointment with my NUT today after being cleared on Monday for phase 4 (Soft foods, mushy foods). According to my surgery binder, I should be in the 800-1000 calories/day goal, but here are the goals my NUT wants me at which seem a bit high: 1200 calories, 130g carbs, 90g Protein, 40g fat. The funny part is she wants me to cut back on Protein shakes, etc... and try to have Protein with carbs together (ie - skim milk with half a banana). I honestly think I'll be eating all day long without trying to get some liquid form of protein in at this stage!!!! She was recommended by my Surgeon, so one would expect she's dealt with VSG patients before, but I'm beginning to doubt her abilities at this part in the game.

Don't get me wrong...she's fantastic for giving nutrition information to someone who has a normal sized stomach, as she is very pro healthy eating, and less foods with chemicals etc..., but I'm kind of at a loss right now...Especially since in 3 weeks I'll be going to stage 5 (which is cleared for any food type), and she was spouting my calorie intake would go up to 1600 calories/day. I'm introducing soft foods each day with 1oz servings (fish, chicken, vegetables, etc..) and still hitting around my 800 calorie mark. I think I'm going to just continue following my surgeons advice at this point, as even my NUT had some disagreements with what he had in his binder (like her saying protein first (next to water) wasn't the almighty).

I honestly can see myself at 1200 calories in stage 5, but not right now. She is supposed to be emailing me a sample menu in a few days so I'll see what she comes up with.

Hi there. So much info/different advice here! Scary sometimes. Your stats are similar to my husband. He was sleeved 12/2. and I was on 11/18. I called our NUT because we had no guidelines after week 4, and she said our surgeon wants his patients to eat healthy and make their own decisions after 4 weeks. He told my husband 3 weeks after surgery, only eat when you are hungry, do not try to eat 3 meals a day.

This may sound radical but we have complete faith in this surgeon who has probably operated on 1/4 of the nurses in a large hospital, and he is considered the best.

I just wanted to give you this comparison because I agree with you this is too much food. My husband is diabetic and we steer clear of carbs and he is doing fantastic, blood sugar averaging 110, not 40 or 400. He is also off 1 BP med. Today he had a boiled egg, a sort of large piece of smoked turkey, and FF chicken Soup for dinner. Most nights he has a small serving of smoked salmon as his evening meal. We usually do a shake every morning.

I wish you luck and I would compare all the responses you get here and make wise decisions, or go back and talk to the surgeon. Best wishes!!!

I had my surgery Dec 10 and just started phase 4 of soft foods. That seems WAY too high of calories and so forth. I actually had just this discussion over the phone w/ a nut from my center yesterday b/c i wanted to start tracking via my fitnesspal.com. She stated they do NOT like to tell us exactly how many cal or fat and so forth b/c it is more important at this point still for liquids and Protein. I pushed her for a calorie # and she said 700 - 800. Those numbers (yours) really scare me ! I would call the surgeon ASAP! Just my 2 cents!

If a T2 diabetic I would take great umbrage in NUT's guidelines.

My experience with NUT's 17 years ago when my T2 diabetes was diagnosed was to eat 2 cups of raisin bran with 1.5C skim milk for Breakfast. The other meals were even worse with carbs. Needless to say my blood sugars got worse not better. This was galactically stupid advice

I have no trust nor respect for most NUT's as all they do is parrot what they learned in their books.

I will resist anything other than saying as a T2 diabetic anything over 60/70 carbs a day is way too much. Even that (per Dr. Bernstein's diabetes Solution) is a bit high. He recommends 6g carb for Breakfast, 12 lunch, 12 dinner.

Ultimately it is your choice, your body. No one cares more about your health than you. I would think upping the calories to 1000 would be a good goal, especially if exercising pretty vigorously.

Wow I am 4 weeks post op and can only manage to get in at the most 500 cals a day.

My doctors office will not give me a calorie number, more important to get fluids and Protein in. I will se my NUT in a week so we will see what she says since I can tryy regular foods.

I agree with talking to your surgeon if possible. Maybe he is not aware that the NUT's advice is perhaps different than he would like. Maybe no one else has inquired. I do know that a lot of NUTs don't seem to know what the H they are talking about.

I have no trust nor respect for most NUT's as all they do is parrot what they learned in their books.< /p>

Amen!!

That seems really high...especially the grams of carbs and fat.

My NUT works in my surgeons practice as part of the bariatric center so I am glad for that. I am on soft foods as well.

My average calories is around 500, sometimes 600 depending on what I've eaten but her guideline was 65-75 grams Protein, no more than 90 grams carb and 30 grams fat per day.

I have heard a lot of ppl who are post op 6 months or more on this site say they are around 800-1000 while still losing then close to 1200 to maintain.

I would follow up with the surgeon office, especially if they recommended her.

Best of luck

Thanks for all the comments people! I will most likely follow-up with my surgeons office again and continue following his guidelines first and foremost.