Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ONE YEAR SLEEVE-AVERSARY !

My journey began long ago, but on January 11th, 2014 I was one year out from surgery. It has been an incredible journey with many highs and just as many lows! I remember back to the day I had surgery when my husband asked me if I'd do it all over and my response was "NO!". It sucked not being able to even drink Water, well I could drink water, but not as I could the day before surgery. I remember taking small painful sips of everything. Being fat was so much easier. I still to this day think being fat is so much easier. The sleeve is not "the easy way out" as many people who are uneduacted on the procedure believe. If it was easy more people would do it. It takes a lot of work for the preliminary processes and after is even more work. I have so much respect for people who take the initiative to do what is best for them in all aspects of life and in my life my initiative was to live a much longer, healthier life for myself, my kids, and my husband. I do not regret the surgery ever. I have temptations and yes sometimes wish I could go to the buffet and eat like it's my last day on Earth, but knowing what is right and what I put in my mouth has an effect on my tomorrow is what guides me to make the right decisions. I would love to be able to answer questions for anyone who is questioning the procedure and I challenge those who tell me it's the easy way out. I as a mother, wife, friend, and RN support those in the same spot I was one year ago and encourage everyone to do what is best for you! You are in control and determine your happiness and future!

On January 11th, 2013 I weighed 273lbs

On January 11th, 2014 I weigh 168lbs

I included a before and after. The after is from a couple of months ago!

Congrats on your one year anniversary ! And weight loss, you look fantastic.

Congratulations, you look amazing. I'm going for the informational meeting tomorrow. What was the timing for you from first meeting to surgery. What you wish you would have known. Tips that could make others journey easier? Thanks and keep up the great work!

You look great! Congratulations! My question would be have you experienced any negative responses to your weight loss, such as "your getting too skinny" or "don't lose anymore, your looking too frail". I'm scheduled to be sleeved on 1/20/14 and I wonder if people who got used to you heavy are concerned that your too small now? ( I think it's weird when we're overweight no one voice thier concerns, but when you have massive weight loss, everyone has a voice of concern). Also how long did it take you to know when your full (before regurgitating) and know when to stop eating? Thanks in advance! Best-wishes for your continued success

I have heard "you need to stop losing weight you're too thin" but only a couple of times. I just say if you knew how much I weighed you wouldn't think so. I also look much different with clothes on lol. No body really questioned the time it took for me to lose weight as I have more gradually lost over the past year. I would hit my stalls and stay at the same weight for 4 weeks sometimes. I just let people know I look SOOOO skinny because I used to be SOOOOO fat :)

You just know when to stop eating! You can't possibly imgaine fitting anything else in! I try not to ever let myself get to that point, but if you eat something that expands (i.e. oatmeal, rice) the fullness comes after. Also, in the beginning a lot of stuff made me vomit. Now I can virtually eat anything. I have milk when I am feeling I need something as it curbs my appetite and gives a good amount of Protein. If you stick with protein rich foods they seem to make you feel fuller, longer. I was never good at Protein Shakes so I had to figure out other things besides shakes.

Best of luck to you and know at the end of the day the person who has to be happy with you is.....YOU! You are doing what is best for you! Please message me if you need support or have any questions!

You look great! Congratulations! My question would be have you experienced any negative responses to your weight loss, such as "your getting too skinny" or "don't lose anymore, your looking too frail". I'm scheduled to be sleeved on 1/20/14 and I wonder if people who got used to you heavy are concerned that your too small now? ( I think it's weird when we're overweight no one voice thier concerns, but when you have massive weight loss, everyone has a voice of concern). Also how long did it take you to know when your full (before regurgitating) and know when to stop eating? Thanks in advance! Best-wishes for your continued success

You are looking so healthy and fabulous!! Well done :-)

I think the above is a great question to ask because I find people commenting on my weight loss in many different tones. Most are very supportive and positive however some struggled with the changes in my appearance and confidence levels and almost grieved for the loss of 'fat' me even though I'm the same person! I swear a grieving process with the anger, guilt, etc etc lol

Would love to hear your experience?

I have one particular friend who almost seems jealous of my progress in a way that she says I am too thin and I need to stop. I didn't tell anyone about my surgery aside from my parents and husband and this one friend. Only telling her and this being her response makes me feel okay with only telling her as I can't handle too much negativity. I have so many people who support me being "healthier" though!

