Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First fill!

Had 4, count em 4 ccs put in my band today! I was so surprised lol. On all liquids for 24hrs of course. Did a barium swallow with the needle sticking out of my belly and things went through fine. Is this a normal amount for a first fill?

That sounds great. I'll get my first fill on the 27th so I'm not sure what she'll give me.

Had 4, count em 4 ccs put in my band today! I was so surprised lol. On all liquids for 24hrs of course. Did a barium swallow with the needle sticking out of my belly and things went through fine. Is this a normal amount for a first fill?

I think that "normal" is whatever works for each individual. :D If you needed four cc, than that is normal. :D

I had my first adjustment today, as well. I had my 10 cc band installed with five cc of saline so I had 1/2 cc added, today. Mine had to be done under fluoro, Mr. Porty was being a creep, he didn't want to be found so off to x-ray went I. I am also on liquids for the rest of today, mushies, tomorrow. I had a lovely Skinny vanilla Latte from Starbucks for a late lunch, today. Hey, they didn't specify what liquids, now, did they? :D

I have no idea what is usual but cool you had a barium swallow so they could see what was going on, how tight, etc. Congratulations! I've had four fills and am feeling good. The surgeon does not tell me how much he's putting in, no fluoroscopy, etc. but it seems to be working. Good luck and take it easy. These are exciting times!

For my first fill it was 4cc, I did not tell much of a diffrence. But I had 3 fills total with 6cc in my band and think im getting close.

I don't know what's normal either. Sounds like it's pretty individual. I had my first fill yesterday and he only put 2 cc in. I'm ok with that though.

I go for my first fill 1/22. Within the past week, I was able to eat things I thought for sure were a big no. However, I had no issues.

What surprised me the most was pizza. I had a full slice last night minus the crust. When I knew I was able to do this, I was worried.

When I get my fill, I'm assuming I will be on liquids and then soft foods for a few days. After a month or two passes, will I be in the same situation, can eat more foods and go for a fill again? If so, doesn't it seem the band will only work temporarily with the need of fills? What happens when a person reaches the max amount in their band?

Coach, this isn't really a great comparison, but it will do. Compare it to adjusting your belt. If you take it in one hole at a time it is eventually where you want it. If you get it too tight, you may be able to move but not freely and eventually if you kept tightening it it would reach a point of impossibility. The band needs to be a comfort zone fit for you and will not be the same for everyone. As for the topping of a slice if pizza, that's not that much food really. Before I had restriction I could eat 2 slices of pizza thin slice.

I don't know what's normal either. Sounds like it's pretty individual. I had my first fill yesterday and he only put 2 cc in. I'm ok with that though.

everyone is different so don't worry about the amount of fills. My surgeon doesn't tell me. You will know when your right and what works!

. "only". 2cc's Might be perfect for you. Getting fills too often and too much at a time your going to be miserable. Work with the doctor and tell them exactly how you feel and when you get hungry. Your going to be happy with your band and other days wonder why you did this to yourself! Learn to live with it and work with it. You will do great! Good luck.

Edited by Angelizz10

I go for my first fill 1/22. Within the past week, I was able to eat things I thought for sure were a big no. However, I had no issues. What surprised me the most was pizza. I had a full slice last night minus the crust. When I knew I was able to do this, I was worried. When I get my fill, I'm assuming I will be on liquids and then soft foods for a few days. After a month or two passes, will I be in the same situation, can eat more foods and go for a fill again? If so, doesn't it seem the band will only work temporarily with the need of fills? What happens when a person reaches the max amount in their band?

if you are overfilled, trust me you will know it! Work with your doctor and don't expect a miracle. Your early in your journey. Take it slowly. The band is not magic, but rather hard. You can't be eating pizza regularly and get all the Protein or Vitamins you need for good health. Remember to take BIOTIN! I can't believe how many people complain of Hair loss and thin and breaking nails after surgery, and don't know to take BIOTIN!?

. "only". Might be perfect for you. Getting fills too often and too much at a time your going to be miserable.

Just to be clear, the surgeon was the one who used the word "only" when he "only" put in 2 cc's. What I didn't mention in my reply to the OP is that I've been under a lot of stress lately. The surgeon said that, under normal circumstances, he would've put 3 cc's in my band that day but, with all the stress I'm dealing with, he was afraid it would be too much & too tight. Because of that, he wanted to start with just 2 cc's(again, his words, not mine) and go from there. And I am absolutely okay with that. I'd rather go slow than to go to fast and end up stuck or too tight. I will see him again in 2 weeks and he said that, if I want, he can put in another 1 cc at that time. I understand why he did it that way and agree with him. He just didn't want to rush things and I appreciate that. And in 2 weeks, we will re-evaulate and see where I am and how I feel. I may need that 1 cc or I may not but I will go with his recommendation at that time. I trust him completely. He knows what he's doing. I am still learning but he's a great guy and a great surgeon and I trust him completely to help me find my way on this journey. I have to do the work but he will help navigate and help me find the way.

Edited by countrysweet

Just to be clear, the surgeon was the one who used the word "only" when he "only" put in 2 cc's. What I didn't mention in my reply to the OP is that I've been under a lot of stress lately. The surgeon said that, under normal circumstances, he would've put 3 cc's in my band that day but, with all the stress I'm dealing with, he was afraid it would be too much & too tight. Because of that, he wanted to start with just 2 cc's(again, his words, not mine) and go from there. And I am absolutely okay with that. I'd rather go slow than to go to fast and end up stuck or too tight. I will see him again in 2 weeks and he said that, if I want, he can put in another 1 cc at that time. He just didn't want to rush things and appreciate that. I trust him completely.

your exactly right! Your going to be very successful. Your Dr. Is there for you and wants you to be successful. Good luck.

i had one half of a cc for my first fill, and also one half of a cc for my second fill. I have a total of 1 cc in my band. I go next week for another fill. I can eat anything, no problem, and I am hungry all the time.