Keep being you and the best you possible!

My journey began long ago, but on January 11th, 2014 I was one year out from surgery. It has been an incredible journey with many highs and just as many lows! I remember back to the day I had surgery when my husband asked me if I'd do it all over and my response was "NO!". It sucked not being able to even drink Water, well I could drink water, but not as I could the day before surgery. I remember taking small painful sips of everything. Being fat was so much easier. I still to this day think being fat is so much easier. The sleeve is not "the easy way out" as many people who are uneduacted on the procedure believe. If it was easy more people would do it. It takes a lot of work for the preliminary processes and after is even more work. I have so much respect for people who take the initiative to do what is best for them in all aspects of life and in my life my initiative was to live a much longer, healthier life for myself, my kids, and my husband. I do not regret the surgery ever. I have temptations and yes sometimes wish I could go to the buffet and eat like it's my last day on Earth, but knowing what is right and what I put in my mouth has an effect on my tomorrow is what guides me to make the right decisions. I would love to be able to answer questions for anyone who is questioning the procedure and I challenge those who tell me it's the easy way out. I as a mother, wife, friend, and RN support those in the same spot I was one year ago and encourage everyone to do what is best for you! You are in control and determine your happiness and future!

Good for u..I'm so glad I took the time to read ur sorry..I was sleeved in August and every word that came out of ur mouth sounds like I've said it. It's not easy..I still struggle everyday. My kids love the new healthier me.my husband doesn't love me anymore or any less. I'm 187 and started at 260. It's nice to not walk through the door and feel normal.I am doing so much more with my life..I can see people from years high school and feel good about it..good luck with the next year..how's ur skin lol

If I have to take some sort of struggle in life I am totally fine with this being it! My kids love their more active Mom as well :) Sometimes I find myself sitting with a crowd of people and thinking how nice it is to not be the "fat one". I love buying clothes off the rack and not going for the clothes at the back. My skin isn't terrible, but not pretty. I won't wear a 2 piece any day soon or ever. I have 2 children and they did some serious work on me :) I am taller and pretty young so my surgeon said my skin will go back better then if I had waited 20 more years. I hope this response finds you well and keep up the great work! Cheers to healthy moms!

Congratulations, you look amazing. I'm going for the informational meeting tomorrow. What was the timing for you from first meeting to surgery. What you wish you would have known. Tips that could make others journey easier? Thanks and keep up the great work!

You will be so pleased with everything! I went to the informational meeting in April of 2012 and was sleeved January 2013. I had to do dietician visits for 6 months and that kind of stuff too due to my health insurance. I heard more insurances are not requiring this now.

What I wish I would have known-

How painful it was to have my GB removed :)

How DISGUSTING oral pain meds are :)

How much gas pains I would have

That I wouldn't be able to drink freely right after surgery

How much I hate Protein shakes

Things I knew, but took getting the surgery to really know

How great I would feel after being sleeved (a couple weeks later)

How pleased I would be ONE year later

How in tune I am with my body

How I am able to be healthier and how close of attention I pay to what I eat

How I can exercise and have endurance

How I can play with my kids more and be active

How I am no longer the "fat friend"

The amount of confidence I have gained :)

I am now able to drink Water freely and drink easily 7-10 20oz cups a day. The things that were "taken away" at first slowly come back, but it is a second chance to be in control. I have control over food and my health and I couldn't be happier. I hope you have a seamless journey, but be prepared for some bumps! Let me know how your journey goes! Let me know if you have any other questions! Take care and well wishes to you!

You look wonderful!! I am 9 days post off...

Edited by thicvik

Congratulations on one milestone year! You look great and I am glad you made the decision to post your journey for those of us a few weeks out!

My journey began long ago, but on January 11th, 2014 I was one year out from surgery. It has been an incredible journey with many highs and just as many lows! I remember back to the day I had surgery when my husband asked me if I'd do it all over and my response was "NO!". It sucked not being able to even drink Water, well I could drink Water, but not as I could the day before surgery. I remember taking small painful sips of everything. Being fat was so much easier. I still to this day think being fat is so much easier. The sleeve is not "the easy way out" as many people who are uneduacted on the procedure believe. If it was easy more people would do it. It takes a lot of work for the preliminary processes and after is even more work. I have so much respect for people who take the initiative to do what is best for them in all aspects of life and in my life my initiative was to live a much longer, healthier life for myself, my kids, and my husband. I do not regret the surgery ever. I have temptations and yes sometimes wish I could go to the buffet and eat like it's my last day on Earth, but knowing what is right and what I put in my mouth has an effect on my tomorrow is what guides me to make the right decisions. I would love to be able to answer questions for anyone who is questioning the procedure and I challenge those who tell me it's the easy way out. I as a mother, wife, friend, and RN support those in the same spot I was one year ago and encourage everyone to do what is best for you! You are in control and determine your happiness and future!

You look wonderful! Congratulations!!! I can't wait to be where you are. What's your exercise regiment like? I'm about a month out and I'm about to join my local gym. I'm wondering, how your regiment evolved from initial post surgery to now? If you don't mind responding. :)

I am also approaching my one year anniversary. I am happy that Ive lost 92 pounds but put 5 back on over the last month. I still have good restriction for almost a year out but Im in therapy for my food issues. Losing and all I went thru was the easy part and the hard part will now begin. Keeping it off. I have a whole wardrobe of beautiful clothes to hopefully help me stay on track. I am 10 pounds from my personal goal but who knows if I will ever get there.

You are an inspiration.

I am in my 6th week and yes I have the thoughts what did I get myself into. But losing the weight 56 pounds so far I do feel better. Being cold a lot I hate but hopefully that will go away to a point. Eating sucks watching my husband yesterday eat a hot dog was horrible but a took a small bit took the craving away and did not get sick. I will work it off at the gym but a small bit help me mentally.... The docs and nutrich's say don't eat that or that but once in awhile I don't think it will hurt. We are all human and we do crave But if you keep on saying no no no the process will not work. I am not saying eat what you want all the time but once in a blue moon I will do that but work out harder after I eat it to keep the calorie count down.

Think of yourself one year ago. Are you happy with the amount of weight you lost. Everyone is beautiful no matter what you look like or your weight but you will be around much longer to see your kids grow up.

Great Job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My journey began long ago, but on January 11th, 2014 I was one year out from surgery. It has been an incredible journey with many highs and just as many lows! I remember back to the day I had surgery when my husband asked me if I'd do it all over and my response was "NO!". It sucked not being able to even drink Water, well I could drink Water, but not as I could the day before surgery. I remember taking small painful sips of everything. Being fat was so much easier. I still to this day think being fat is so much easier. The sleeve is not "the easy way out" as many people who are uneduacted on the procedure believe. If it was easy more people would do it. It takes a lot of work for the preliminary processes and after is even more work. I have so much respect for people who take the initiative to do what is best for them in all aspects of life and in my life my initiative was to live a much longer, healthier life for myself, my kids, and my husband. I do not regret the surgery ever. I have temptations and yes sometimes wish I could go to the buffet and eat like it's my last day on Earth, but knowing what is right and what I put in my mouth has an effect on my tomorrow is what guides me to make the right decisions. I would love to be able to answer questions for anyone who is questioning the procedure and I challenge those who tell me it's the easy way out. I as a mother, wife, friend, and RN support those in the same spot I was one year ago and encourage everyone to do what is best for you! You are in control and determine your happiness and future!

You look wonderful! Congratulations!!! I can't wait to be where you are. What's your exercise regiment like? I'm about a month out and I'm about to join my local gym. I'm wondering, how your regiment evolved from initial post surgery to now? If you don't mind responding. :)

Hi and Thank you! I have a "home gym" setup. I ride my workout bike and I do the weight machine. I am not at the stage of where I need to tone things up :) I will be focusing more on resistance bands and weights now :) You will do great!

I am also approaching my one year anniversary. I am happy that Ive lost 92 pounds but put 5 back on over the last month. I still have good restriction for almost a year out but Im in therapy for my food issues. Losing and all I went thru was the easy part and the hard part will now begin. Keeping it off. I have a whole wardrobe of beautiful clothes to hopefully help me stay on track. I am 10 pounds from my personal goal but who knows if I will ever get there.

You will get there! I have done a flux where I have went up 5lbs and then back down those 5lbs. It is part of the learning process I think. Being really aware of what I am eating is really kind of cool and something that is still new for me. I am very concious of making sure I get my Protein, something I would have never cared about before. You got this! You can do it! Look at the great achievements you have already obtained! Keep up the great work!